SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-24-14, 12:32 PM   #1
cherbert
Engineer

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 0
Default Dead?

Has it occurred to anyone that this game is dead before it even got out of beta? There have been no meaningful communications from the devs anymore, no patches - the last was a failed patch in Nov/Oct that was rolled back.

Since then there has just been random restarts of the servers to keep stability.

The forums are a joke - there is pretty much nothing happening there.

I'm guessing the plug has been pulled and its just a matter of time before its official.
cherbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 07:01 AM   #2
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Good question, I will contact BlueByte and see what the game's status is.
Old 02-25-14, 10:36 AM   #3
TG626
Lieutenant

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 3

Fun fact: sho lead me to discover and buy sh4 :-)
Old 02-25-14, 03:48 PM   #4
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Honestly I never thought it'd survive this long. Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-14, 12:51 PM   #5
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG626 View Post
Fun fact: sho lead me to discover and buy sh4 :-)
Nothing wrong with that
Old 02-26-14, 01:04 PM   #6
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

I really think this franchise needs a star citizen like project. Not sure if that will / could happen, but i would surely offer a few bucks toward it.
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 05:03 PM   #7
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbert View Post
I'm guessing the plug has been pulled and its just a matter of time before its official.
Official statement from SHO Community Manager

A lot of questions have been raised about the future of Silent Hunter Online and I would like to use this post to give you more information and details on the status of the game.

Silent Hunter Online will not be receiving additional game updates but the game will still be live and receiving regular maintenance. While we are disappointed we won’t be able to continue providing you with new content, you will still be able to continue playing the game as it is now. We will still be present on the forums and support portals for any issues players may have and all communication channels will remain open and active for discussions, questions and help requests.This does not represent the end of the game. As long as we have a sufficient number of active players, the hunting of the wolfpacks will continue.

We know that this is not what many of you were hoping for.

I will continue to be part of this great community as your Community Manager and the entire team of Silent Hunter Online hopes you and your fellow players will continue to play and enjoy the game.

To thank you for your continued support we will adjust the credit packages in our shop considerably. Starting from today you will receive 50% more credits.

We hope to have shed some light onto the current status of the game. If you have any questions, we will happily try to answer them for you.

Our player base, the comradely atmosphere and pleasant chat environment was always something that made Silent Hunter Online special and I hope to see many of you continue to be part of the great wolfpack that is Silent Hunter Online.

reference:http://forum.silenthunteronline.com/...-Status-Update

Last edited by Seeadler; 02-27-14 at 07:13 PM.
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 06:58 PM   #8
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 07:05 PM   #9
dcb
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 544

Cant say I'm surprised. The whole idea of a submarine sim online was uninspired - to put it politely - in the first place. This is no WOT, no hack'n'slash game or mindless shooter appealing to kids or frag-obsessed teens, and the community that embraces the idea of a sub sim needs something more in terms of sophistication than an online, web-browser platform can provide. I, for one, fired up SHO only once, played it for about two hours, found it arcadish and over-simplified and never returned to it again.

As always, Ubi did not listen to what the community loyal to the SH franchise was actually asking for. Instead of refining and polishing the rough gem that is SH5, bringing it up to the community's expectations, they came with an online surrogate that actually targeted everybody and nobody. This is what happens when you try to please too many people: you end up pleasing nobody at all.

Probably this will mark the official end of the SH franchise, at least with Ubi. They will instead focus on the franchises that bring easy profit, like Assassin's Creed (of which they seem to release a new instalment every 6 months or so), on console games targeting a wide audience and on dumbing down every franchise they can grab. That's what they are best at
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-14, 10:58 PM   #10
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

I'm a little surprised. I admit I have not been keeping up with the gaming scene on 2013, but in my defense, I have had a lot of personal issues to deal with. It sounds like the game never progressed from open beta?
Old 02-28-14, 12:19 AM   #11
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Honestly I never thought it'd survive this long. Maybe with the failure of this we can finally but the rights to the Silent Hunter Franchise off of Ubi for cheap?
I once again would like to state this.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 03:21 AM   #12
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Didn't something similar happen with the Falcon 4.0 community? But it may have been due to Microprose going out of business.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 07:18 AM   #13
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

The falcon 4 community is still alive and well, 16 years after its release - so probably not the best comparison!

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 09:11 AM   #14
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCIP View Post
The falcon 4 community is still alive and well, 16 years after its release - so probably not the best comparison!
No, that is exactly why I used them

There are a number of full game rebuilds by the modding community that I am sure would have needed someone's blessing before the code from the original game be used. And as you said, they are doing very well.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 11:43 AM   #15
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i have try logging in several times could never get on but then in a way im not surspise seem like like every release from ubi just got worst least sh1 to 5 you have mods working to make them playable