SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-23, 05:20 PM   #1
Nilus11
Swabbie

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0
Default Map contacts, but only with radar?

I like TMO's implementation of map contacts - nothing besides a black dot, and some general hints about course and speed, with the rest up to you for plotting. However, I want this to only apply to contacts visible on the radar, to simplify plotting. Right now I play with no map contacts, and it gets a bit tedious having to read the radar and draw out a line from my submarine every time I want to create a mark. If the radar is off or otherwise unavailable, there should be no map contacts at all, including those hydrophone "lines". Is this possible to mod in?
Nilus11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-23, 11:41 AM   #2
Nilus11
Swabbie

Downloads: 101
Uploads: 0

Well, after a bit of searching, this can't be done exactly as described since as far as I can tell as the game doesn't differentiate between contacts based on what is detecting them. For those who are interested in a quick and dirty fix, however, I replaced all of the *_shp.dds files in Data/Sea with empty transparent placeholders. This will result in no visible contacts at a certain map zoom level (when the scale goes from NM to yards), and also no hydrophone contact lines if you do the same to their respective files in menu/gui (ContLine and DashLine.dds). So if you're ever in a situation without your radar, just go to that map zoom level and you won't see any contacts popping up. 99% of the time, radar is unavailable due to submergence, and if you're moving in for an attack with the periscope causing them to appear on the map as visual contacts, you should be zoomed in to that level anyways as the distances get shorter and shorter between you and the target.
Nilus11 is offline   Reply With Quote