Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-28-09, 08:17 PM   #1
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0
Default Minefields/Mines

One thing I hope to see have more of a presence in SH5 are mines. Quite a number of u-boats during the war (1/3 in WWI and 10% in WWII) were sunk by mines and yet in all my years of SH, SH3, SH4, I've never once been sunk by a mine. Statistically, one in 10 of my losses should be to mines.

Hopefully it would also cut down on the heavy use of TC by giving us areas where careful attention is required.

What do you think?
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:03 PM   #2
Fluffysheap
Bosun

Downloads: 8

Well, you have the advantage real captains did not - you know where the minefields are in advance.

It also depends on your patrol area somewhat. If you patrol England's east coast, you'll have more trouble with mines than if you go out to the middle of the Atlantic. (Unless you hit a mine on the way there!)

I've been sunk by mines three times, but then, I play a lot of Type II. Actually, in 1940, I think mines are more trouble than destroyers. If I don't want to hit mines, I have to patrol farther off the coast, which means fewer targets, and more of those are neutrals and warships.
Fluffysheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 10:58 PM   #3
kptn_kaiserhof
XO

Downloads: 42

hey guys on the topic of mines how cool would it be to have the ability to lay them with your submarine and get a kill credit when a ship hits it
kptn_kaiserhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 12:35 AM   #4
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Very cool, but you're really fighting the odds on that one.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 01:38 AM   #5
nattydread
Captain

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbografx View Post
Statistically, one in 10 of my losses should be to mines.
Not necessarily true...but I get what you mean. It depends an where and how you operate.
nattydread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 03:22 AM   #6
Fluffysheap
Bosun

Downloads: 8

Oh, also, mines are a lot more dangerous in GWX than in stock. It's possible to hit a mine in stock but you have to be both careless and unlucky. In GWX there are many more mines and they are placed more dangerously, you didn't say which version you played.
Fluffysheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 04:47 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
Oh, also, mines are a lot more dangerous in GWX than in stock. It's possible to hit a mine in stock but you have to be both careless and unlucky. In GWX there are many more mines and they are placed more dangerously, you didn't say which version you played.
We were very lucky to be given a set of Admiralty minefield charts (not available to the public) which enabled us to place the minefields around the UK with a high level of accuracy.

I'd really like to see the ability to lay mines and receive credit for any sinkings in game.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 09:58 AM   #8
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbografx View Post
One thing I hope to see have more of a presence in SH5 are mines. Quite a number of u-boats during the war (1/3 in WWI and 10% in WWII) were sunk by mines and yet in all my years of SH, SH3, SH4, I've never once been sunk by a mine. Statistically, one in 10 of my losses should be to mines.

Hopefully it would also cut down on the heavy use of TC by giving us areas where careful attention is required.

What do you think?
You can't spot them unless you're on the bridge 24/7 at 32x compression max. So it'd be like you're gently sailing at high TC and suddenly you get "sir, we're taking damage"

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 10:01 AM   #9
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

We need RAF dropping eggs to our harbors too.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 11:13 AM   #10
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
We need RAF dropping eggs to our harbors too.

That too could make things interesting as you enter and leave harbor.
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 02:55 PM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 11

Quote:
You can't spot them unless you're on the bridge 24/7 at 32x compression max. So it'd be like you're gently sailing at high TC and suddenly you get "sir, we're taking damage"
Am I missing something? Isn't that the whole idea?
Safe-Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 07:16 AM   #12
DarkFish
Sea Lord

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Am I missing something? Isn't that the whole idea?
Yeah it is but if you can't somehow detect them or know where the minefields are they're just very annoying. I don't want to suddenly get a death screen if I don't know any reason for it.

DarkFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 12:09 PM   #13
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

i too would love an "instant replay" death screen as it were with exterior view camera sort of explaining why im dead.

nothing that lasts too long but just like your last 10 seconds or so of game time being repeated in a way to "show" you why you died

that spin around the boat thing does not help much at all to know what happened and IMHO is something they could have left out
Old 10-04-09, 12:47 PM   #14
looney
Commodore

Downloads: 43

I'd love to see minefields in game.. but I rather get a standard renown number for laying mines then only if an enemy ship hit the mine. Mines where laid not to sink ships (that was only a bonus) but to make ship movement slower, and more costly.

When we get credit for hitting a ship with a mine I think we are trying to lay them in front of a ship and not in a plan for the "Greater" good.

I'd like to command a type 7D and get coordinates where to place my mines and get renown for the accuracy of laying the mines. For instance get 2 sectors where to lay the mines... 1 more difficult (in front of a harbour) -> higher difficulty thus more renown/mine.. 2nd easy place to lay thus less renown/mine.
looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-09, 09:43 PM   #15
prowler3
XO

Downloads: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffysheap View Post
I have personally lost 4 GWX campaigns to mines...all around the British Isles. The German spies have had a hard time getting accurate info??
prowler3 is offline   Reply With Quote