SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-13, 04:37 PM   #1
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Perhaps we could give SHIII the graphics of SHV?
Been discussed several times before, and it's not possible. Much easier to give SH3's gameplay to SH4. Actually, SH4's is better, except for a couple of parts they broke. If modders had paid more attention to SH4 it would be much better than SH3. But that didn't happen, and likely never will.

Now if someone could just figure out how to get the good parts of SH3 into SH5, that might make a difference. There are still a few things AOD and SH1 did that none of the newer versions seem to be able to replicate. We'll see what the future holds.
Old 01-05-13, 09:29 PM   #2
reignofdeath
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Been discussed several times before, and it's not possible. Much easier to give SH3's gameplay to SH4. Actually, SH4's is better, except for a couple of parts they broke. If modders had paid more attention to SH4 it would be much better than SH3. But that didn't happen, and likely never will.

Now if someone could just figure out how to get the good parts of SH3 into SH5, that might make a difference. There are still a few things AOD and SH1 did that none of the newer versions seem to be able to replicate. We'll see what the future holds.
Its definately possible, it just takes time like any good thing. Couple that with the fact that SH5 is probably the last Sub Simulation that UBI will put out or that will be out for a while, and I feel that eventually, as each modder tinkers away more and more, SH5 will get better and better.
Old 01-05-13, 11:07 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNSRCaseySmith View Post
Its definately possible, it just takes time like any good thing.
First, it's "definitely" (sorry, that's one of those little things that make my teeth hurt).

Second, it would require rewriting the code to take the new graphics, which would land the programmer in jail, or at least get him a heavy fine. So no, putting SH5's graphics into SH3 isn't going to happen.

As for rewriting the code, that's exactly what the SH5 team did, and they made it modable on top of it. Current mods have already come far toward getting similar gameplay, and the campaign and ships are hopefully just a matter of time.

Quote:
Couple that with the fact that SH5 is probably the last Sub Simulation that UBI will put out or that will be out for a while, and I feel that eventually, as each modder tinkers away more and more, SH5 will get better and better.
Put SH5 graphics into SH3? No. Give SH5 decent gameplay and a real campaign? Probably. Add ships to SH5? I hope so. It sure seems to be taking a long time though.

And no, I'm not knocking the modders over that. I'm just wondering how possible/feasible some things really are.
Old 01-05-13, 11:54 PM   #4
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Add ships to SH5? I hope so. It sure seems to be taking a long time though.

And no, I'm not knocking the modders over that. I'm just wondering how possible/feasible some things really are.
If anyone did a search to find out just how many people are seriously picking apart the GR2 format?
They would find that SubSim modders are the closest thing to experts outside of RAD Games Tools that you can find that tell you anything.

TDW is working on a great program for SH5 and I had a big hand in whacking the SWTOR style GR2 file format.

But there's only two of us and we both have heavy work schedules in real life.

It will happen. Just not tomorrow.
Old 01-06-13, 10:32 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Cool. I'm looking forward to it, but with appropriate patience. I only wish I had the skills to contribute to something like this.
Old 01-06-13, 01:01 PM   #6
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Cool. I'm looking forward to it, but with appropriate patience. I only wish I had the skills to contribute to something like this.
Don't I know that feeling...I wish I could help out the modders....But sadly...I do not know how.
Old 01-06-13, 02:01 PM   #7
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0

I'm not a WWII-sub fan or player (although I've enjoyed the Silent Service games from Microprose a lot in my childhood) - but it's interesting that the WWII sub genre seems to face a similar problem like the modern sub genre (a la Dangerous Waters) in terms of discontinuity a couple of years ago - although the size of the community for WWII sub sims is much larger.
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote