SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-22, 03:48 AM   #1
Hjeltnes
Swabbie

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0
Default Question regarding sound editing

Hello there!
Been playing with FOTRS the last weeks and I've had an amazing experience so far. I wanted to add a little bit to the sound however, just some small things like when I order a Crash Dive you can hear the hatches closing, my crew running etc.

But I've encountered two problems. First is if I make the soundfile last longer it will only play the first time I order a Crash Dive.
Second is that the sound level gets way lower when played in game. (Just the sound I've edited).

Does anyone know what causes this? Is it a game bug or is it just me being an idiot? 😅

Thanks in advance!
Hjeltnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-22, 01:46 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Certain sounds cannot be over a certain length time-wise. Some are just a few seconds, some 5 seconds, some 15 seconds, some 30 seconds, and others it does not matter (generally, the "ambient" sounds). The sounds also have to "match" stock as far as whether mono or stereo, or 22.05 or 44.1 kHz, etc. Some are 16-bit, some 8-bit. You have to match (for the most part) what is in FotRSU as far as the above. The "Crash Dive" sequence is what lead to "The Sound" as encountered in the original FOTRS, and carried into early versions of FotRSU

The crash dive sequence was one or two seconds too long, and a millisecond of the sound of the bell would get "stuck" after the use of time compression and then Crash Dive. Very irritating. In conjunction with that, as two of the four "Creaks" sounds that were over 15 seconds in length... So the thing to do is to "mix" your hatches closing over the vocal, or something similar, to make your crash dive sequence short enough to be less than 15 seconds in time length. As for the dB level, look in SH.sdl file in the Sound folder, and see what the level is set to there. It should be something around 97. If your sound still is not loud enough, then you'll have to use a compressor / limiter in an audio editor to bring the average level higher.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-22, 05:04 PM   #3
Hjeltnes
Swabbie

Downloads: 69
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the great info, I'll see what I can do with it Hopefully I can get it work. thanks again for you help!

Happy Hunting!
Hjeltnes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod issue, sounds