SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-13, 09:32 AM   #6721
gi_dan2987
Weps

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 0

Copy all UNZIPPED files into a temp file created by you on your desktop. For example C:/User/Desktop/Temp/SH3GWX3 or something like that. Right click on desktop, new folder, name it SH3 Temp. Start a new folder named GWX3.

First off, ensure Vanilla was not corrupted by running v1.4 SH3 (Steam updates patches automatically). Once sure that the vanilla version is running well, then move onto working on GWX.

Download the files from http://www.gamefront.com/files/user/ConningTower in order, only two files at a time max to not clog up bandwidth.

COPY all UNZIPPED (including the .exe) into your C:/User/Desktop/Temp/SH3GWX3 that you created earlier.

Double click the GWX.exe in that directory. When the command prompts tell you to, select the correct file directory using the browse button. should be in your Steam/steamapps/common/silenthunter3 folder.

Also put your JSGME MODS folder in your /silenthunter3 directory.

Everything should work. That's exactly how I did it, though sometimes files can get corrupted. When in doubt, try to re-download the mods.

Happy Hunting!
gi_dan2987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 09:53 AM   #6722
Ignaz Woll
Swabbie

Downloads: 81

What is this? My Vanilla SH3 doesn´t run!
Ignaz Woll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 10:59 AM   #6723
gi_dan2987
Weps

completely uninstall and reinstall. Make sure to clear all appropriate folders manually to get anything the uninstall didn't. Do a clear reinstall of SH3. Test Vanilla SH3. Then do the install procedure for GWX3. It should work, and there's no whiners in Subsim, Neal doesn't tolerate whining
Old 12-27-13, 11:51 AM   #6724
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by gi_dan2987 View Post
Yes Steve I know you were joking. I was joking
Good. While I have a fair sense of humor I have always found it hard to tell what others are thinking, so I have a tendence to make sure my intent is as clear as I can make it.

Quote:
Upon doing research though, I actually did find out that BdU really wasn't all that hot on radio chatter. They would tell the boats things they NEEDED to know and only that. The allies were excellent at deciphering messages, and after the enigma code was broken, the Germans practiced even better radio discipline.
Maybe with outgoing traffic. I don't know anything about that. As for incoming traffic, boats were required to give daily traffic and weather reports for far too long. Historian Peter Padfield made a note of pointing out that the Brits were laughing at the wealth of information being transmitted as late as mid-1943, all the while never figuring out the the Germans were reading their own mail, and transmitting just as freely.

Quote:
Well Steve-o, I found that WB's mission orders does the trick.
Cool. I still don't do manual targeting.
Old 12-27-13, 11:57 AM   #6725
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Quote:
Anybody know how to shut off all the ridiculous radio reports in GWX3?
Look here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174225

H.sie did a hardcode patch, that TC not falls down in this radio messages, but it falls down when nereby contact is reported.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 01:06 PM   #6726
SquareSteelBar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignaz Woll View Post
...My Vanilla SH3 doesn´t run!...
What OS ?
SquareSteelBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 03:32 PM   #6727
Ignaz Woll
Swabbie

Windows 7
Old 12-27-13, 03:55 PM   #6728
Ignaz Woll
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareSteelBar View Post
What OS ?
Windows 7
Old 12-27-13, 05:49 PM   #6729
gi_dan2987
Weps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Cool. I still don't do manual targeting.
Oh come on Steve. It's not that difficult. With fixed wire you have pretty much all you need to attack a convoy with just a Recon report of general heading and speed. That will allow you to plot an intercept, set up 90AOB, take a quick speed reading, set gyro to 000, and fire as they pass your reticle.

Why take fancy shots when you don't need to. Error increases as Gyro moves away from 0. This is due to the parallax between your straight-line scope view, and the actual course your torp has to take.
Old 12-27-13, 07:46 PM   #6730
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Oh come on Steve. It's not that difficult.
You have no clue how many people have told me that over the past eleven years. My brain simply does not have the capacity to gauge things like that. I'm the world's worst shot and my math is 5th-grade at best.

It's just not going to happen.
Old 12-27-13, 08:21 PM   #6731
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

S' ok, Steve. Morton didn't use manual targeting, either.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13, 10:30 PM   #6732
gi_dan2987
Weps

Well I suppose when you think about it, the actual skipper just called out what he saw and bearing/radians of mast height if he wanted a range reading. The rest of the team figured out the solution, and the weapons officer would calculate and set the torps.

So I suppose playing with auto targeting on isn't exactly unrealistic. It's all how you look at it. Plus there's a bit more of a rewarding feeling when you crunch all the numbers yourself. I like math
Old 12-27-13, 10:39 PM   #6733
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I don't use Auto Targeting either. I have it set to Manual, but use Watch Officer Assistance, so my information has to updated manually. It may not be realistic, but to me it feels that way. I'd be happier if he wasn't perfect all the time, though.

Oh, I also use Observer's Assisted Plotting Mod, which only puts on the map the ship you are currently tracking.
Old 12-28-13, 02:42 AM   #6734
Rickster1
Chief

Downloads: 508
Default targeting

I have been playing this game since it came out as well as sh5 and i need help also. As you said sometimes German Captains just aimed sub and shot but most times just shouted out bearings ect for tdc.
Rickster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-13, 10:41 AM   #6735
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I don't use Auto Targeting either. I have it set to Manual, but use Watch Officer Assistance, so my information has to updated manually. It may not be realistic, but to me it feels that way. I'd be happier if he wasn't perfect all the time, though.
IIRC, KM doctrine called for the 1WO to make all observations for surface attack, so using the UZO yourself is not historically correct. Sub commander was supposed to make all periscope observations, but he didn't have to enter the data himself. Identification Party took care of target ID, based on information from the Approach Officer and anyone else who had seen the target (lookouts prior to submerging). Target ID was not determined R/T and was not required for a firing solution. Ned Beach (USN, but procedures were essentially identical) describes an ID made 24 hours after the target was sunk.

The problem we have is that, if we use the crew for assistance, as was historically correct, they are inhumanly fast and infallibly accurate. Ideally, Watch Officer Assistance would use the skill rating of the officer in question to determine both time delay and accuracy. But I'm dreaming....
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote