Old 08-25-08, 06:38 AM   #1
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Default lookin for older sub sims?

try these. they're abandonware and require DOSbox:

EDITED BY HITMAN (MODERATOR)

We do not accept such things as abandonware here, please read the rules!

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1

Last edited by Hitman; 08-25-08 at 04:17 PM.
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 01:40 PM   #2
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

I get the impression that this thread will be zapped very soon due to the questionable sites.

@MOD - However, could we keep the titles for discussion?

I recently checked out Wolfpack. Three things struck me:

(1) Conceptually a very nice attempt to address the larger battle between the subs and the convoy, but sadly a bit arcadish. It didn't measure up to a game like AOD.

(2) Despite using a very low res display, the designers tried to squeeze everthing on a single screen. I don't think that worked very well given the technology of the time. They would have needed at least at 1024x768 display to do it on a single screen without flipping displays like most subsims. Too cluttered, confusing, and hard to manipulate given the low res.

(3) The number of included scenarios were very limited and I did not really feel like building my own.

Does anyone have any other comments about WolfPack by Broderbund? Thanks. (could I have misjudged)
Old 08-25-08, 04:18 PM   #3
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
I get the impression that this thread will be zapped very soon due to the questionable sites.
Yeah, was that your 6th sense?

Quote:
I
Of course
Old 08-25-08, 05:07 PM   #4
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot

I recently checked out Wolfpack. Three things struck me:

(1) Conceptually a very nice attempt to address the larger battle between the subs and the convoy, but sadly a bit arcadish. It didn't measure up to a game like AOD.

(2) Despite using a very low res display, the designers tried to squeeze everthing on a single screen. I don't think that worked very well given the technology of the time. They would have needed at least at 1024x768 display to do it on a single screen without flipping displays like most subsims. Too cluttered, confusing, and hard to manipulate given the low res.

(3) The number of included scenarios were very limited and I did not really feel like building my own.

Does anyone have any other comments about WolfPack by Broderbund? Thanks. (could I have misjudged)
Nope... you pretty well have it. There were some other anoying things as I recall. One was if you put you sub into a dive and then switched to another sub your first one would dive until it imploded.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 06:06 AM   #5
Capt. Shark Bait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3

ummm... ehy delete? it's free for the taking

Corsair Vengeance M70; ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z; FX 8350; Asus 7870; Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX; coolmax CUG950B 950w psu; 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3; Corsair M4 SSD 128GB, WD 1TB; x18 DVR212D; 7SP1
Capt. Shark Bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-08, 09:22 AM   #6
MarkShot
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 93

Ouch! That definitely would be a problem. I didn't even really play; just read the manuals and did one tutorial. I had assumed that any object which you vacated went back into auto pilot mode (the sensible thing to do). Oh, well ...

The concept was really fresh, since it doesn't really appear that anyone has had this vision again with the closest maybe being DW and the link. Maybe SH2/DC also. However, I was thinking that overall command of the U-boat side also would probably have some issues with modeling and sub jumping ... (that's part of the reason I had said that it feel somewhat "arcade"). You can get the same affect in Harpoon depending on the level of comms you choose before starting the scenario.
Old 08-29-08, 04:28 PM   #7
John Channing
Sea Lord

Downloads: 156
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Shark Bait
ummm... ehy delete? it's free for the taking
If you are asking why delete the links it's because most of the games on these sites are still under copywrite protection and Subsim has a long standing anti-theft policy.

JCC
John Channing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 10:35 PM   #8
kondor999
Watch

Downloads: 38

That's great and all, but all of the games I've seen on these abandonware sites simply cannot be purchased anywhere.

So, if you aren't allowed to buy the game, what is the alternative?

Seriously -- sites like The Underdogs are very scrupulous about respecting copywrites. Just try to d/l anything from Microprose, for instance.

Anyway, I don't consider it "theft" (and I really resent that term BTW) to d/l something that *cannot* be purchased.
kondor999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 01:36 AM   #9
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

It's not a matter of "thieft", "abandonware" or anything like that. It's about subsim.com's rules, which are NOT NEGOTIABLE. There is no discussion at all about abandonware, Neal already settled that forever when creating the rules, and no, subsim.com is not a democracy or a Greek republic. Anyone who wants to keep posting here is asked to follow the rules.

Thanks