SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-10-11, 12:21 AM   #3316
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Did you man the stations on the crew management page?

Did you issue the proper orders for engaging the targets?

I as many/ most like to fire the guns myself, so I can't help too much here.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 01:03 AM   #3317
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Default Bow Wake issue

Not sure if this is some graphics setting I did or not.

I see the problem on Porpoise and Balao but not sure if limited to just these boats. Haven't been playing much lately.

Is anyone else seeing this bow wake issue as shown on Porpoise class below.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 04:01 AM   #3318
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 87
Uploads: 3

Hi I have a question - running TMO 2.2 (previously 2.1) and I never get offered any 'special' missions. I've read in the PDF about the more 'gamey' campaign starts, but the campaign options I see in game aren't named, they're just dates and task forces, not all of which seem to correspond with the info in the PDF. On the one occasion I did manage to find a start at Midway, I still didn't get offered 'special' missions.

This is in 2.1 & 2.2, also running RSRDC and a couple of minor fixes. Any thoughts? I liked those missions !

Amazing mod too
0rpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 07:04 AM   #3319
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
I've read in the PDF about the more 'gamey' campaign starts, but the campaign options I see in game aren't named, they're just dates and task forces, not all of which seem to correspond with the info in the PDF. On the one occasion I did manage to find a start at Midway, I still didn't get offered 'special' missions.
That's because you are running RSRD which re-writes both the missions offered, and the game starts.

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 09:04 AM   #3320
razark
Ocean Warrior

Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Missing heads? Haven't had that problem.

My problem is that my boat is crewed by a whole bunch of identical twins...

I would kinda like to see someone else on the boat once in a while.

Anybody have any input on what I could do to fix this?
Damn it, he's back. Last night, at battle stations, I saw this guy twelve times. He's in the Control Room, he's in the Conning Tower, he's standing watch, manning the deck gun, and he seems to be the entire damage control team.

Can somebody please get this guy off my boat?
Old 07-11-11, 01:09 PM   #3321
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post
That's because you are running RSRD which re-writes both the missions offered, and the game starts.
Ha, it had to be something like that! Thanks for the tip
Old 07-11-11, 01:22 PM   #3322
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rpheus View Post
Hi I have a question - running TMO 2.2 (previously 2.1) and I never get offered any 'special' missions. I've read in the PDF about the more 'gamey' campaign starts, but the campaign options I see in game aren't named, they're just dates and task forces, not all of which seem to correspond with the info in the PDF. On the one occasion I did manage to find a start at Midway, I still didn't get offered 'special' missions.

This is in 2.1 & 2.2, also running RSRDC and a couple of minor fixes. Any thoughts? I liked those missions !

Amazing mod too
RSRD does have many special missions, but they seem to be more geared towards the older boats. I get fewer when I move to a Gato, maybe 5 a complete war patrol. Historically older boats did more special missions. Still, you'll get more with TMO alone
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 04:31 PM   #3323
0rpheus
Grey Wolf

I've gone through a whole campaign from the earliest provided start/boat right up to a new Balao in Dec 1943 so far and not seen a single one! Really torn as to what to do now as I really like those missions (not that I've ever been caught by a DD as I've dropped off a spy, but I live in hope of one day making a daring escape), but I'm quite reluctant to drop RSRDC as I've come to enjoy certain shipping lanes!

Shame there's no way to tweak it. Once I've finished this campaign maybe I'll drop RSRDC for a bit and see if it's still as good.
Old 07-11-11, 05:58 PM   #3324
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Depends on the boat. My first mission in the balao was drop supplies. The mission do happen.
Old 07-12-11, 11:48 PM   #3325
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

I think in TMO Special Ops Missions are more related to Home Port then just submarine class.

Running TMO 2.2 without RSRD it says Midway does more Special Ops Missions when looking at Transfer menu.

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 01:12 AM   #3326
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Damn it, he's back. Last night, at battle stations, I saw this guy twelve times. He's in the Control Room, he's in the Conning Tower, he's standing watch, manning the deck gun, and he seems to be the entire damage control team.

Can somebody please get this guy off my boat?
If your boat goes down, it will put the Sullivans to shame.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 08:54 AM   #3327
razark
Ocean Warrior

Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
If your boat goes down, it will put the Sullivans to shame.
They're from a very proud naval family.

I've taken to replacing some of the control room crew with guys from the engine room, just so I can see some different faces.
Old 07-13-11, 01:05 PM   #3328
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
Did you man the stations on the crew management page?

Did you issue the proper orders for engaging the targets?

I as many/ most like to fire the guns myself, so I can't help too much here.
This is something that's annoyed me as long as I've owned SH IV. The AI deck gun crew does such an awful job that I feel obligated to control it myself. It's hard to both fight the boat and control the deck gun at the same time.

Why are the deck gun crews such *horrible* shots? Even if I crew the gun with my top-notch "gun" guys, many of them having a gun rating of over 100, they only hit about 1 out of 4 shots. Maybe 2 out of 4, if I'm lucky.

Range doesn't seem to have much to do with it. I can park 2000 yards away from a freighter, with neither of us moving, and they'll miss a lot of shots.

They are also incapable of figuring out lead when we are moving relative to the target, even when the rate is constant. They'll fire behind or ahead of the target, with apparent disregard of previous results.

I recognize the developers were probably trying to simulate the imperfect nature of submarine surface gunnery, but many of the shots look as if my guys were secretly working for the Japanese, messing up on purpose.

It would also be nice to have some way to estimate range to target while looking through the deck gun sight.
Old 07-13-11, 02:37 PM   #3329
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
This is something that's annoyed me as long as I've owned SH IV. The AI deck gun crew does such an awful job that I feel obligated to control it myself. It's hard to both fight the boat and control the deck gun at the same time.

Why are the deck gun crews such *horrible* shots? Even if I crew the gun with my top-notch "gun" guys, many of them having a gun rating of over 100, they only hit about 1 out of 4 shots. Maybe 2 out of 4, if I'm lucky.

Range doesn't seem to have much to do with it. I can park 2000 yards away from a freighter, with neither of us moving, and they'll miss a lot of shots.

They are also incapable of figuring out lead when we are moving relative to the target, even when the rate is constant. They'll fire behind or ahead of the target, with apparent disregard of previous results.

I recognize the developers were probably trying to simulate the imperfect nature of submarine surface gunnery, but many of the shots look as if my guys were secretly working for the Japanese, messing up on purpose.
I consider the whole gun model aspect of this game to be FUBAR. I doubt the devs really gave it much thought. After all, they couldn't be bothered to fix the radar, sonar, or stadimeter, so why would they worry about deck guns? Many of the mods tweek some of the relevent numbers, but you can't properly fix a grossly oversimplified gun model by changing a few constants; the math is more involved than that.

I noticed similer things in regards about shots going everywhich way. A gun in a bunker will sometimes throw a shot into the water a few yards in front of them, then the next over your hull, or vice-versa. I think you could improve the aim of your crew, but I really think the deck guns are generally too powerful as they are. They are stablized on the deck and are thus too accurate in anything less than calm seas, and the shells are overly destructive. IMO, being able to sink a 4,000 ton ship, with 20 or 30 4in. shells, is rather fantastic. To me, the gun actions have an arcade flavor. It is a very unrealistic aspect of the game.

Quote:
It would also be nice to have some way to estimate range to target while looking through the deck gun sight.
I don't know what kind of sighting they had, but what irritates me the most is if I'm engaged in a gun action and I go to another station, when I come back to the gun, I must reorient it and find the proper elevation again. (This is with RFB.)
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-11, 10:40 PM   #3330
seaplate hitman
Medic

Downloads: 305

If i usd other MOD ,how to make my sub hanging a flag too?
seaplate hitman is offline   Reply With Quote