SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-14-11, 11:48 PM   #3181
eers75
Seaman

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I wonder if the numbers stop there. I've returned home with major renown, but a ship 90% damage and got a newer boat before.
Im not sure myself, it could be just a total coincidence as im not sure the numbers actually represent hull damage or what exactly they are for. However I did just run a 3rd test where I put the values back at 40, went out looking for trouble on purpose and got damaged to around 70 hull damage with no boats sunk and was asked to resign or given a porpoise.

This all could just be my mind playing tricks on me as im not above that lol but for me in my real career campaign ive had one patrol after adjusting the numbers where I limped home with significant damage with a so so patrol tonage and wasnt asked to retire etc and before I believe i would have been asked to retire. Ill keep playing with it to see.
eers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 01:44 AM   #3182
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

I have a short-cut to the above UPC.cfg file on my desktop. Before entering home base I double-click it and change MinimumDaysInBaseUS to a reflect my damage or (more usual!) to reflect number of days at sea.
After a patrol of +90 days I like to give my crew more time to recover and I like to pretend the boat needs a more thorough overhaul.
If new tower/major equipment upgrades are expected I sometimes increase days in port to as much as 3 months...
According to patrol reports of course.

Same method can be used to test AcceptedDamage: save well before port, open UPC.cfg, make change, load save and port.
Can be repeated as often as wanted and this way you can test what impact the change will have with exact same damage percentage...
Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 06:46 AM   #3183
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
I have a short-cut to the above UPC.cfg file on my desktop. Before entering home base I double-click it and change MinimumDaysInBaseUS to a reflect my damage or (more usual!) to reflect number of days at sea.
After a patrol of +90 days I like to give my crew more time to recover and I like to pretend the boat needs a more thorough overhaul.
If new tower/major equipment upgrades are expected I sometimes increase days in port to as much as 3 months...
According to patrol reports of course.

Same method can be used to test AcceptedDamage: save well before port, open UPC.cfg, make change, load save and port.
Can be repeated as often as wanted and this way you can test what impact the change will have with exact same damage percentage...
I don´t need to start a new campaign for change the UPC! It´s a great new...

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 06:06 AM   #3184
Rancor260
Swabbie

Downloads: 37

Okay i don't know what's up with this mod but this is the first mod i tried and it looked pretty cool at first until i met first merchant ship and i fired torpedo at it... So what happened when it hit the target? big hole? fires? No... I got the torpedo impact message and saw the explosion and then i went to see what happened to the ship in external view and i saw no damage at all... no hole, no fires, nothing... the ship was perfectly fine... So i don't know does this mod remove the damage models completely (yes i didnt read the whole list about what this mod changes) or is this just a bug i encountered?
Rancor260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 08:20 AM   #3185
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171

One fish will not always do enough damage to show, also the hole may be below the waterline. When in exterior view go to the ship and dive below the water and look at the hull below the water, you might find the hole there.

If one doesn't give the desired effect setup for another shot and finish here off, not every ship in RL sank with one fish either.

Also if you light fire damage try this mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=180920
Old 04-23-11, 10:03 AM   #3186
Rancor260
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBam View Post
One fish will not always do enough damage to show, also the hole may be below the waterline. When in exterior view go to the ship and dive below the water and look at the hull below the water, you might find the hole there.

If one doesn't give the desired effect setup for another shot and finish here off, not every ship in RL sank with one fish either.

Also if you light fire damage try this mod;

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=180920
I checked below the waterline and both sides but no hole or any sign of torpedo hit. I know that one torpedo isn't usually enough to sink larger ships but i'm pretty sure that when torpedo hits a ship it should always make some damage to the ship (in reality)... and there was not even a scratch on the ship i shot. I guess it was some rare bug i encountered if nobody else is experiencing the same. Thanks for the link to that fire damage mod though, looks interesting.
Old 04-23-11, 10:20 AM   #3187
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancor260 View Post
I checked below the waterline and both sides but no hole or any sign of torpedo hit. I know that one torpedo isn't usually enough to sink larger ships but i'm pretty sure that when torpedo hits a ship it should always make some damage to the ship (in reality)... and there was not even a scratch on the ship i shot. I guess it was some rare bug i encountered if nobody else is experiencing the same. Thanks for the link to that fire damage mod though, looks interesting.
You won't always get visible damage. Just the way the game is.
Old 04-23-11, 10:31 AM   #3188
Rancor260
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
You won't always get visible damage. Just the way the game is.
I guess so. Is there any mod out there that let's you always see visible damage when you shoot a ship with a torpedo? I know you won't see much holes when shooting with a deck gun but on vanilla game i have never seen that a first torpedo wouldn't do visible damage (i haven't played that much so i could be wrong though). I know that when you shoot multiple torpedoes to the same ship it doesnt always show the damage but it would be enough for me if it would show the damage the first torpedo did.
Old 04-23-11, 11:00 AM   #3189
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Is there any mod out there that let's you always see visible damage when you shoot a ship with a torpedo?
I'm not aware of such a mod.

Quote:
... on vanilla game i have never seen that a first torpedo wouldn't do visible damage (i haven't played that much so i could be wrong though).
I've seen it quite often. I've even had ships sink without showing any damage.
Old 04-23-11, 06:53 PM   #3190
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I agree with razark the visible damage not always showing holes form torpedo hits is just part of the game must not be very modifiable either as someone would have made such a mod by now.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:35 PM   #3191
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Only certain parts rerender a damaged look, has no bearing on real damage done, just some eye candy.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:51 PM   #3192
Anthony W.
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Only certain parts rerender a damaged look, has no bearing on real damage done, just some eye candy.
Kind of like a throwback to SH3 where there were no holes at all

Proud Ford Mustang owner

"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" - Admiral David Farragut

Run silent - run deep - keep the baffles clear - targets front and center.

Private pilot and history buff
Anthony W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 11:24 PM   #3193
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

My guess is each damage zone on the ship renders so many holes, one of two at best, cept maybe for the keel.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 12:33 PM   #3194
nohouan
Watch

Downloads: 99

I don't think so. It probably have something to do with the differences of curves, fore and aft : too complex to render, or maybe just disabled because of unrealistic damage rendering (if I had to take a guess). Anyway, some ships make better holes than others.
-How do you figured that ?
Start reaching for the pile of Subsim stuff.
nohouan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 10:52 PM   #3195
alphlvr
Watch

Downloads: 85

goddamn muthor faakien blimmin brilliant, as ever, what the game should have been in 1st place, you have my gratitude for all the workj you put in
alphlvr is offline   Reply With Quote