SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-10-12, 01:10 PM   #1
KING111
Navy Dude

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 0
Default USS Seaviper

USS Seaviper is out I think it's a B movie
but they used a real sub could be worth
a watch
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1274596/
KING111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 04:58 PM   #2
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126

From what I know it didn't make it to theaters.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 08:08 AM   #3
KING111
Navy Dude

Downloads: 223

you can rent or buy it
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/USS-Seaviper/182231/
KING111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 08:04 AM   #4
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Just watched it, what a shocker. The acting was painfully inept and the story line tedious but the redeemming features were the boat and the half decent attempt at realistic operation of the sub (although they ultimately failed dismally).

Yep B grade alright, even the blurb is full of grammatical errors!

Quote:
The Story...

The backs of the Axis alliance have been broken or have they? A U.S. Submarine is sent on a top Secret rescue mission searching for downed pilots and discovers German and Japanese troops together on an Island in the Pacific. The Axis Alliance has all the ingredients for the ultimate weapon. Will they be able to change the tide of the war?

September, 1944. Fresh from liberty on the Island of Hawaii, Horatio Culpepper, Captain of the USS SEAVIPER (one of the Navy’s wolf pack submarines), receives an order from Vice-Admiral Stallerman, along with TOP SECRET information from President Roosevelt, to rescue a downed American airplane near Sumatra. The downed pilot, an American Navy Airman, is rescued with two escaped prisoners-of-war (POW) from a nearby island. But the Japanese and Germans are also discovered to be on this island together and USS SEAVIPER’s landing party is forced to separate. They discover that the Germans have converted a mine laying U-234 into a long range submarine and that the Germans have transported a deadly cargo across the Pacific to deliver it to the Japanese. Why is this cargo so important?

Chief Keenan is forced to return to the boat while the Captain stays on the island. Meanwhile, the Chief must deal with unexpected changes in command. The Ex-O Roitman suffers a serious head injury during a depth charge attack and is relieved of duty. His rival, Navigational Officer, Cutter, rises to power. A stuck torpedo, a flooded compartment and structural damage from a Japanese Destroyer all become life threatening and the survival of USS SEAVIPER is in question. Under direct orders from the boat’s Captain to maintain position and meet the landing party at it’s scheduled rendezvous. The chief finds himself in a power struggle against Cutter’s defiance of the Captain’s direct order. With only enough high compressed air to get USS SEAVIPER to 100 Feet, Low Oxygen, and a Japanese destroyer in waiting. Will USS SEAVIPER be able to return to the surface.
'one of the Navy's(sic) wolf pack submarines' Is that a class?

So they used a real sub for this? Well that's where the only apeal comes from then. I tried to work out what sorta boat it is supposed to be; the external surfaced and submerged views are different but surfaced it looks like a Gato. Maybe they just forgot they had six more tubes? After all, acording to admiral what's-his-face, it is the Navys' best submarine!

They didn't even acknowlage the real U-234 whose story they stole!
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 09:01 AM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I agree, the blurb is poor and the movie looks worse. I won't give it a view.

I do have a question, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troopie View Post
Navy's(sic)
What is wrong with that usage?
Old 08-18-12, 09:15 AM   #6
troopie
Captain

When an apostrophe is used within a word it indicates missing letters, when it follows a word it indicates a possessive case.

So in the phrase: "one of the Navy’s wolf pack submarines" the apostrophe makes it read like so: 'one of the Navy is wolf pack submarines'.

However, the sub's in question belong to the Navy so it should read: "one of the Navys' wolf pack submarines"

Old 08-18-12, 11:58 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
When an apostrophe is used within a word it indicates missing letters, when it follows a word it indicates a possessive case.

So in the phrase: "one of the Navy***8217;s wolf pack submarines" the apostrophe makes it read like so: 'one of the Navy is wolf pack submarines'.

However, the sub's in question belong to the Navy so it should read: "one of the Navys' wolf pack submarines"

Wrong. If it belongs to one navy it is "Navy's". "Navys' would indicate it belonged to more than one navy. In that case it would be plural, and it would be "Navies'"

My computer is not "Steves' computer", it's "Steve's computer".
http://web.uvic.ca/wguide/Pages/SentApostYes.html
Old 08-18-12, 04:42 PM   #8
Kongo Otto
Commodore

Downloads: 203

Wasn't this movie shot aboard USS Drum?

Edit:
There it is:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...t=uss+seaviper
Kongo Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-12, 10:25 PM   #9
troopie
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Wrong. If it belongs to one navy it is "Navy's". "Navys' would indicate it belonged to more than one navy. In that case it would be plural, and it would be "Navies'"

My computer is not "Steves' computer", it's "Steve's computer".
http://web.uvic.ca/wguide/Pages/SentApostYes.html

So I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Cheers for the correction steve, now i've got to go and wipe all this egg of my face!

At least I was right about the Gato!
Old 08-19-12, 07:23 AM   #10
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Cheers for the correction steve, now i've got to go and wipe all this egg of my face!
I've been doing it for more years than you can imagine, and I still get things wrong all the time. All getting older does is give you more chances to screw up.

Or, as I like to say, "I've forgotten more than you'll ever know. The bad news is that I've forgotten..."