SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-21, 05:38 AM   #316
lonehawknz
Mate

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonehawknz View Post
Cracking stuff Sir! It is probably just me - as you say! Thanks for the tips. Merry Christmas!

It was me! The TF's for both actions are there and perform as expected. RSRD had them travelling slightly different tracks. Yours are more accurate.

In "my" Java Sea, Haguro was disabled by Exeter, who was promptly sunk herself, along with De Ruyter and Houston. Java and Perth escaped. Desdiv58 were absolute monsters and sank Harusame and Ushio as they tried to attack me! Four-pipe heroes indeed!

I delivered the coup de grace on Haguro which was pretty much dead in the water, so felt a bit cheaty - but not so different to what happened to Lexington in real life of course.

And just to clear up the earlier comment - I wasn't saying it was unrealistic to represent these battles in the sim. Of course not. Just that a sub commander of the time would of course not have had knowledge of exactly where the encounters would occur, whereas I of course do!! Crystal Ball!

Doesn't alter the fact that, like you, it's the part I enjoy most - watching these battles unfold. Great work Commander!
Old 12-28-21, 12:36 AM   #317
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
never noticed that previously and i will pay closer attention to the geographical circumstances of my victims vs my location at save.

i am a notorious saver just after a battle and so it follows that i would experience this phenomenon because of the proximity of things.

although i have not experienced this in quite a while so i wonder what other condition(s) is/are at work. also, recently, i have not been exiting/re-entering SH4 during a mission and so i am missing the opportunity to re-load a saved file which is key to this phenomenon.

thanks for sharing.

Merry Christmas!

This sim has long had issues(reload bugs) when reloading games, esp when running on newer windows systems etc, what I have noticed. I have a older PC (runs SH 4 great) that I use just for SH 4, so when on patrol, I do not reload games, just leave the sim running, to avoid the reload bugs such as respawns. I do save just in case of the rare CTD etc.

Definitely to minimize issue, as said don't save until are sure out of range and contact with enemy....to be safe I do fifty nautical miles and no contact with any vessel, I do not save near ports or land as well.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-21, 01:07 AM   #318
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonehawknz View Post
It was me! The TF's for both actions are there and perform as expected. RSRD had them travelling slightly different tracks. Yours are more accurate.

In "my" Java Sea, Haguro was disabled by Exeter, who was promptly sunk herself, along with De Ruyter and Houston. Java and Perth escaped. Desdiv58 were absolute monsters and sank Harusame and Ushio as they tried to attack me! Four-pipe heroes indeed!

I delivered the coup de grace on Haguro which was pretty much dead in the water, so felt a bit cheaty - but not so different to what happened to Lexington in real life of course.

And just to clear up the earlier comment - I wasn't saying it was unrealistic to represent these battles in the sim. Of course not. Just that a sub commander of the time would of course not have had knowledge of exactly where the encounters would occur, whereas I of course do!! Crystal Ball!

Doesn't alter the fact that, like you, it's the part I enjoy most - watching these battles unfold. Great work Commander!
Nice! Glad you found it. What is interesting to me is battles in SH 4 do not always turn out the same way in many cases, so keeps things interesting. Couple things coming soon. After some altering of sensors, enemy surface ships will engage each other at more realistic distances, especially in daylight, so no more point blank fights every time. In testing, I had heavy cruisers dueling with one another at 12000-15000 yards, depending on various factors. The one test I did with BB's had them firing at about same distance, little further. At night AI ships tend to fire on one another from 6000-10000 yards, possibly further if have radar, optimal visibility etc. Fun part is none of them were opening fire on player submarine from such distance, since a sub is difficult to spot. With the gunfire error angle increased, they do not have sniper like gunfire and battles last longer, some even matching with history in time and results.

I also plan to have AI destroyers and other surface ships so equipped, firing torpedoes. I will try to make the Japanese torpedoes superior in performance since they were for most of the war. Should be interesting to

Glad you noticed the more accurate route. I attempted to make the traffic in my mod, especially the battles such as this, historically accurate as possible...in both the composition of forces, the routes they take, position at certain times etc. Of course, this was time consuming and difficult at times, since the world in SH 4 is not round, so the distances and times are a bit off from reality, so had to get creative at times when scripting the movements.
Old 12-28-21, 01:28 AM   #319
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Nice! Glad you found it. What is interesting to me is battles in SH 4 do not always turn out the same way in many cases, so keeps things interesting. Couple things coming soon. After some altering of sensors, enemy surface ships will engage each other at more realistic distances, especially in daylight, so no more point blank fights every time. In testing, I had heavy cruisers dueling with one another at 12000-15000 yards, depending on various factors. The one test I did with BB's had them firing at about same distance, little further. At night AI ships tend to fire on one another from 6000-10000 yards, possibly further if have radar, optimal visibility etc. Fun part is none of them were opening fire on player submarine from such distance, since a sub is difficult to spot. With the gunfire error angle increased, they do not have sniper like gunfire and battles last longer, some even matching with history in time and results.

I also plan to have AI destroyers and other surface ships so equipped, firing torpedoes. I will try to make the Japanese torpedoes superior in performance since they were for most of the war. Should be interesting to

Glad you noticed the more accurate route. I attempted to make the traffic in my mod, especially the battles such as this, historically accurate as possible...in both the composition of forces, the routes they take, position at certain times etc. Of course, this was time consuming and difficult at times, since the world in SH 4 is not round, so the distances and times are a bit off from reality, so had to get creative at times when scripting the movements.
Am very much, looking forward to the new update release with bated breath, Bubblehead1980, My subsim chum.

M. M.
Old 12-28-21, 04:05 AM   #320
lonehawknz
Mate

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post

Agree with Mad Martigan! Looking forward to it! Thanks again!

Old 12-28-21, 03:52 PM   #321
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Am very much, looking forward to the new update release with bated breath, Bubblehead1980, My subsim chum.

M. M.
Hey MAD Mardigan, I agree with you entirely

hey Bubblehead1980
I just got back on it again .. I can't find a way to solve my smoking problem on the boats. As you know I had already pointed out to you ... and it really annoys me that yours resists me ... with this problem because it is ugly yet I have to search in vain ..
I have your version .. as well as TmO 2.5 go up to my sauce .. yours is clearly superior .. all of the least for the I.A
I played again yesterday .. I must say it is really hard core, no room for improvised & random attacks. On the same mission to try several times each time it was different which is really very good especially the terrible night attacks with the dd which are particularly aggressive and do not let you go any time soon ..

good me too I can not wait to see more .. because I have read some thread of your ideas it bodes only good ... and very good ...
Sincerely KM_U669
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 10:07 AM   #322
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

My latest adventures:

First, still enjoy this new version of the mod. I manage to get to early 43 in a Fremantle campaign, with my Salmon class sub. And began to seeing more and more ships and small convoys during patrols.

Was ask if I wanted a new sub, said yes, thinking of a Gato class. Got a Gar... But decided to go with it anyway.

Just one patrol, since I did take some rash decisions, but when returning to base, got a Purple Heart (possible since several crew got injured during the patrol, so possible "I" did so [or was just for the indigestion of the holidays food]), and another question for continuing the campaign. Said yes and got the USS Balao!

Now in Midaway, May 43 for more specific missions, already have to deploy a spy!

Problems found: I got a CTD when exiting Midway, at over 1024x time compression. Could have do to that or my PC did not handle it do to all the things at that moment.

Problem solved: in my last post here, I refer that many sounds were not playing, I could not hear guns firing, the slashes of the depth charges, a few others. It was a mistake of my end.

Some how, the sound file was not download properly, so it missed almost every file. After an proper re-download and installation, all good.

By the way, any good Balao skins? I feel that getting a new boat, and the normal skin showing rust and other weather down textures, is not "real".
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 11:14 AM   #323
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes View Post
My latest adventures:

First, still enjoy this new version of the mod. I manage to get to early 43 in a Fremantle campaign, with my Salmon class sub. And began to seeing more and more ships and small convoys during patrols.

Was ask if I wanted a new sub, said yes, thinking of a Gato class. Got a Gar... But decided to go with it anyway.

Just one patrol, since I did take some rash decisions, but when returning to base, got a Purple Heart (possible since several crew got injured during the patrol, so possible "I" did so [or was just for the indigestion of the holidays food]), and another question for continuing the campaign. Said yes and got the USS Balao!

Now in Midaway, May 43 for more specific missions, already have to deploy a spy!

Problems found: I got a CTD when exiting Midway, at over 1024x time compression. Could have do to that or my PC did not handle it do to all the things at that moment.

Problem solved: in my last post here, I refer that many sounds were not playing, I could not hear guns firing, the slashes of the depth charges, a few others. It was a mistake of my end.

Some how, the sound file was not download properly, so it missed almost every file. After an proper re-download and installation, all good.

By the way, any good Balao skins? I feel that getting a new boat, and the normal skin showing rust and other weather down textures, is not "real".
With downloads, sometimes... not always but... it will on rare occasions happen that not all the files will get... properly downloaded with the rest. Weird but... it happens. Or, they will, but... the unzip will mess up, also rare but does occur.

As for the everyday occurrence of wear & tear... this... holds true for even SH3, as well as SH5. The engine for them, is not set up to handle the minute, minute by minute wear & tear details that occurred in real life. So, it is down to either... you have a sub that looks like it rolled off the assembly line... factory fresh... or using mods created... (that work with the intended mod version you're rolling with... ) that have one's sub, so that it looks like it has been through Hades & back. That, is also true for the other ships in built...

Do know that there were a couple of different skins for the Balao, 1 that even mimicked the appearance of the "Stingray" from the movie "Down Periscope".
(funny movie, that is modern set, using a WW2 diesel sub as the bedrock for the movie. Think... McHale's Navy meets Crimson Tide, equals... love child... If you haven't watched it... highly recommend watching it, at least once... )

Don't know if those would work in the mod set... without causing issues... or not.

Hope this info helps.

M. M.
Old 01-03-22, 02:39 PM   #324
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Do know that there were a couple of different skins for the Balao, 1 that even mimicked the appearance of the "Stingray" from the movie "Down Periscope".
i hope they have one in turquoise.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 06:45 PM   #325
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Or Pink!

Yes, already saw Up Periscope a few times. My funny story about sub movies, at least old ones, was, when I had TCM on my cable service, it aired Torpedo Run, Destination Tokyo, etc. And of course, Ice Station Zebra, almost Ad Nauseam.
The channel is long gone from my TV/net/telephone service, and with the years gone, I did have "saudade" of seeing those films again. Did eventually bought them with others like Operation Petticoat to see them again.

Well, I may eventually scratch the sub in those shallow waters when dropping the spy, then the game skin would be proper.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-22, 08:00 PM   #326
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
Or Pink!
do you know from where the line in turquoise comes?

LAA enabled
Old 01-03-22, 08:08 PM   #327
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
do you know from where the line in turquoise comes?
Quote:
That's when Grammer, as Dodge, drives up to the HQ, in a wanna say, turquoise... late 50'ish, maybe mid '60's, Ford T-bird... hops out then quotes that line... just before finding out, "his" new command is the Balao class sub, the "U.S. S. Stingray".

M. M.
Old 01-03-22, 10:12 PM   #328
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Hey MAD Mardigan, I agree with you entirely

hey Bubblehead1980
I just got back on it again .. I can't find a way to solve my smoking problem on the boats. As you know I had already pointed out to you ... and it really annoys me that yours resists me ... with this problem because it is ugly yet I have to search in vain ..
I have your version .. as well as TmO 2.5 go up to my sauce .. yours is clearly superior .. all of the least for the I.A
I played again yesterday .. I must say it is really hard core, no room for improvised & random attacks. On the same mission to try several times each time it was different which is really very good especially the terrible night attacks with the dd which are particularly aggressive and do not let you go any time soon ..

good me too I can not wait to see more .. because I have read some thread of your ideas it bodes only good ... and very good ...
Sincerely KM_U669

Again, I am really not sure what is causing your texture issue with the smoke, as stated before. That is the smoke mod by vickers03 and looks fine on my end. At end of the day, least have smoke visible at distance for tracking etc.

Yes, TMO, compared to other mods is somewhat hardcore and my update retains this crucial element of the mod. However, the night surface attacks are not impossible as before. Definitely need to use sound strategy and tactics, off the cuff attacks are possible, but not as easy as in say stock.

Glad you are enjoying the mod. I return from vacation on Wednesday, hope to wrap up a few things and release the next update this month.
Old 01-03-22, 11:15 PM   #329
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
My latest adventures:

You were received a Gar since you have a Salmon Class. The upgrade order is S Boat>Porpoise>Salmon/Sargo>Gar/Tambor> Gato>Balao>Tench. Of course depends on the date, etc. You had a Salmon and and thus went to to a Gar. This is a legacy TMO/stock SH 4 item, something my upgrade has not touched.

Seems you have noticed traffic patterns do change as the war goes on . I designed them to be historically accurate as possible. 1941-1942 will encounter more unescorted singles, a few escorted ones, perhaps some localized escorts and a few convoys, but they are japanese style convoys of time period, quite small by allied standards. Typically one escort, three to four merchants. Mid 1943, representing when Japan began truly organized convoys on a regular basis, will see larger ones, in more defined sea lanes. The HI Convoys (Singapore-Imari Bay, Japan) start during this period. Fall of 1943 things really change. Unescorted merchants become quite rare and larger convoys, well escorted convoys will appear.

CTD at Midway: Yes, NEVER a good idea to use above 256 time compression at Midway or any port really, even on a top tier system. The land and port facilities, with harbor traffic etc being rendered can overwhelm the game and system and cause a CTD.

Far as the skin issue for Balao....check the optional mods (TMO) file included in the download. You will see Foobars Hi Res Skins TMO. Place the mod to the MODS folder, activate via JSGME. Check the README regarding mod installation order (this is an optional mod) This provides a better skin, one which is more realistic, especially for the Balao.
Old 01-03-22, 11:20 PM   #330
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
That's when Grammer, as Dodge, drives up to the HQ, in a wanna say, turquoise... late 50'ish, maybe mid '60's, Ford T-bird... hops out then quotes that line... just before finding out, "his" new command is the Balao class sub, the "U.S. S. Stingray".

M. M.
right...however the question was directed to Rhodes.
and it is either a '55 or a '56 T-bird. those two model years are almost indistinguishable unless one is a Ford T-Bird fanatic.

LAA enabled