SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-20, 06:26 PM   #871
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I just spent the afternoon deleting and reinstalling Steam and SH4, including the Save folder, and getting JSGSME to load the mod. JGSME indicates it has been enabled but I don't see any differences from stock. There are no Aleutian options listed in the Quick Patrols menu. Quick recon to Palau in early 1944 turned up no new aircraft or ship types, unremarkably, nor signs of a naval base around Truk.

Also the mislocated base at Halmahera, listed as Mios Woendi, is still there.

Game is installed in C:\Games\SilentHunter4

For future reference: Win10 Pro, 64 bit, 1.8/1.99 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, Intel UHD 620.
KaleunMarco bumped me to page 2... rather, 59... lol

I am having trouble with Steam since their last set of "updates", but where do you have Steam installed? Thus far, what I have had to do with Windows 10 and Steam, is to install Steam outside of the Program Files folder also, and my SH3 & SH5 games below that, such that I now have "C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \SH3". From there, I can do the modding. However, I cannot copy that install anywhere else - I am stuck with one copy of the game, and have to be careful modding and taking care of the Save folder all of the time now. No more copying the game to other places anymore apparently... My Windows 7 machine is not like that...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 07:25 PM   #872
SubmarinerJoe
Watch

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Question about Exfiltration Mission

Loving this mod so far but I have encountered a mission that I don't really know how to best complete so I figured i'd ask here first before wasting time in-game.

I dropped off a coastwatcher and squad on the coast south of Rabaul and was ordered to patrol the area. I was then told, more or less, that his mission had gone to hell and that he was being aggressively pursued. The map location says to go back to the original area but it says something about them being in a boat, "headed southeast from the point on the north side of the original insertion area."

I know this is probably a dumb question but are they really in a boat and i'm supposed to comb the waters for them or just wait near the coast? In real life I would do the former since that's what was explicitly stated but I don't want to necessarily apply real life to a situation that's limited by game mechanics.
SubmarinerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 08:06 PM   #873
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubmarinerJoe View Post
Loving this mod so far but I have encountered a mission that I don't really know how to best complete so I figured i'd ask here first before wasting time in-game.

I dropped off a coastwatcher and squad on the coast south of Rabaul and was ordered to patrol the area. I was then told, more or less, that his mission had gone to hell and that he was being aggressively pursued. The map location says to go back to the original area but it says something about them being in a boat, "headed southeast from the point on the north side of the original insertion area."

I know this is probably a dumb question but are they really in a boat and i'm supposed to comb the waters for them or just wait near the coast? In real life I would do the former since that's what was explicitly stated but I don't want to necessarily apply real life to a situation that's limited by game mechanics.
welcome Joe.

are you sure you are playing SH4?
i have played that mission many times and have never encountered that situation...where the supply-guys are being pursued and i must return to get them.
can you post a screen print of your orders?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 08:09 PM   #874
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
KaleunMarco bumped me to page 2... rather, 59... lol
oh yeah, sure....blame it on me!

LAA enabled
Old 05-02-20, 08:43 PM   #875
SubmarinerJoe
Watch

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
welcome Joe.

are you sure you are playing SH4?
i have played that mission many times and have never encountered that situation...where the supply-guys are being pursued and i must return to get them.
can you post a screen print of your orders?
Sure, I think it's a mission custom to this mod:

SubmarinerJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 09:19 PM   #876
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re:Mios 4Me /Re: Enabled but not activated.?

Quote:
I just spent the afternoon deleting and reinstalling Steam and SH4, including the Save folder, and getting JSGSME to load the mod. JGSME indicates it has been enabled but I don't see any differences from stock. There are no Aleutian options listed in the Quick Patrols menu. Quick recon to Palau in early 1944 turned up no new aircraft or ship types, unremarkably, nor signs of a naval base around Truk.

Also the mislocated base at Halmahera, listed as Mios Woendi, is still there.

Game is installed in C:\Games\SilentHunter4

For future reference: Win10 Pro, 64 bit, 1.8/1.99 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, Intel UHD 620.
Just for the record, the following is how I have my steam driven copy of SH4 installed:

C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\*name of the mod flavor you want to run with, just replace this with that name, NO SPACES.!*

For this, as an example, I went with for Fall of the Rising Sun with:

C:\Games\Silent-Hunter\SH4-Steam\steamapps\common\FotRS-U-EN

I keep the base copy of SH4, all by itself in the common\ *just as steam tagged it...*, with FotRS-U-EN, in a separate folder in common\ & each copy that I want to look at doing, is copied from common\*just as steam tagged it* (with the folder copy of the unmodded being set into desktop, to undergo repair work*insert sparks flying & sound of hammering ongoing*main copy being name changed to the mod I am going to run with, then taking the now renamed folder (ex.FotRS-U-EN).. & yes, in the steam tagged main copy now renamed to the mod I am going to run with, there is a jsgme in there, as well as a multiSH4 so as to be able to do a separate game save folder... have learned through hard trial & error to do so... and so, I impart this tid bit of wisdom, unto you... young grass hoppah...*in my best approximation of the wizened old kung fu master*

I did this with a 2 HD drive set up computer, with the main one, which runs the whole show with Win Opsys, the drive, of course named C:\ & the 2nd drive named E:\

E:\ holds Steam launcher itself & told it for all installs to do games into C:\Games accroding tagged to what the game flavor is.

After getting the copy of SH4 copied, dropped into desktop for the renaming party, then set back into common\ (by itself, never stick it back into the *as steam tagged it* folder.! I then, do as I need to for the jsgme, add in the mods into the mods folder created when you run jsgme, change the SH4.exe to the short name of the mod (ex. FotRS-U-EN-SH4.exe), run multiSH4, so as to have a fresh game save folder for the whole shebang.. send a copy of the jsgme, run it and set up the mod order as it needs being done, close it down, send a copy of the renamed SH4.exe to the desktop, run LAA & run a final check of the whole shebang.

Hope this info helps you out Mios 4Me

Old 05-02-20, 09:56 PM   #877
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Sure, I think it's a mission custom to this mod:
thank you for the feedback.
i have never seen that mod or mission previously.

LAA enabled
Old 05-02-20, 09:57 PM   #878
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Thanks for all the assistance, everyone; the problem was the separation from the steam pathway.

The problem now is that, despite fully deleting both Steam and SH4 and reinstalling, the game won't load. A small window opens, too briefly to read, but I suspect it's a DRM issue. Oh, and when I load jgsme after the reinstallation, the mod is already in place and enabled.

The new pathway is C:\Games\steamapps\common\SilentHunter4

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 05-02-20 at 10:10 PM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-20, 10:31 PM   #879
propbeanie

Quote:

You will find them in a life raft, if you can find them. They are not worth too many points (150??). You pick them up just like you do a regular "Survivor". The raft is just a "clone" of that, so you would see the pink cloud in the area, then two or three persons in the boat. Usually, the crew will not announce "seeing" them until your are under 1100 yards away. Small boat, I guess... You approach the final distance slow, be on the bridge with the Bridge menu buttons, which has a life-preserver ring button, and when you get within about 400-500 yards, use the binoculars to aim near the raft such that during wave swells they pass in front of the binocular's cross hatch, and as that turns from yellow to red, you press the life-preserver ring button and affect the pick-up. If you are close to the area at the time of the new orders coming over, you can usually find them. If you're instead on the other side of the Sea, you usually cannot get back in time to find them. I might try to change that, come to think of it...

Quote:
Thanks for all the assistance, everyone; the problem was the separation from the steam pathway.

The problem now is that, despite fully deleting both Steam and SH4 and reinstalling, the game won't load. A small window opens, too briefly to read, but I suspect it's a DRM issue. Oh, and when I load jgsme after the reinstallation, the mod is already in place and enabled.

The new pathway is C:\Games\steamapps\common\SilentHunter4
Glad you got it. As Mad Mardigan mentions about his set-up, it is different from what you could do just a few weeks ago. I'll have to try his way on my Win10 box. With Windows 7, I have no issues.

Old 05-02-20, 10:54 PM   #880
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Glad you got it. As Mad Mardigan mentions about his set-up, it is different from what you could do just a few weeks ago. I'll have to try his way on my Win10 box. With Windows 7, I have no issues.
That part, yes. Sadly, I can't even play stock with this new issue. The only thing I didn't uninstall was the mod in the Download folder, on the assumption that hadn't been changed during the process.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 02:02 AM   #881
Baxder
Nub

Downloads: 27

Hey all; as I've said elsewhere, I'm returning to SHIV for the nth time after a few years of absence, and was pleasantly surprised to see a brand new supermod waiting for me here! Thank you! I'm about to begin my third patrol with no issues.

I am at a loss, however, on how to manage my crew. I appreciate the added realism that prevents a Captain from having a literal boatful of Chiefs, but I don't understand how to work around what seems to be the opposite extreme in this mod. I can't promote a single E-6 without literally dismissing ALL of my existing Chiefs! I feel like I must be missing something...any suggestions?
Baxder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 02:59 AM   #882
nik112
Captain

Downloads: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik112 View Post
Hi all
I want to ask if in late versions still dd's attacking with torps at subs

Thanks

ps It's a masterpiece

????
nik112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 08:23 AM   #883
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxder View Post
Hey all; as I've said elsewhere, I'm returning to SHIV for the nth time after a few years of absence, and was pleasantly surprised to see a brand new supermod waiting for me here! Thank you! I'm about to begin my third patrol with no issues.

I am at a loss, however, on how to manage my crew. I appreciate the added realism that prevents a Captain from having a literal boatful of Chiefs, but I don't understand how to work around what seems to be the opposite extreme in this mod. I can't promote a single E-6 without literally dismissing ALL of my existing Chiefs! I feel like I must be missing something...any suggestions?
When you say "managing" your crew, there isn't much of that in SH4, of course. As for the promoting, We have another update that should help in that regard in the next release, of which we might have to drop a couple of issues and just go with what we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik112 View Post
????
Sorry we missed that earlier nik112... but "Yes" the DD and DE, as well as CL and CA and BB if so equipped, can shoot torpedoes at you if you keep your periscope up and they get a bead on you, as well as are able to turn the tube launcher your way. It takes about as long to do as shooting the main guns on a BB, so if you are close to a BB and see the guns about on your location, the ships with torpedoes are launching same. So you have roughly 15 seconds initially before you'll see a response to your periscope, and then a similar response time to launch. If you come back up with the scope a 2nd time too soon while in the same vicinity, they will react faster. We might attempt an add-in later that would minimize the torpedoes, but we are still trying to track down the deck gun issue, or roll it back to what it was (which was relatively predictable), as well as at least 2 other issues, so when we get time...

Old 05-03-20, 11:51 AM   #884
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

USS Gudgeon (USS-211) Gar Class, Home Port: Pearl Harbor
Date and Time of Incident: 13Feb43, 02:30 Hrs
Location: Lat 33° 37' N. Long 134°40' E., Kii Suido, Assigned to Area 6 to engage and sink enemy shipping.
Weather: Partial clouds with no rain or fog and wind speed was 14 mps, direction was 353.

Sonar Contact led to a Radar contact which showed five contacts in a single file line heading in a SSW direction at approximately six knots. As the convey came closer, I was able to get a visual with the TBT. Ships ID as following. Large Passenger Carrier, Medium Fleet Oiler, Medium Combifreighter and a Hospital Ship bring up the rear. A DE Tachibaba was weaving around the Large Passenger Carrier, when it crossed the bow of the Large Passenger Carrier on the starboard side, which caused two ships to be entangled together. The DE kept pushing the Large Passenger Carrier to the port side which caused the ships to go in a circle. The other ships when in all directions as if the led ship had sunk. Finally the two ships got themselves free and started in a SSW direction. I was able to get into position and set up on the Large Passenger Carrier to attack with four torpedoes, three hits and the last one missed astern. It was enough sink the Large Passenger Carrier. With the led ship sunk, the others went into different directions. Without the leader, the others came back together and stopped as if waiting on orders what and where to go.

C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-20, 12:18 PM   #885
propbeanie

I hate it when they do that... was the Tachibana cutting in front of the liner to come after your sub, after detecting you? The cause of the ships standing still afterwards is maybe from the damage the Tachibana suffered, and they were waiting on it to be repaired enough to continue, or they were waiting on it to prosecute an ASW attack upon thyself... I forget what the "hierarchy" of leader is, but generally speaking, the baton is passed to another ship in the group, and I am thinking it goes in spawn percentage order - but don't quote me on that...

Your image is from 0336 hours. What time was the liner "officially" listed as "Sunk"? Usually, within 30 minutes, if your submarine is not detected, they will continue onward. My guess, in the game, they stand still so that the escort has a better chance of hearing your boat. With seas like that though, it will be rather tough on them to find you...