SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-23, 04:48 PM   #1
sortofredhead
Bosun

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default TMO BH Photo Assignment fail

I have a mission to Photograph a Honshu installation but when I get on station absolutely nothing appears in periscope that I can lock on to take photo.

I am close enough, it is light, there are items visible on shore, but no lock, no photo. I assume this is just a TMO BH issue with this mission, or is there something I am missing? If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks.
sortofredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-23, 07:33 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

All five of the Photo Honshu missions in the mod are the same basic deal with the text of "Intelligence has requested an update on the enemy presence in [Yaizu, Ishinomaki, Osaka, Hiroshima, Tsursaki] harbor. Recon the area and, if possible, infiltrate the anchorage and photograph any enemy ships encountered." for the mission briefing, with slight differences between the wordings. The key phrase is "photograph any enemy ships", but with a caveat. The photo score, which the player cannot see, is set to 20, so since the game uses a 10% score figure (I do not know why they used that "logic"... ), so you need a ship worth 200 renown points or more. Some merchants in the mod are not worth that much. so you'll need one of the big ones, a larger tanker, or passenger liner, or a CL Class and up, as far as warships go. If there are no ships of an appropriate type in the harbor, then you would have to leave and try again later, or just forget it altogether and go sink some ships. You would lose the 300 renown points for the mission objective, but you would make up for that with other ships sunk...

Now, the photograph stuff is a bit rather fiddly anyway, and you do have to use the periscope, and be on the full periscope screen. Make certain you have the full periscope menu displayed. Find a ship, lock on it, ID it if necessary, then hover your mouse over the "Camera" (Take Photo) button. If it lights, click it. If you see a flashing checkmark in the upper left of your screen, you have succeeded. If not, then go to the Objectives part of the Captain's Log clipboard, and see if there is a "Camera" icon to the left of the magnifying glass icon. If so, click on that, and look to see if the photo is any good. Maybe go back to the periscope, Lock on the target again, and attempt to take another picture. Or Lock on a different ship and try again.

Shore installations or docks do not work as photograph "Targets" in the game, only ships, and at that, only ships that are worth enough to trip the photo level set in the mission file, which the player usually cannot see. There are a few photo missions in the mod where the player is told to photograph a specific target or targets, but only a few.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 02:47 PM   #3
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
All five of the Photo Honshu missions in the mod are the same basic deal with the text of "Intelligence has requested an update on the enemy presence in [Yaizu, Ishinomaki, Osaka, Hiroshima, Tsursaki] harbor. Recon the area and, if possible, infiltrate the anchorage and photograph any enemy ships encountered." for the mission briefing, with slight differences between the wordings. The key phrase is "photograph any enemy ships", but with a caveat. The photo score, which the player cannot see, is set to 20, so since the game uses a 10% score figure (I do not know why they used that "logic"... ), so you need a ship worth 200 renown points or more. Some merchants in the mod are not worth that much. so you'll need one of the big ones, a larger tanker, or passenger liner, or a CL Class and up, as far as warships go. If there are no ships of an appropriate type in the harbor, then you would have to leave and try again later, or just forget it altogether and go sink some ships. You would lose the 300 renown points for the mission objective, but you would make up for that with other ships sunk...

Now, the photograph stuff is a bit rather fiddly anyway, and you do have to use the periscope, and be on the full periscope screen. Make certain you have the full periscope menu displayed. Find a ship, lock on it, ID it if necessary, then hover your mouse over the "Camera" (Take Photo) button. If it lights, click it. If you see a flashing checkmark in the upper left of your screen, you have succeeded. If not, then go to the Objectives part of the Captain's Log clipboard, and see if there is a "Camera" icon to the left of the magnifying glass icon. If so, click on that, and look to see if the photo is any good. Maybe go back to the periscope, Lock on the target again, and attempt to take another picture. Or Lock on a different ship and try again.

Shore installations or docks do not work as photograph "Targets" in the game, only ships, and at that, only ships that are worth enough to trip the photo level set in the mission file, which the player usually cannot see. There are a few photo missions in the mod where the player is told to photograph a specific target or targets, but only a few.
Thank you. The mission is "Photograph Enemy Installation at Cape Inusobaki Honshu". There are no ships there, in fact no docks or anything except basically a Lighthouse. And again, nothing locks to take photo of. I took your advice and just moved on to go ship hunting.
Old 03-29-23, 04:45 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortofredhead View Post
Thank you. The mission is "Photograph Enemy Installation at Cape Inusobaki Honshu". There are no ships there, in fact no docks or anything except basically a Lighthouse. And again, nothing locks to take photo of. I took your advice and just moved on to go ship hunting.
this is an issue that i encountered even when playing Stock and it remained frustrating for me until i learned how to add ships to a mission. once i learned that skill, i always checked a Photo mission's .mis file for ships at the destination before we shoved off on that mission.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 07:35 PM   #5
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
this is an issue that i encountered even when playing Stock and it remained frustrating for me until i learned how to add ships to a mission. once i learned that skill, i always checked a Photo mission's .mis file for ships at the destination before we shoved off on that mission.
Yep, no idea how to do that let alone figure out which file handles the particular mission. Thanks though!