SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-23, 10:35 PM   #1
Brightstar6
Watch

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default ctdt

I have sh4 installed no mods and the sim won't start..I click play and boom back to desktop...What did i break??
Brightstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 10:53 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Arclight52!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 11:27 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Arclight52, there are several possibilities. You are dealing with a game that is over 15 years old, and trying to run it on a 'modern' Windows machine. The first requirement is to install DirectX v9.0c with the game. The Steam and Ubisoft versions of the game usually start an install of that for you, as part of their game install routine, but with the disk version of the game, you have to select to install it and the codecs. The game needs the library files, and the DirectX v9.0c install does not overwrite any of the newer DirectX versions you have, but only supplements them.

Then there is the "Properties" settings of the SH4.exe file in Windows that have to be dealt with, since the game is not aware of how 'helpful' Windows can be. Navigate into the folder where you installed SH4, and find the SH4.exe file. If you do not have file extensions visible in the File Manager, there are two SH4 files, with the 2nd one being an icon file (ico), so choose the first SH4. Right-click on the file and then choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Windows 10 and 11 are slightly different with their Properties Windows, but you will need to click on the "Compatibility" tab in either. The various settings on that page will have to be experimented with to find what works best for your computer.

Win11:

Win10:

You may or may not need to set the Compatibility Mode. Depends upon your computer. You almost definitely need to set "Disable fullscreen optimizations". Your computer's User Accesss Control (UAC) setting will determine if you need to use "Run this program as an administrator". You almost always need to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, and then click on the "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." tick box in the bottom half of the 2nd box, and set the drop-down to "Application. The upper half of that window is usually not needed, but on my one computer, I do have to use the Program DPI "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." and set the drop-down there to "I open this program". On that computer (a laptop), the video card wants to zoom in on everything, not just the size of the icons or the size of text on the screen, but will attempt to scale the display where ever the mouse pointer goes... irritating. Anyway, you will have to experiment with those.

Lastly, if your intent is to apply mods in the future, you do not want to install your game in the Program Files folders. It would be best if you posted back with information on where you do have the game installed, what the source of your game is (disk, or Steam or Ubisoft download, etc) and what mod(s) you are thinking of using. Someone can help guide you from there.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 12:31 AM   #4
Brightstar6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Arclight52, there are several possibilities. You are dealing with a game that is over 15 years old, and trying to run it on a 'modern' Windows machine. The first requirement is to install DirectX v9.0c with the game. The Steam and Ubisoft versions of the game usually start an install of that for you, as part of their game install routine, but with the disk version of the game, you have to select to install it and the codecs. The game needs the library files, and the DirectX v9.0c install does not overwrite any of the newer DirectX versions you have, but only supplements them.

Then there is the "Properties" settings of the SH4.exe file in Windows that have to be dealt with, since the game is not aware of how 'helpful' Windows can be. Navigate into the folder where you installed SH4, and find the SH4.exe file. If you do not have file extensions visible in the File Manager, there are two SH4 files, with the 2nd one being an icon file (ico), so choose the first SH4. Right-click on the file and then choose "Properties" at the bottom of the list. Windows 10 and 11 are slightly different with their Properties Windows, but you will need to click on the "Compatibility" tab in either. The various settings on that page will have to be experimented with to find what works best for your computer.

Win11:

Win10:

You may or may not need to set the Compatibility Mode. Depends upon your computer. You almost definitely need to set "Disable fullscreen optimizations". Your computer's User Accesss Control (UAC) setting will determine if you need to use "Run this program as an administrator". You almost always need to click on the "Change high DPI settings" button, and then click on the "Override high DPI scaling behavior..." tick box in the bottom half of the 2nd box, and set the drop-down to "Application. The upper half of that window is usually not needed, but on my one computer, I do have to use the Program DPI "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." and set the drop-down there to "I open this program". On that computer (a laptop), the video card wants to zoom in on everything, not just the size of the icons or the size of text on the screen, but will attempt to scale the display where ever the mouse pointer goes... irritating. Anyway, you will have to experiment with those.

Lastly, if your intent is to apply mods in the future, you do not want to install your game in the Program Files folders. It would be best if you posted back with information on where you do have the game installed, what the source of your game is (disk, or Steam or Ubisoft download, etc) and what mod(s) you are thinking of using. Someone can help guide you from there.
I have on a external hard drive, my G drive..I placed the system to windows vista disabled full screen checked DPI..Still not working..
Old 02-09-23, 07:27 AM   #5
propbeanie

Not all external drives are created equally - nor the interface. I have a Core2 quad downstairs with Windows 7 and an older USB WD 500Gig "My Book" drive. I cannot run SH4 from that. It is too slow. Same machine booted into Windows 10, and using a USB2 HD caddy with an older 500gig, 5400rpm laptop drive, and it does fine. It still doesn't run as well as the internal 720rpm drives, of course.

You did not mention your source of the game, the path to your game's install, or your version of Windows. You do have to experiment with those Properties settings though. If Vista compatibility does not work, then try Windows XP SP2. You might also have to use the "Run as an administrator" option.

Old 02-09-23, 12:53 PM   #6
Brightstar6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Not all external drives are created equally - nor the interface. I have a Core2 quad downstairs with Windows 7 and an older USB WD 500Gig "My Book" drive. I cannot run SH4 from that. It is too slow. Same machine booted into Windows 10, and using a USB2 HD caddy with an older 500gig, 5400rpm laptop drive, and it does fine. It still doesn't run as well as the internal 720rpm drives, of course.

You did not mention your source of the game, the path to your game's install, or your version of Windows. You do have to experiment with those Properties settings though. If Vista compatibility does not work, then try Windows XP SP2. You might also have to use the "Run as an administrator" option.
The game is on disk internal drive DVD windows 10 games install path G drive trying to run on windows xp 2 running as administrator..I just retried the game and it works..I have no idea what i did but it works...

Last edited by Brightstar6; 02-09-23 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-09-23, 08:50 PM   #7
propbeanie

Excellent work! No matter if it was skilled or not, it works! Now, go "sink 'em all"! Or, if playing the German side, "be more aggressive!"