SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-02-15, 05:36 PM   #31
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
My 2 cents: Ubisoft put their backs into SH3 and SH4, and were on the way with SH5 before their resources were exhausted before completion. Say what you will about them, they gave us the best WWII submarine simulations, really the only WWII subsims, since 1997.

Making a high fidelity simulation that will please just a fraction of the high demands and expectations of the customers is resource intensive, and that means expensive. When the sales don't add up to a profit, well, there's no business in losing money.
Pretty much agree

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 03:04 PM   #32
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
My 2 cents: Ubisoft put their backs into SH3 and SH4, and were on the way with SH5 before their resources were exhausted before completion. Say what you will about them, they gave us the best WWII submarine simulations, really the only WWII subsims, since 1997.

Making a high fidelity simulation that will please just a fraction of the high demands and expectations of the customers is resource intensive, and that means expensive. When the sales don't add up to a profit, well, there's no business in losing money.
I concur.
Old 04-10-15, 12:10 AM   #33
Vonross
Swabbie

Downloads: 213
Icon9 oops your wrong they can take your life.... However they can,t take your houner

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
do a search in this site and have a look at W.O.T.A.
Vonross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-15, 08:14 PM   #34
Devin Seay
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1

I said it before and I'll say it again. I'm pretty sure the Silent Hunter 5 was the last Silent Hunter game they'll ever be. I mean, Silent Hunter 5 was just embarrassment all around. Grant it, it had pretty good graphics and I loved the crew and walk around implementation. However, SH5 just didn't deliver at all.

Silent Hunter 5 was rushed and unfinished and that's why it failed.
Devin Seay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-15, 12:25 PM   #35
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

Hi DS

It's 2015 things have moved on a lot over the years.

We have vecko with his The Wolves Of Steel Mega Mod.

I would say that is success not failure.

Let's look forward for once from a dismal past to a bright future.

Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-15, 02:14 AM   #36
Kessner
Helmsman

Downloads: 174
radar

I always thought it would have been cool if they did a advanced version of SH3. kind of like this...

>you still get your navel academy...

>Like sh5 you can move about the boat in full, also you can interact with the crew members just the same, but more and different dialog as the time goes on. The type 2, type 7, type 9, and type 21 would be available with this ability. They also be able to dive to the depths and work in this manner like in SH3. You also will be able to Port for re-fuel, and re-stock like in SH5 as well at sea the same with a re-supply type 9.

>better models for better actions, like when you dive, the NPC react like they should at stations and turning and throwing levers to dive. Since during a dive you have a pause point anyway which will let it be possible for the tower to be cleared seeing the men come down the ladder.
Crash dive will be the same but you see the NPC move faster, sliding down the ladder going to station or crew moving to the front of the boat.
During operations or depth charge attacks crew members may appear to see what's up, or gather in the control room having different reactions.

>You can move into a better boat, but not by buying it. Your game performance will move you up into it. For example, lets say your putting in a type 2, you did well and now you get to port and meet a guy who offers you a choice to move up into a newer type 2, and if you did really good, also type 7 or 9. You would choose the one you want and in a build time you will get it lets say after a few more patrols, because it is getting built. Something like that. You can also go to a crew selection section like in SH3, Enlist, give awards and so forth. You still be able to upgrade the boat.

>The game layout is still a open campaign war map like SH3 were you have patrol grids, except sometimes you can get orders to have you relocate to do other operations if you choose to do it once your patrol is finished. You start at port similar to SH5, except you can get assigned to either a grid patrol or choose to take a OP mission with out the hard luck story. For Example lets say you choose OPs, based on your boat you will get a OPs assignment, like if you have a type 7 may have to go take pics in Norway ports or something, or if your in the type 9 you have to deliver agents into Canada or the US. Or if you do a typical patrol, well it is just a ride to a patrol grid for 24 hours. You complete it and send in a patrol report before you go in. get a probability % for a new patrol grid, OPs assignment or wolf pack support, or a return to base...you can see were I am going with this..

>Patrol grid locations are assigned based on the boats anyway, so your assigned patrol grids will be based on that. Type 2 is a local costal U-boat, so charts will be based on its distance for that. Type 7 is a medium attack boat, so grid charts will be based on its distance, and the type 9 is ocean going, so it will get its grid charts based on that, and so forth. The charts will also be effective based on the Model as well, such as type 7 b may not end up using the same charts for the C because the newer ones could go farther.

>if your boat is badly damaged or something in a manner were you can't do anything except dive to hide and unable to get to a near German port. You can send a help message for this and get someone sent to you. Pending how bad will decide that repairs to get to the nearest port or a tow to the main port. But on the same take the allies also progress during the war, a help message could also bring trouble.

>Once at port, hull damage could be repaired as well as the boat itself. There is a time period against you for this. The more damage it is, the longer the port time.

>You can request a transfer to a different flotilla, or if the flotilla is disbanded, instead like in SH3 were your at the bottom of the map some place. instead, under a probability % and the flotilla is going to be disbanded you will get distributed to other flotillas. If you are out at sea, you will get a message to direct you to go. If not a flotilla then a port of location doing operations under Kriegsmarine.

Something like this...
Old 04-26-15, 08:01 AM   #37
Skytracker
Nub

Downloads: 1

Quote:

It has become obvious when you analyze their later products that at a certain point Ubisoft decided to put alot of engineering into making their games not replayable. There's all kinds of ways they can do that.

In other words, a subsim like a good tactical shooter, have alot of replayability to them. The very essence of these types is conductive for the Players to be invested in them, mostly due to their communities as observed here. Why would they make a game for the next five years when they can sale you five games every year? Giving a little of what you want every time yet being extremelly carfull not to offer the full package to endup with a corporate disaster like GhostRecon or RvS, where Players still play those to this day.

They are not into making or publishing video games. They are into making money for them and the shareholders. No solution will ever come form Ubisoft unless they crash first. Then maybe things will change for a short period.
Skytracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 06:44 PM   #38
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

A Warm Welcome To The Subsim Community > Skytracker
You Will Always Find Someone Here To Help You
New To Silent Hunter <> Need Help <> Click On My Thread Link.
Subsim <> How To Donate <> See The Benefits <> Support The Community
Tonnage Bar Fix For Those Not Using TWOS In My Tutorial Post #188
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 01:34 PM   #39
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

Quote:

Eagle Dynamics with DCS managed it

Ubisoft showed us some immense skill in software/games development in many areas then totally ballzd up the customer care, you can't sell an unfinished product, drop all support and expect people to be happy about it. The ammount of reputation damage they got from Cliffs of Dover and SH must be pretty costly. Ubisoft is anti-consumer imho
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 01:47 AM   #40
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Devin Seay!A bit belatedly; pardon our poor manners!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-15, 08:51 PM   #41
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBANGtheory View Post
Eagle Dynamics with DCS managed it

Ubisoft showed us some immense skill in software/games development in many areas then totally ballzd up the customer care, you can't sell an unfinished product, drop all support and expect people to be happy about it. The ammount of reputation damage they got from Cliffs of Dover and SH must be pretty costly. Ubisoft is anti-consumer imho
Pretty much agree

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15, 06:03 AM   #42
deicide
Deviant Deviations

Downloads: 177

Well I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl....but...

I really don't see where SH5 has hurt UBI at all.

They have one of the top 3 selling titles for the PS4 right now with Far Cry, which is also still in the top 10 for PS3.
Their Rainbow series still sells and plays very well, Assasins Creed is still a #1 seller for all systems.
Watch Dogs was something totally different and has a replay value that very few games have.
The Might and Magic series has a very dedicated group of followers, I don't know to many younger people who don't (or at least at one time did) have at least one version of Rocksmith. Splinter Cell was also another top selling franchise.

So to think that botching one very niche release or even 2 or 3 really hurt them is absolutely ridiculous.
UbiSoft is a business and even if they made the best Subsim ever known it's sales would be maybe...maybe 1/100th
of their other major titles. So in reality I think about 3/4th through SH5 the people with the money put the
big red X on the development of the game. It's not the dev's fault!!!
If you were at work working on a project and your supervisor came to you and said "Stop wasting time on this project, we're
scrapping it" my guess would be you would move on to whatever they told you the next project was.
Yet the people with the money wanted some return so they released it! Once again not the dev's fault!!!

I see some people mentioning DCS. While I do think it's a great platform lets not forget the scandal with DCS WWII: Europe 1944.
I was one of the donators that was supposed to be at a level to receive several free aircraft modules, then the project was "sold"
to Eagle Dynamics. After EG took over they cut the originally promised rewards by 50%+ and claimed they were not responsible for refunds
or rewards originally made by RRG Development. Even though EG now owns RRG and used it's kickstarter funds for development of said title.

If anyone really wants to put out a good Subsim I would suggest looking at the way Kerbal Space Program was developed.
Years and years of beta's and listening to the end consumer with tweaks and upgrades along the way and those of us who
sprang the $30 for the early release got the final release as an update (just this week). I would also hazard a guess that
the guys at Squad made very little if anything and did it more for the love of the project!

Sorry for the rambling, Been off work on disabilty for quite a few weeks and half a bottle of Glen Livet's will do that
to a guy!!!!

-deicide

Edit: Sorry for the spacing, wrote this in notepad and didn't realize it would look like that!! heh
deicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15, 12:13 PM   #43
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicide View Post
Sorry for the rambling
Really? It seemed quite concise and direct to me. Of course I don't know anything about it, but what you said makes sense to me.
Old 05-05-15, 06:25 AM   #44
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deicide View Post
I really don't see where SH5 has hurt UBI at all.
Ok so where it has hurt them is reputation damage, Ubisoft are known to abandon projects and products at the cost to their customers to protect their own interests. They are incapable of releasing and supporting a simulation game because it seems at odds with their business model.

Commercially of course they have invested in the high value cross platform titles and IP and basically going where the money is. They are a console 1st now....

DCS 1944 thing was a joint venture that went wrong RRG seemed to under estimate the effort to deliver it imho. Here is the important bit Eagle Dynamics took it over and also will shortly be giving away their Nevada Terrain free to beta A10-C owners who expected it in the vanilla product. The point there is Eagle Dynamics have a sustainable business model that works for sims and when something goes wrong (i.e. 1944 and NTTR) they do something about it. Where DCS excels imho is the devs understand you have to achieve a certain lvl of quality above all else.

Sims need a means for the developer to profit by their continued support and updates over many years. Ubisoft don't want that they want to push a product out as cheaply as possible, rake in the cash and move on with zero customer interaction.

So imho a commercial software/games developer should look at a naval DCS style model. The Kerbal SP example could work, you would need a passion for the genre to make it work.
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-15, 06:48 AM   #45
Silentfreak
Swabbie

Downloads: 14
Default yeah!

yeah could be funny a new SH!
Silentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote