SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-14, 02:02 PM   #751
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
Uploads: 0
Recognition manual???

Hi there,

I was just wondering, why I do not have that full spec recognition manual as shown in the videos?

I have installed wolves of steel mod........am I missing any hot key or something?

BTW, also my ocean doesn't look that blue. What environment mod is that? =P

Oh, also...... when I clic to my "officers" faces in the main tool bar in order to pop up the white command buttons, their profile is always opened and it is kind of annoying. Any idea?

Sorry if this has been already asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Tips for stable gameplay:

- Never overwrite old/previous game saves. Always make a new one...
- Try not to save game with AI units in your rendering area.
- Occasional save and complete restart of the game during long patrols is highly recommended (at least 3-4 game restarts per patrol)!

Video Examples:

-
-
-
-

Last edited by LCQ_SH; 07-07-14 at 03:06 PM.
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 02:26 PM   #752
Sonic
Swabbie

Downloads: 38

Vecko you did it, you sonnufagun.^^

how did ubi actually think one could play 100% (or near to that, i keep the external cam nomatterwhat) without the, say Raofb wheel. or a hydrophone.
You took everything I liked from the older parts of the series (their mods, actually) and made it work in SH5. more than that: you made RealNav a reality, something former versions couldnt (because why? ubi included realistic stars and what was lacking? right, a precise clock - lol).
Dont tell me the snorkels actually work...

Thank you for bringing SH5 from a comlete disaster to something actually cool, playable, even desireable.

But enough of that, i fear your ego might explode and leave nasty stains.
I still have quite some crashes, but that is my system i'd say (it manages about 10 turns of Civ V before waving byebye). If I had no patience I wouldnt play SH in the first place.

But I do have a ... uhm... pressing matter at hand; I finished the baltic operations, relocated to kiel and cant choose another mission. it's September 3rd, am I home early, because the other missions start later?
Took me couple of days, and i'm quite happy with my performance (40kt on 96% realism), i am even willing to chea... I mean tweak a save-file or something.
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 04:53 PM   #753
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCQ_SH View Post
Hi there,

I was just wondering, why I do not have that full spec recognition manual as shown in the videos?
it's there, just pres "E" and small "draggable" thing will appear on your left side of the screen...

Quote:
BTW, also my ocean doesn't look that blue. What environment mod is that? =P
Sea color is varying with your location in the world, time of the day, season ect...

Quote:
Oh, also...... when I clic to my "officers" faces in the main tool bar in order to pop up the white command buttons, their profile is always opened and it is kind of annoying. Any idea?
Fire up TDW options file editor viewer and check options in officers tab IIRC...You can make order bar visible only when you hover pointer over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Vecko you did it, you sonnufagun.^^

how did ubi actually think one could play 100% (or near to that, i keep the external cam nomatterwhat) without the, say Raofb wheel. or a hydrophone.
You took everything I liked from the older parts of the series (their mods, actually) and made it work in SH5. more than that: you made RealNav a reality, something former versions couldnt (because why? ubi included realistic stars and what was lacking? right, a precise clock - lol).
You're giving me to much credit. This megamod contains work from many different modders , just take a peak in documentation folder or credits from promo poster. TDW real navigation is available for some time now and credits for the most elegant mod in SH5 IMO, go to TDW only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

But I do have a ... uhm... pressing matter at hand; I finished the baltic operations, relocated to kiel and cant choose another mission. it's September 3rd, am I home early, because the other missions start later?
Precisely that...Check out this useful mod...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=188265
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 05:41 PM   #754
Shadow4869
Watch

Downloads: 16

Hello. I am not sure if anyone is following this mod pack anymore, but I figured I would let you know my experiences here
1st, The install is pretty darn complicated. Not of this mod per say, but the TWI stuff. I'm still not 100% sure if I did that correctly.
I have installed thousands of mods to different games over the years, and this ranks in the top 10 of hardest to install.

2nd, Got it up and running no problem. But ran across a game breaking bug that actually caused me to uninstall.
Torpedoes.... The ones that hit are 99% duds. I would say about 90% of torpedoes sent down range do 1 of 2 things. They either start a circular holding pattern untill they run out of fuel, or just go straight from the boat. That was the Tutorial experience, just testing.

Skipping the tutorial as directed, and doing everything correctly the first time. I got a CTD halfway to my first mission, so I tried the tutorial. After noticing the torpedo problem I loaded the Original save game and started testing torpedoes in the bay.
At longer range I had 5% of torpedoes just start the circle pattern. The other 95% were duds and bounced off all ships. Or detonated prematurely.

As this is promoted as a modpack for beginners..... I would have to say, just the TWI factor of the installation makes it not so. This is an advanced installation by all means.

Not that I am downplaying the hard work that went into this, and I am sure if I tinker long enough I will get it to work. my goal with the game is really to just get a better sinking, floating mod. Because 4 torpedoes to take out 1 small ship is not right. Even when I put 1 on port and 1 on starboard side. Little ships should flood on be done at that point.

Well, enough of my rant here:P Thanks for the hard work guys and gals, just not the right mod for me
Shadow4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 05:58 PM   #755
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow4869 View Post
Hello. I am not sure if anyone is following this mod pack anymore, but I figured I would let you know my experiences here
1st, The install is pretty darn complicated. Not of this mod per say, but the TWI stuff. I'm still not 100% sure if I did that correctly.
I have installed thousands of mods to different games over the years, and this ranks in the top 10 of hardest to install.

2nd, Got it up and running no problem. But ran across a game breaking bug that actually caused me to uninstall.
Torpedoes.... The ones that hit are 99% duds. I would say about 90% of torpedoes sent down range do 1 of 2 things. They either start a circular holding pattern untill they run out of fuel, or just go straight from the boat. That was the Tutorial experience, just testing.

Skipping the tutorial as directed, and doing everything correctly the first time. I got a CTD halfway to my first mission, so I tried the tutorial. After noticing the torpedo problem I loaded the Original save game and started testing torpedoes in the bay.
At longer range I had 5% of torpedoes just start the circle pattern. The other 95% were duds and bounced off all ships. Or detonated prematurely.

As this is promoted as a modpack for beginners..... I would have to say, just the TWI factor of the installation makes it not so. This is an advanced installation by all means.

Not that I am downplaying the hard work that went into this, and I am sure if I tinker long enough I will get it to work. my goal with the game is really to just get a better sinking, floating mod. Because 4 torpedoes to take out 1 small ship is not right. Even when I put 1 on port and 1 on starboard side. Little ships should flood on be done at that point.

Well, enough of my rant here:P Thanks for the hard work guys and gals, just not the right mod for me
Oh My .. I would think that any of the concepts of the mod would be difficult
for a beginner . However If you read and read and . re-read everything just might make sense . VDR Is just a player @ 100% REALUISM , AS IAM ALSO . But . getting confused and getting fustrated especailly when you have played at a other level would make sense . Now I have been following this thread ever since I have installed this mod , The only difficulty I have had is .. that at times hwne I add supermarls , Nav fixes and or were ghost ships are marked I have only gotten one ctd , as of late I have killed 2 mechants AND TWO DESTOYERS AND ABOUT TOo raid malta again befoe I go to the western med and enage my objectives , I play at 100% and I have before . to rant and rave and say blame otherwise should start with you asking yourslef .. what do I know about this game played at this 100% level , here are some links that and if you take the time and watch listen , learn and than come back and complain that you would have a rant to rant about .. TAKE A look at these Tuturiioas about play 100% , than come back see if your problems persist . I challenge you

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181538

Read and watch and learn Good luck ~~

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 06:11 PM   #756
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow4869 View Post

I'm really sorry but if you explore subsim SH5 section a bit more you'll understand that it really cant be much easier than this. Easy installation like auto installer or something is still no go for SH5, there are too many things to be edited manually. like TDW patcher, main CFG file ect...Install instruction indeed assume that you're familiar with JSGME and how to enable properly TDW patcher and if you know that, 80% of job is done.

And yes, you have obviously messed up something badly during the installation, because your problems are typical for SH5 with incorrectly enabled mods, dud torpedos, circular patterns ect...

I can only hope that posts like yours will trigger someone with proper English language knowledge to create one video tutorial for the installation from scratch. That would be really helpful for newcomers...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 08:02 PM   #757
LCQ_SH
Lieutenant

Downloads: 175
tnx for the replay VDR!

One more question and my game will be complete.

Why or how I fix that my sonar man can hear farder than I can do in my sonar stack? I mean, he reports in, I go to verify personally, and I don't hear anything? Perhaps my sensors somehow are at double range capabilities, because also my watchmen can "see" ships almost 20km away!

Also, I was playing with external camera, I was at 30m. Had a cargo no more of 5km away and my sonar didn't detect it.

Oh, and where can I read or modify game keyboard hotkeys? I mean, how to know all the hotkeys not mentioned in F1 keyboard during gameplay?

Thank you!

PS: about the command buttons.....I guess somewhere is messed up right and left clic por the same action. I mean, left click will have to open the commands, and right one open each officer profile/history. But when I do a left click.....both things happen. It's annoying to click a command button and have the profile open, where can I fix that?

This mod compilation just rocks! Good job!

Last edited by LCQ_SH; 07-08-14 at 08:47 PM.
LCQ_SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 10:57 PM   #758
Shadow4869
Watch

Downloads: 16

This one is to Kimura,

If you read my post, I admit that I more than likely screwed up TDW installation. I was more stating the things that happened to me with messing up the installation. The funny thing is that I usually end up playing on about 34 to 35% realism..... I have never owned a boat, nor do I intend on owning anything larger than a fishing john boat:P
I like motorcycles, and both hobbies are expensive lol!
So because of that, I have no understanding of ocean charts, how to find targets and stuff like that. I just run to the mission area and start patrolling until I find something. That is another reason why I think this mod pack might not be for me unfortunately, as I really do LOVE simulator games and getting the full experience

Also, if anyone out there has this, speaks english and even if you don't want to make a video, Heck dummy the installation down to a pure step by step, and I will make a video!

I always love it when people get together to put large mod packs together. It's not easy figuring out what works with what, and how to make it crash free and fun to play....
My Morrowinf, Oblivian and Skyrim mod folders had between 150 to 200 mods for each game!!!!

So, as I said above, just to help new people, and because I have a great appreciation for the people that make these packs. I would love it if someone would be able to tell me a step by step for idiots on this install, then I can make a video and try to figure out how to upload it, or even send the video file to someone that knows how to upload it
Shadow4869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 07:47 AM   #759
garot22
Nub

Downloads: 1

Thank you for this mod!! I spend unless time to search and install
garot22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 12:39 PM   #760
Sonic
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
You're giving me to much credit. This megamod contains work from many different modders , just take a peak in documentation folder or credits from promo poster. TDW real navigation is available for some time now and credits for the most elegant mod in SH5 IMO, go to TDW only ...

Precisely that...Check out this useful mod...http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=188265
I'm sorry, I was not phrasing right; the credit I wanted to give you personally was for finding exactly all the elements of previous-version-mods and mending them into one, conflict-free and not-all-to-difficult-to-install megamod.
All the modders who read my post please refrain from being angry with me - I will seek out your threads and thank you individually for the amazing work you did. until I get banned for spamming

Thank you also for your help with my problem. I decided to load a save from mid-patrol and just take more time to get back (when is the next mission start-date, btw? Sept. 5th?) because my game really got really funny at the docks (all icons and buttons turning white, 1fps, my boat sunk, and ctd when talking to the commander after installing upgrades on boat).
Old 07-08-14, 06:16 PM   #761
Captain_AJ
Crusty

Downloads: 324
Default Listen to Advice !!

Ouote From VDR >>>>>>>>>>>- Never overwrite old/previous game saves. Always make a new one...
- Try not to save game with AI units in your rendering area.
- Occasional save and complete restart of the game during long patrols is highly recommended (at least 3-4 game restarts per patrol)!

Well getting consumed with the game and hunting I forgot these rules , and In my current campaign I got a ctd . yes there were Ai units in the area and yes I was tired and forgot these rules of play .. So take the advice well and its not the game this time but the operator Good thing I saved a earlier date now I will have to hunt and get my grt back up again

Btw way the med campaign heats up . I tried to sink a british sub but failed . he did not turn to fight ,, one fish down after a miss .. enjoy all !!!~~~

Captain_AJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 06:05 AM   #762
steineib
Watch

Downloads: 13

hello there btw rendering area, how huge is this atm ? and i have found something very usefull http://deutscher-historischer-jahrwe...vois1.htm#x:01
steineib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 03:12 PM   #763
Sonic
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steineib View Post
hello there btw rendering area, how huge is this atm ? and i have found something very usefull http://deutscher-historischer-jahrwe...vois1.htm#x:01
I might have read its 20km. but i did read a lot. makes it pretty hard to have a "usefull" or lets say "recommended save in the baltic....
i found little saves even if near AI to be quite ok. but never. never use a savegame when theres a torpedo in the water. the impact will lead to a ctd. always.
Old 07-09-14, 05:05 PM   #764
Alienbird
Nub

Downloads: 9

What sort of Uboats are available to play in this mod?

I'm a big Op. Monsoon mod fan for SH4, and if it has an interesting and comparable sub list, I'll buy SH5 to play it.
Alienbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-14, 10:53 PM   #765
Otto Ites
Swabbie

Downloads: 80

Hey,

everytime i unpack the main mod folder, i get a report that a file named NSS_UBOATVII...TRA.GR2 or something like that is corrupt.

Exact error name:
C:\Users\...\The Wolves of Steel 1.02.rar: Prüfsummenfehler der Datei The Wolves of Steel 1.02\data\Submarine\NSS_Uboat7a.TRA.GR2. Die Datei ist beschädigt.

Translation:
Prüfsummenfehler der Datei (EN by Googletranslate= Checksum error of the file)
Die Datei ist beschädigt (EN=The file is corrupt)

has anyone else this problem ?

and is it possible to replace the stock faces with the alt w beards ?

Last edited by Otto Ites; 07-10-14 at 09:53 AM.
Otto Ites is offline   Reply With Quote