SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-10-21, 01:43 PM   #3916
Dadio85
Watch

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default museum CTD

Thanks, I did check the SH4.exe. The tick-box "Read-only" is empty. I also did empty my save folder after activating the mod, but i do have exactly the loading behavior you're describing. The game loads fine and fast, but the museum really takes quite a lot of time to load (3 to 4 minutes as mentioned by you).

EDIT: Thinking about the deletion of the save game folder, I'm not quiete sure if I did empty the folder before or after activation of the mod. Does that play a role?
Dadio85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-21, 05:10 PM   #3917
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

We have timed the game loading and the Museum loading, and there is little difference between a low-end computer and a high-end in that regard, with an SSD helping the most, but a 1.5 to 2 minute game load, and a 3 to 4 minute Museum load is right on the mark. The game loads ~EVERYTHING~ in the Data folder, so the more you have there, the longer it takes. Just the nature of the game.

The Save folder is a strange beast - in my opinion - in the Silent Hunter games. You have all of that data in the Data folder, yet the game copies a goodly portion of it to the Save folder, and basically turns it into a giant *.ini file for "quick" retrieval later. Not just pointers to the Data, but actual copies of files, as well as quite a number of newly created files, made by combining portions of several files from the Game's Data folder into a new one in the Save folder. The sad thing is, one bad bit in the Save folder can "trash" attempts to re-load the Saved game, so Yes, the Save folder is very important. To top it all off, when you activate a mod and go to play the game, it will NOT update any file already existing in the Save folder. Therefore, you can end up with a mix of Stock, GFO, TMO and FotRSU, if you haven't emptied your Save folder between mod activations / de-activations. If you do not have anything "important" in the folder, it would be a good idea to empty the folder, just to be certain. Then start the game and try the Museum once again.

Another point to make about the game, and one which I just take for granted anymore, is the fact that the game's "Menu" is rather deceiving. Technically, it shouldn't allow you to go back to any other aspect of the game, other than the one you first used. Either that, or they should re-write the program so that it "cleans house" better when it exits from one section, or what I call "mode" of the game. What I'm getting at is that once you load the Museum, the game will not close out the RAM and "swap" file that it used to "build" the Museum. What that does, is if you then attempt to use the Career menu, or Load a Career Saved Game after the Museum, you will most likely crash, and vice versa. If you use a Single Mission, you will most likely crash if you attempt a Career or the Museum, etc. If you use the Career menu, you then most likely will have issues using the Museum and / or Single Missions, etc. Think of the Menu choices as being Mode Selections, and once you make a selection for that particular Session of the game, that's it. You have to exit the game and re-start it to use a different mode. I'm not certain if SH5 is like that (I suspect it is), but SH3 definitely is also. So a Museum crash could be due to that also...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-21, 03:11 AM   #3918
Dadio85
Watch

Thx for your support and detailed answer. I think I'm fine with the savegame folder as it was a clean install. For me the conclusion is to be more careful in the museum and click very slow CDT did not occur in the game itself so far (knocking on wood).
Old 11-11-21, 03:55 AM   #3919
Dadio85
Watch

Default Some more questions:

A few questions:
Comparing the SH4 manual it says on page 4 that the're some more options I cannot find in the game. These are:

- Realistic vulnerability
- Realistic ship sinking time
- No Noise Meter
- No Weapons Officer Assistance

Have these been removed intentionally or are these left-overs from an early build of the game?

With FotRS activated is it somehow possible to get back the stock menu at the bottom? I like the stock colors of the stations more than the new ones.
Old 11-11-21, 06:51 AM   #3920
Dadio85
Watch

Default Me again:)

Anyone else encountered this graphical glitch? When its raining, the crew members on the bridge turn to ghosts, when they're rendered against the sky. See screenshot attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghosts.jpg (8.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-11-21, 10:42 AM   #3921
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadio85 View Post
Thx for your support and detailed answer. I think I'm fine with the savegame folder as it was a clean install. For me the conclusion is to be more careful in the museum and click very slow CDT did not occur in the game itself so far (knocking on wood).
One thing to keep in mind is that if there was a previous install of the game on the computer, there was an existing Save folder from it, which could potentially corrupt the current install. Un-installing the game does not eliminate the old Save data folder.

Quote:
A few questions:
Comparing the SH4 manual it says on page 4 that the're some more options I cannot find in the game. These are:

- Realistic vulnerability
- Realistic ship sinking time
- No Noise Meter
- No Weapons Officer Assistance

Have these been removed intentionally or are these left-overs from an early build of the game?

With FotRS activated is it somehow possible to get back the stock menu at the bottom? I like the stock colors of the stations more than the new ones.
The manual was written and released for v1.0 of the game, and had errors and incomplete information for that, and they have done quite a few updates since. The "realistic" stuff was an idea they had, that was never implemented. I'm not certain of a noise meter in the American boats, and the Weapons Officer refers to the choice for manual- or auto-targeting...

Quote:
Anyone else encountered this graphical glitch? When its raining, the crew members on the bridge turn to ghosts, when they're rendered against the sky. See screenshot attached.
That "glitch" is "Volumetric Fog" mostly. If you have all of the boxes ticked on the Graphics Option screen, each choice will increase certain anomalies in the display, such as the sun shining through the horizon, or other objects that it should not. Both the game and DirectX v9 are to blame.

Old 11-11-21, 12:41 PM   #3922
Dadio85
Watch

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that if there was a previous install of the game on the computer, there was an existing Save folder from it, which could potentially corrupt the current install. Un-installing the game does not eliminate the old Save data folder.
As SH4 was not installed before, I think I'm save here.
Quote:
The manual was written and released for v1.0 of the game, and had errors and incomplete information for that, and they have done quite a few updates since. The "realistic" stuff was an idea they had, that was never implemented. I'm not certain of a noise meter in the American boats, and the Weapons Officer refers to the choice for manual- or auto-targeting...
Thanks, clear for me!
Quote:
That "glitch" is "Volumetric Fog" mostly. If you have all of the boxes ticked on the Graphics Option screen, each choice will increase certain anomalies in the display, such as the sun shining through the horizon, or other objects that it should not. Both the game and DirectX v9 are to blame.
Do you recommend a setting, e.g. which boxes to uncheck?

One question remains open:
Quote:
Old 11-11-21, 07:25 PM   #3923
propbeanie

The graphic settings in the game are "old tech", and will at times look rather odd on newer hardware. I have Light Shafts ticked, but even that can pixelize things underwater at times. It all depends upon where the "light" is, where you view is, and as to what you are looking at. You can use the nVidia Profile thingie to set some aspects of the display card and profiles for some games. A few folks have used Reshade to get better anti-aliasing and a few other settings. It all involves experimentation, since no two computers are the same...

I forgot all about mentioning the menu thingie, but we haven't attempted to use the same colors in FotRSU yet, but might attempt that. The mod does change some of the button icons, and adds some to some menus, so you can't just arbitrarily replace them for Stock. We'll try to dig into that for the release after this next one. It would be an add-in mod, if we succeed.

Old 11-12-21, 04:28 AM   #3924
Dadio85
Watch

Thanks for your feedback. Really nice to hear that this mod is still receiving support and there will be introduced new features in the near future.
Old 11-16-21, 08:26 PM   #3925
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Howdy Skippers!

Back after a LOOOONG break from SH4 (2 or 3 years..lol).

Just loaded up FOTRS....looks GREAT. Cant wait to shake the barnacles off.

Newbie (old newbie) question.... I lost the information window at the bottom of my screen after fumbling with keys...how do I get it back?
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 08:29 PM   #3926
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faamecanic View Post
Howdy Skippers!

Back after a LOOOONG break from SH4 (2 or 3 years..lol).

Just loaded up FOTRS....looks GREAT. Cant wait to shake the barnacles off.

Newbie (old newbie) question.... I lost the information window at the bottom of my screen after fumbling with keys...how do I get it back?
the numpad period/delete key.
welcome back, noob.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 08:32 PM   #3927
Faamecanic
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the numpad period/delete key.
welcome back, noob.

Thanks Marco

One more question...I started in the S boat out of Dutch Harbor Alaska. As soon as I left port I got a radio message that all S boat commanders were to report to Brisbane AU?!?! My poor fuel consumption...I would barely have the desiel to make it there, let alone the patrol I have to do.

Is this just a stock message...or do I need to head WAY down south?
Faamecanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 09:04 PM   #3928
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Thanks Marco

One more question...I started in the S boat out of Dutch Harbor Alaska. As soon as I left port I got a radio message that all S boat commanders were to report to Brisbane AU?!?! My poor fuel consumption...I would barely have the desiel to make it there, let alone the patrol I have to do.

Would be a loooong trip, heading straight there, yes... BUT... if memory serves Me right... & pretty sure it does... you should be able to hop scotch, via Pearl, midway & then head for Brisbane... would take some serious, careful planning the course plot out, but... it could be done.

That is, if you didn't fall through the orders crack & got an order that you, should NOT have gotten.

Hope this helps... in some, small way.

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 11-16-21 at 10:09 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 09:16 PM   #3929
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Thanks Marco

that depends on whether your home base has actually moved from Dutch Harbor to Brisbane. look for the fouled anchor graphic.

i havent played FOTRSU in a while but i suspect that you will need to make the trek to Brisbane. i am going to make a SWAG and say that the date is late '43 early '44. there should be a string of bases to stop at on your way down to Brisbane. Midway, Pearl, Johnston Island, Solomons. Steam at 10-12 kts and you'll make it.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 10:01 PM   #3930
propbeanie

Quote:
Thanks Marco

This is FotRSU, aka: Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, which is AOTD_MadMax's FOTRS v1.2, 1.3, and 2.0+ re-worked with (I think) all of his ships, with more added. Just to make certain you are not in FOTRS, aka: Fall of the Rising Sun from the AOTD_MadMax team (good stuff). If you do indeed have FotRSU from page one of this thread, then your message about base change should be two messages along the lines of (in a March broadcast) "19420301 1830 19420301 2330 0 050 60 1 @COMSUBPAC@^All Fleet Boats^&Operational News&[X] Plans call for US Submarine Fleet to be established in Brisbane , Australia." which is to advise all submarines, and then on 7th April, 1942 is "19420407 0630 19420407 2300 1 100 60 0 @COMSUBSSOWESPAC@^ALL S CLASS SUBMARINES^&OPERATIONAL NEWS&[X]ALL S BOAT SKIPPERS AND CREW ARE TO BEGIN PREPARATIONS IMMEDIATELY FOR IMMINENT TRANSFER TO BRISBANE, QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA FOR OPERATIONS WITH TF 42 BUILDING NOW X ALL S BOATS ON PATROL SOWESTPAC ARE DIRECTED TO MAKE BRISBANE YOUR BASE OF OPERATIONS X" and is from Commander Submarines SoWesPac, who is a person you can safely ignore from Dutch Harbor - your Home port should still be Dutch Harbor, as KaleunMarco mentions. Now, if you want to go see the Australian girls, when you get back to port, you can indeed ask for a transfer to Brisbane, and start docking at Farmer's Wharf (well, not really Farmer's Wharf, which is way up the river), if you so desire, stopping at Pearl or Midway along the way... only problem being in the way the game does transfers, in that you start at Brisbane for your next patrol, but you still get a Dutch Harbor assignment... kind of crazy, but the way the game works. In such a case, I would ignore thos orders, and go out "rogue" and patrol around St Georges Channel south of Rabaul, or off the Shortlands Basin, and sink a few ships. Just be on the look out for planes and DD... - btw, the barnacles should have been removed in dry dock San Diego before you left for the northern climes... lol - welcome back!