SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-22, 04:56 PM   #1
Markus Witt
Navy Dude

Downloads: 309
Uploads: 0

Default torpedoes_g7a-e.zon

The torpedoes in TWOS are a bit too powerfull for my taste. Almost always 1 torpedo is enough to sink ships, even large ones. Most of the time the moment you hit a target is is destroyed instantly. I have been looking for a mod to tone down the torpedoes a bit but could not find any to my taste. So I then decided to edit the values in the torpedoes_g7a-e.zon in the SHV\data\Library folder myself.

The original values are:

AmmoDamageInfo

Index:3, 5, 7, 9, 17, 19, 21
MinEF = 120,0
MaxEF = 200,0
AP = 100,0
MinRadius = 7,0
MaxRadius = 12,0

Index 11, 13, 15
MinEF = 100,0
MaxEF = 180,0
AP = 100,0
MinRadius = 6,0
MaxRadius = 10,0

Ten different lines (indexes) are in this file with two different sets of values.
Now, let's be clear: I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing here. I'm just changing values and see what will happen. Hit and hope and swing and miss.
And I have no idea what these indexes each exactly do and why 11, 13 and 15 have different values in the original file.

After some experimenting I came to the following values:

MinEF = 120,0
MaxEF = 240,0
AP = 100,0
MinRadius = 3,0
MaxRadius = 7,0

I use these values for all ten indexes. As you can see the maximum effect is actually increased. The Min & MaxRadius is smaller. I guess this value controls how far the torpedo damage extents and how many damage points are hit.

With these values I ran the New Merchant Fleet mission a few times and I like the results. When targeting smaller medium sized ships (3500t - 5500t) I hit 41 ships with 1 torpedo: 33 sank, 2 were left dead in the water and 6 sailed on. When targeting large vessels (T3 and 19000t liner) I hit 29 ships with 1 torpedo: 8 sank, 3 were left dead in the water and 18 sailed on. When targetting a mix of larger medium ships (5500t - 9000t) I hit 58 ships with 1 torpedo: 34 sank, 5 were left dead in the water, 6 became stragglers and 13 sailed on.

With these settings you are pretty much guaranteed to sink small vessels with one torpedo. For small medium vessels 1 is usually enough unless you are unlucky. For larger medium ships 1 is ussually enough but no guarantee and for large ships you normally need 2 unless you are lucky.

With these settings it also takes longer for ships to sink. Sometimes they continue to sail on for up to 2 hours, then suddenly drop back and sink. Instant destruction with one torpedo is pretty rare.

Anyway, I don't really know what I'm doing so I was wondering if anybody else knows more about these settings and what they exactly do.
Maybe somebody has experimented with these values and come up with good numbers.

To be clear I use TWOS 2.2.24 and in the tests I used only impact pistols.

Last edited by Markus Witt; 04-10-22 at 07:15 AM. Reason: typo's, what else?
Markus Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 05:27 AM   #2
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 578
Uploads: 8

Sounds good

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote