SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-10-22, 05:32 PM   #151
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Did you plan variant skins for the merchant ships ? Red decks were probably not a good idea for sailing into WWII convoys.
Late war grey painting:

kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-22, 08:25 PM   #152
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Late war grey painting:

Quote:
I think that a black hull would not have been repainted in grey. Only superstructures and funnel... https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...4&postcount=37
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-22, 03:32 AM   #153
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
I think that a black hull would not have been repainted in grey. Only superstructures and funnel...
As in the case of tacos, why not have both? Adding a variant with black hull and grey superstructure will be easy, and then it's even more varied.
Old 02-11-22, 09:22 AM   #154
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Yes, ok. Maybe your could add different shades of grey. I think a lighter grey would be more appropriate.
Old 02-16-22, 04:20 PM   #155
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Waiting for your war skins to release the SH3 conversion of Armora tramp steamer.

The answer is probably obvious, but I guess that this class of ship was only sailing near the coast, and never into atlantic/arctic/med convoys...
Old 02-17-22, 12:24 PM   #156
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Really like how one of them is a Long Bridge Deck type merchant ... great eye for detail. They were pretty common for companies that needed to ship high volume/low density cargo like cotton or grain....until postwar designs made them obsolete.

Also like that they are low tonnage, unlike the big Liberty & C2 ships you always see in the Silent Hunter series - ships as small as 1,000 GRT were pressed into service in Atlantic convoys, bc every cargo ship was valuable in wartime. This is good to counteract "tonnage inflation".
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-22, 12:29 PM   #157
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
Really like how one of them is a Long Bridge Deck type merchant ... great eye for detail. They were pretty common for companies that needed to ship high volume/low density cargo like cotton or grain....until postwar designs made them obsolete.

Also like that they are low tonnage, unlike the big Liberty & C2 ships you always see in the Silent Hunter series - ships as small as 1,000 GRT were pressed into service in Atlantic convoys, bc every cargo ship was valuable in wartime. This is good to counteract "tonnage inflation".
Yes, the most common merchant ships which were sailing into convoys are never modeled...

Kapuhy's merchants are around 2000 tons of displacement. But that's different than GRT !!!
Old 02-17-22, 01:50 PM   #158
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Waiting for your war skins to release the SH3 conversion of Armora tramp steamer.
Here - grey skin from screenshots above and AO map with some rust (unlike first version I sent you before which was too clean for such old ship).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bOc...ew?usp=sharing

Quote:
The answer is probably obvious, but I guess that this class of ship was only sailing near the coast, and never into atlantic/arctic/med convoys...
In arctic or atlantic, probably pretty rare but med and gibraltar convoys did include a lot of similar ships:

https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/687.html
https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/704.html
https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/1121.html
https://uboat.net/allies/merchants/ship/1120.html

Quote:
Kapuhy's merchants are around 2000 tons of displacement. But that's different than GRT !!!
Small Freighter is modeled after SS Aslaug (1599 GRT, built in 1927) and Small Tramp Steamer after SS Armora (1903 GRT, built in 1911).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
That's one of reasons I started this mod - ship roster in stock SH5 looks like trying to simulate road transport network by using only 18-wheelers.
Old 02-17-22, 08:37 PM   #159
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Here - grey skin from screenshots above and AO map with some rust (unlike first version I sent you before which was too clean for such old ship).
Thank you ! Unfortunately, SH3 uses the AO map only to apply "shadows" on surfaces, not anything else, like rust or dirt...
Old 02-19-22, 09:02 AM   #160
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

With your new AO texture (rust) :

Old 02-20-22, 06:33 PM   #161
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Exclamation Texture

New texture :

----------

Note :

If I open your dds files with Paint.net, the full transparent dark pixels are deleted : when I change transparency to have no transparency at all, this is what I get (I added a purple background so you can see the deleted pixels) :

This is why I prefer that you send me .tga files without transparent pixels.

Last edited by Mister_M; 02-21-22 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-27-22, 08:40 PM   #162
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Thank you ! Unfortunately, SH3 uses the AO map only to apply "shadows" on surfaces, not anything else, like rust or dirt...
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember a single SHIII ship using an AO map. If memory serves, in SHIII you can have either an AO map or a normal map assigned to each material, and most if not all the ships (both stock and custom-made) have materials using the later map. This is not an insurmountable problem, as the AO map could be blended with the diffuse map (most stock SH5 aircraft use this method), but to be able to use this workaround every single unit would require its UV mapping redone, and the new textures would need to be bigger indeed.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 07:14 AM   #163
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember a single SHIII ship using an AO map.
Correct.

Quote:
If memory serves, in SHIII you can have either an AO map or a normal map assigned to each material
Correct.

Quote:
most if not all the ships (both stock and custom-made) have materials using the later map.
You mean a SPECULAR map. And the specular effect of SH3 ships is not correctly set, so the effect doesn't work in game, even if it's possible to make it work. But S3D doesn't enable to modifiy the proper parameter. But you can make it work by copy-paste of the fake propeller texture of the Stuka for example, this material will handle transparent pixels. Remember, this is the same problem as for semi-transparent textures, when we worked on your super realistic flags textures. BTW, haven't you released this mod yet ?

Quote:
This is not an insurmountable problem, as the AO map could be blended with the diffuse map (most stock SH5 aircraft use this method)
Yes, this can be done with World of warships' models, since the AO map has exactly the same coordinates as the diffuse texture. So, you just have to blend diffuse with AO, and then apply transparency (transforming the black & white texture into alpha channel) of the specular mask.

Quote:
but to be able to use this workaround every single unit would require its UV mapping redone, and the new textures would need to be bigger indeed.
Yes.

Last edited by Mister_M; 02-28-22 at 07:24 AM.
Old 05-01-22, 11:41 PM   #164
GeneralDeath99
Seaman

Downloads: 142

How goes it? Taken a look at this thread and got to say, your models look mighty fine! Cant wait to see more in game!
GeneralDeath99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-22, 05:58 AM   #165
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralDeath99 View Post
How goes it? Taken a look at this thread and got to say, your models look mighty fine! Cant wait to see more in game!
I had to take a break from modding in February because we have moved into new house and there was an endless list of things that needed to be done, leaving me with no time or energy for hobbies. I hope to return to this and other unfinished projects by the end of this month.

As for status, six new ships I was working on are all ready and imported into game, but there's still some work remaining in order for them to appear properly in campaign. More specifically:

- Two new ships are minesweepers, and they need minesweeping patrol spawns and nodes to be added to campaign in order to appear in game.
- Some coasters appear very rarely because most countries that use them do not have coastal traffic added to campaign.
- I'm still stuck on texture problems - I wanted ships to change textures and maybe even use navigation lights reflecting their status (neutral/belligerent) during the war, but way SH5 handles textures leads to constant problems with ships "borrowing" wrong texture from another vessel using the same model. There's also an unresolved bug that prevents minesweepers from using varying camouflages.

I hope to fix all the above and relase new ships sometime in August (provided real life doesn't throw a new wrench into my plans).