SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-26-16, 08:21 PM   #1
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default Dangerous ground: one of the best and detailed naval warfare fiction I've read

I just finished reading the novel "Dangerous Ground" by Larry Bond, and I loved it so much I thought if recommend it for the subsim community. After being disappointed by my last book, which started out with submarines and turned to aliens, I saw this book on my recommendations. I read the description and thought it looked good, and got it on audiobook since I drive a lot for work. I knew it would be good listening to the authors dedication to the former naval personnel who helped him with the book, and I couldn't put it down.

This book was reminiscent of tom clancy in it's attention to detail, as the author takes you though the LA class submarine USS Memphis on a special mission. What makes this book interesting is it's point of view. Unlike most of the other naval warefare novels, we are not following the story from the captains perspective, or even the XO.

We see the story mostly from the perspective of Jerry Mitchell, a former F-18 pilot turned submariner after being injured in a crash. He is a junior officer, and it's his first time aboard a submarine after training. We get to follow his struggle as he tries to pass his qualifications, run a department under difficult conditions, all while the Memphis takes on a secret mission deep into Russian territory.

I'm not going to spoil the book too much, or repost the description, but If you are a fan of the genre, and have a love of the details like I do, you will love this book.

For those who have read it, feel free to post your thoughts.

All I know is I can't wait to read book 2
Old 01-27-16, 07:22 AM   #2
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

I puke every time I see Bond or Clancy. Or any tech thrillers for that matter, especially the cold war kind.

That said, I have only read one book by Bond - the one about the 2nd Korean war. It was horrible.
Old 01-31-16, 07:25 PM   #3
Pilot_76
Chief

Downloads: 427

2 is better. I think there will be a third. Mitch will be CO
Pilot_76 is offline   Reply With Quote