SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-01-15, 10:06 PM   #1
speed150mph
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0
Default How did Tom Clancy Know???

I just finished reading red storm rising by Tom Clancy and I am absolutely astounded by what this man knew and wrote. He published this book in 1986, and included information about the most modern weapons of the time when they were new and I imagine top secret. And it was information from both sides. Examples include information on the perry class frigate Rueben James, which was commissioned mere months before the book was published. He talks about their gas turbine engines, their speed, their sonars and sensors. He talks about the speed of the T-80 tank, and capabilities of the sa-11 missile system. He mentions briefly the Akula class sub which was launched by the soviets a couple years earlier.

It just perplexes me how much Tom knew, and looking back now how perfectly accurate his details were, for someone who apperantly never served in uniform according to his bio on his site. And given that he never had the internet. I am a young buck who was born in the 90's so I have no clue if or how all this information was available. Can anyone tell me?

Btw I loved red storm rising, and suggested it to a bunch of friends, and am making missions for myself in dangerous waters. Best war book I've read yet
Old 02-01-15, 10:24 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed150mph View Post
It just perplexes me how much Tom knew, and looking back now how perfectly accurate his details were, for someone who apperantly never served in uniform according to his bio on his site. And given that he never had the internet. I am a young buck who was born in the 90's so I have no clue if or how all this information was available. Can anyone tell me?
"The Hunt for Red October” became a runaway best seller when President Ronald Reagan, who had been handed a copy, called it “my kind of yarn” and said that he couldn’t put it down. But its details about Soviet submarines, weaponry, satellites and fighter planes raised suspicions. Even high-ranking members of the military took notice of the book’s apparent inside knowledge. In a 1986 interview, Mr. Clancy said, “When I met Navy Secretary John Lehman last year, the first thing he asked me about the book was, ‘Who the hell cleared it?’ ”
No one did, Mr. Clancy insisted; all of his knowledge came from technical manuals, interviews with submarine experts and books on military matters, he said. While he spent time on military bases, visited the Pentagon and dined with military leaders, he said, he did not want to know any classified information.
I hang my hat on getting as many things right as I can,” Mr. Clancy once said in an interview. “I’ve made up stuff that’s turned out to be real — that’s the spooky part.” press obit A gifted kind of a poor man's technical Jules Verne IMHO He just did his home work and and made it very fashionable.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-15, 10:50 PM   #3
nikimcbee
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 90

Quote:
red storm rising by Tom Clancy
I really wish that they would make a mini-series out of this book. Story too involved for a movie.
I think this is my all time favorite fiction book.
Old 02-02-15, 12:53 AM   #4
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

The devil is in the details really. When you look into his books - various items have wrong characteristics, for example MiG29 is a long range fighter, lacks IRST and so on. So while it (and other tech masturbation books of the time) may appear realistic, they are not.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 06:06 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post
I really wish that they would make a mini-series out of this book. Story too involved for a movie.
Pretty much up near the top for me to

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 06:47 AM   #6
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Pretty much up near the top for me to
I would take The Red Army over it any day.
Old 02-02-15, 07:51 AM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
I would take The Red Army over it any day.
Nah, in the book the PLA beat the Russian (Red Army)

Old 02-02-15, 08:03 AM   #8
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Nah, in the book the PLA beat the Russian (Red Army)
I was talking about the Red Army by Ralph Peters.
Old 02-02-15, 01:12 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
I was talking about the Red Army by Ralph Peters.
Ah, my bad

Old 02-02-15, 01:21 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikimcbee View Post

+1

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 01:46 PM   #11
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Ah, my bad
An excellent book, I would highly recommend it.
Old 02-02-15, 02:12 PM   #12
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
An excellent book, I would highly recommend it.
Is this it? http://dobrochan.ru/src/pdf/1205/Red...lph-Peters.pdf

Old 02-02-15, 03:02 PM   #13
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Tom Clancy died on October 1, 2013. Clancy died at Johns Hopkins Hospital, but the reason has never been made public.
You can do your own search for why Tom Clancy died, but you won't find any answers ... a lot of tin foil hats sounding off that he was more right than wrong and even had a book coming out about Muslims in the White House.

Only 66 and a known heavy drinker, but yet he died so fast.

Doesn't anyone care about answers anymore?

It's reported that Tom wondered why anyone would report aboard a ship that sinks (submarines), but then he was able to meet some of the submarine officers through the insurance company that he owned in Maryland and he decided that submarine officers were like jet fighter test pilots.
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-15, 05:25 PM   #14
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

To properly evaluate Tom Clancy's accuracy it is important to not only look at the stuff he got right but also the stuff he got wrong.

I must have been the only person in the military that was not a TC fan. The only book of his I really enjoyed is one he said was his worst - Hunt for red october.
Old 02-03-15, 12:16 AM   #15
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

I read all but the three newest ones. I'm in the middle of Command Authority. I just can't find the time to read anymore. I even read SSN and his little game franchise books that bear his name but are written by other people.

I thought they were all excellent with the exception of the franchise books and SSN.

Whether or not he got every little detail right or not doesn't matter to me. He's a hell of a storyteller and his books will forever be my favorite.