SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-03-09, 12:56 PM   #16
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

When flooding occurs all SOP's require you to go shallow (if you can). This helps minimize flooding by reducing water pressure. Submarines have three ways to get water expelled from the Main Ballast tank system. The trim and drain systems only use pumps. But the trim system itself, not the MBT system is what allows to acheive neutral bouyancy the degree that you can maintain depth without any speed at all. In damage control, a last resort to control flooding is allow high pressure air into the flooded compartment. Most submarine designs have several watertight doors to accomplish this.
Old 01-03-09, 01:22 PM   #17
SandyCaesar
Chief

Downloads: 0

Regarding point #4, most torpedoes do have a maximum operating depth. For instance, the US Mk48 ADCAP has an officially rated depth of 800ft (~260m), but most people estimate its capability at ~800m. Although they are capable of going quite deep, there is a depth at which water pressure will render them inoperable. I remember reading about WWII torpedoes, when they had exhausted their fuel, sinking until water pressure crushed their impact fuses, which blew up the warhead.

Vanvikan, Feb. 2009: ordinary human, KIA, night 4

HMS Thanatus, May 2009: ??? human, KIA, night 7
SandyCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 04:16 PM   #18
EFileTahi-A
A-ganger

Downloads: 5

Many to thanks to all of you for your awesome replies!

So, how would a submarine benifect by having large ballast tanks?
What could change the ascending / descending speed without propulsion at all?

"In wild life, red and black often alert predators to stay away..."
EFileTahi-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-09, 08:48 PM   #19
D'biter
Seaman

Downloads: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesrae
Regarding point 6, I seem to remember being told that boats will keep their speed up when operating close to their maximum diving depth, as even blowing all MBTs may not be enough to get them to surface in the event of a propulsion failure, or reactor scram, at that depth.

Keeping their speed up should allow them to plane up to a shallower depth with residual speed and propulsion power, up to a depth where the MBTs become effective again.
True, but they'll also try not to go too fast, as a jam dive at test depth at 35 knots is going to send the boat through crush depth in an instant

No, says the man in Washington. It belongs to the poor.
No, says the man in the Vatican. It belongs to God.
No, says the man in Moscow. It belongs to everyone.

I rejected those answers. Instead, I chose something
different. I chose the impossible. I chose...
Rapture.
D'biter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:10 AM   #20
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCaesar
Regarding point #4, most torpedoes do have a maximum operating depth. For instance, the US Mk48 ADCAP has an officially rated depth of 800ft (~260m), but most people estimate its capability at ~800m. Although they are capable of going quite deep, there is a depth at which water pressure will render them inoperable. I remember reading about WWII torpedoes, when they had exhausted their fuel, sinking until water pressure crushed their impact fuses, which blew up the warhead.
To add, there is a penalty in high-pressure air used to force the torpedo out of the tube at greater depths. Ideally you wouldn't want to shoot from much deeper than about 300', although that's debatable.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-09, 01:28 PM   #21
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFileTahi-A

Not sure I understand the question entirely. Submarines are designed to be positively bouyant when the MBT's are empty of water. When the MBT valves are opened water fills the tanks and you submerge. A very simple process that is independant of speed. The trim system on subs is more like a fine tuning to maintain neutral bouyancy, which is the ideal state for a submarine to be in. The amount of water brought in to the boat is the sole factor of what affects bouyancy. The size of the ballast tanks have to be designed on the size/weight of the sub being built. Everything has to be proportional.
Old 01-06-09, 06:21 PM   #22
Neptunus Rex
Frogman

Downloads: 0

Submarines once,
Submarines twice.....

(Come on, finish it!)

"In the spirit of reaching across the aisle, we owe it to the Democrats to show their president the exact same kind of respect and loyalty that they have shown our recent Republican president." A.C. 11-5-08
Neptunus Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 06:57 AM   #23
EFileTahi-A
A-ganger

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frame57
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFileTahi-A

Not sure I understand the question entirely. Submarines are designed to be positively bouyant when the MBT's are empty of water. When the MBT valves are opened water fills the tanks and you submerge. A very simple process that is independant of speed. The trim system on subs is more like a fine tuning to maintain neutral bouyancy, which is the ideal state for a submarine to be in. The amount of water brought in to the boat is the sole factor of what affects bouyancy. The size of the ballast tanks have to be designed on the size/weight of the sub being built. Everything has to be proportional.
Well, since in my game the player has to build the submarine by increasing / decreasing to several aspects of the sub's chassis, I need to understand what attribute(s) should I create to increase the subs ascending / descending speed.

Since MTBs are filled with water or air to ascend or descend, will not the maximum quantity of water / air MBT they can hold change the speed of the refered ascending / descending operations?

"In wild life, red and black often alert predators to stay away..."
EFileTahi-A is offline   Reply With Quote