SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-23, 09:36 PM   #1
sortofredhead
Bosun

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default TMO Bh 2.0 Interesting CTD

I have encounter 2 instances so far of setting up and shooting on Japanese Destroyers and right as torpedo makes contact I get a CTD.

I am playing normal settings to there is an event camera that comes on. Is this possibly "overloading" the game for some reason? Any suggestions on this or it is just the way it is.

Thank you in advance.
sortofredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-23, 10:19 PM   #2
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Is it only destroyers that cause the CTD, or does it happen with other ships?
Is it only a specific class of destroyer?
Do you have any other mods installed?
Have you tried turning off the event camera?
Old 04-18-23, 06:32 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Had you emptied the Save folder before beginning TMO_BH play sortofredhead? If you fail to empty the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" by default), or don't create a new, uniquely-named folder with MultiSH4, then you end up with a mix of what you had before TMO_BH, and what you have now. Also, you should never attempt to use previous Saves after changing the overal mod load-out. It can be problematic even changing some of the seemingly simpler mods.

Also, there are some torpedo mods that are NOT compatible with TMO_BH, so if you have added a mod like that, try to remove it and see what happens.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-23, 02:07 PM   #4
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
No, it has not happened with other ships, which is what I find interesting. I cannot honestly remember if it is the same class of destroyer in both instances. No other mods installed other than those that came with TMO BH 2.0

I thought about the event camera. I think I will turn it off in options and try this saved game again and see. Good idea. I will let you know. Thank you
Old 04-18-23, 02:10 PM   #5
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Had you emptied the Save folder before beginning TMO_BH play sortofredhead? If you fail to empty the Save folder ("C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" by default), or don't create a new, uniquely-named folder with MultiSH4, then you end up with a mix of what you had before TMO_BH, and what you have now. Also, you should never attempt to use previous Saves after changing the overal mod load-out. It can be problematic even changing some of the seemingly simpler mods.

Also, there are some torpedo mods that are NOT compatible with TMO_BH, so if you have added a mod like that, try to remove it and see what happens.
Yes I did all of those items you mentioned and do not use save overs nor any mods that did not come with TMO BH. Iam interested in the one thing you mention which is renaming the documents save folder which I do still have as SH4. I had not seen that before. Are you suggesting that I can change the folder name and that may help? thank you.
Old 04-18-23, 02:31 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortofredhead View Post
I have encounter 2 instances so far of setting up and shooting on Japanese Destroyers and right as torpedo makes contact I get a CTD.

I am playing normal settings to there is an event camera that comes on. Is this possibly "overloading" the game for some reason? Any suggestions on this or it is just the way it is.

Thank you in advance.
i have experienced that CTD at various times playing TMO_BH.
we can be out on patrol, sink some ships and then at the next torpedo opportunity, BLAM, CTD.

it is ship independent and, as far as i remember, torpedo independent.

then there is the depth charge CTD, which is also specious. sometimes, you can endure a depth charge attack and other times, BLAM, CTD.

there are some issues with the current release.
i am waiting for BH to update his mod with a new release before i go back in that water.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 09:06 AM   #7
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i have experienced that CTD at various times playing TMO_BH.
we can be out on patrol, sink some ships and then at the next torpedo opportunity, BLAM, CTD.

it is ship independent and, as far as i remember, torpedo independent.

then there is the depth charge CTD, which is also specious. sometimes, you can endure a depth charge attack and other times, BLAM, CTD.

there are some issues with the current release.
i am waiting for BH to update his mod with a new release before i go back in that water.
Since I have started saving games and then exiting SH4 to then go back in and load the saved game, I have experienced far fewer CTD issues (when saving the game it cannot be at a point of a lot of action though). But with this detroyer CTD when attacking them (the CTD almost always happens right at the very moment upon a torpedo that is NOT a dud hitting the destroyer) I have found something interesting.

Usually I have a saved game upon making a contact. I am running TMO BH at regular play setting so the event camera in the game is active. After a destroyer attack CTD, if I restart SH4, go into gameplay settings (BEFORE loading saved game) and turn off Event Camera, then reload the last saved game and attack, I do not get the CTD. Just a note here, if you FIRST reload the saved game and THEN go into options, there is no gameplay setting to change anything. So even though I have turned off the event camera PRIOR to reloading the saved game, the event camera is still on in the saved game, but the CTD doesn't happen. Weird. So far this has been the case only 2 times that I have done this btw, so it is far from being "the fix" to this issue.

Also, have experienced a few of the destroyer depth charge CTD's. It appears to me to be when a particular depth charge will lead to my subs total demise.
Old 04-20-23, 11:25 AM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortofredhead View Post

Usually I have a saved game upon making a contact. I am running TMO BH at regular play setting so the event camera in the game is active. After a destroyer attack CTD, if I restart SH4, go into gameplay settings (BEFORE loading saved game) and turn off Event Camera, then reload the last saved game and attack, I do not get the CTD.
that's interesting. does turning off the Event Camera also prevent torpedo-hit CTDs?
going to have to try that next time i play TMO_BH.
btw, players cannot change their Gameplay Settings once they begin a mission/patrol. one can do that only while they are in port, between missions.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-23, 12:56 PM   #9
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
that's interesting. does turning off the Event Camera also prevent torpedo-hit CTDs?
going to have to try that next time i play TMO_BH.
btw, players cannot change their Gameplay Settings once they begin a mission/patrol. one can do that only while they are in port, between missions.
Again, I know it makes no sense, but PRIOR to loading the saved game where I had the "torpedo the destroyer CTD", I restart SH4, in the options screen I turn off the event camera, THEN I load the saved game. I realize, as I stated, that the event camera is still on in the saved game because you cannot change that in a saved game, but I have 2X now been able to torpedo a destroyer without CTD.
Old 04-20-23, 12:58 PM   #10
sortofredhead
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
I further determined that there is no 1 class of Japanese Destroyer that this occurs with. See my observations below in another post about the event camera.