SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-25-21, 06:07 AM   #1
kacpro090
Sailor man

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0
Default Preparing SH4 for modifications - tutorial

Hello,
I have the Steam game of SH4 with the U-boat missions installed, to be honest this is the easiest way to get the game right now. However, it has some flaws. Follow the instructions below to ensure that your SH4 will be ready to start.

TUTORIAL PART

1. Make sure you have Silent Hunter: Wolves of Pacific and Silent Hunter: Wolves of Pacific U-boat missions bought on Steam. Links:
SH4: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...f_the_Pacific/
SH4 U-boat missions: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Boat_Missions/

2. Now, this is the part in which you have to get a pendrive. HAVING A PENDRIVE IS CRUCIAL FOR THIS TUTORIAL.

3. Insert the pendrive into your computer, check if it connected with it via File Explorer.

4. Open Steam, then do following: click on "Steam", then "Settings". A new Settings windows will pop up. Select "Downloads" and click on "Steam Library Folders".

5. A new window will pop up, look for an + icon right next to the box showing your C drive, then click on it.

6. A new window will pop up. It will ask for you where to add a new Steam Library Folder. From the drop-down menu, select your pendrive (you will know which one is it since it has other drive letter) and then click "Add" (it should automatically select it for you).

7. Now you have created a Steam Library Folder on your pendrive. Close Steam fully (it means to close it via the tray bar thing on your taskbar)

8. Open File Explorer, click on your pendrive, then find the SteamLibrary folder, right click, cut, then go back to your C drive, and paste it in.

9. Navigate to Steam file directory (in my case: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam).

10. Go to steamapps folder, and look for libraryfolders.vdf file. Open it with notepad. Look for the following code line: "path" "D:\\SteamLibrary" (the D letter can be various, depends on the pendrive, refer to picture 1)

11. Replace the D with C. DO NOT REMOVE THE " MARKS.

12. Save the file, then go back to File Explorer, from there navigate back to the Steam files directory.

13. Go to config folder, and look again for libraryfolders.vdf file. Open it with notepad. Do the same thing like in step 10. REMEBER TO SAVE THE FILE!

14. Now you are free to close all of your windows.

15. Open Steam, wait for it to start. Once it starts navigate to "Steam" > "Settings", select "Downloads", click on "Steam Library Folders". On the new window, click on the + icon. From there Steam should automatically detect the new library folder and select it for you. If not, select it from drop-down menu. Click on "Add".

16. Now you can install SH4 and SH4 U-boat missions. When starting the installations, make sure you select "SteamLibrary" folder from the drop-down menu on the bottom of the window.

17. Once both are installed, navigate to the SH4 installation folder (in this case it will be: C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common)

18. Go to the SH4 game folder. Once in the folder, look for SH4.exe. Once you found it, right click on it and select "Properties"

19. A new window will pop up. From there select "Compatibility". Then, click on "Change DPI settings". New window will pop up. From there, mark "Override high DPI scaling behavior". Click "Ok".

20. Once back on the compatibility tab, mark "Run the Program as Administrator" option. This will be helpful when trying to run SH4 with mods.

And voila, you are done! If I said something wrong, feel free to inform me in the replies . Anyway see you on the hunt!

Pictures to refer to:
1 - https://gyazo.com/efeddbf47f7324d3afc58fa7aa3d5fe3
kacpro090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-21, 12:55 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Interesting... "fooling" Steam into a 2nd Library folder on the same drive... Do the other Steam games in the original Steam Library folder function correctly still? It would certainly be much easier to do it this way, AND less time consuming, having to wait for everything else to move, whether doing the Steam way, or the manual moving way...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-21, 02:00 PM   #3
kacpro090
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Interesting... "fooling" Steam into a 2nd Library folder on the same drive... Do the other Steam games in the original Steam Library folder function correctly still? It would certainly be much easier to do it this way, AND less time consuming, having to wait for everything else to move, whether doing the Steam way, or the manual moving way...
Yep, they work just fine.
Old 12-26-21, 02:07 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We will have to add a link to this little "trick" then... Nicely done researching the subject!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-21, 02:45 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15 Re: Preparing SH4 for modifications - tutorial...

Ahoy...

Before I begin, want it on the record, that in no way, what I'm saying... is to be taken as criticism, for kacpro090's tutorial... as it isn't.

Earlier on, they asked for a workaround/solution for them having a 1 HD set up & getting SH4 to work with mods, as I recall.

In that thread, I (after some cogitating on that) offered up what I believe is a... no fault, way to then do a complete, fresh install of all things "Steam" related.

Which, to My knowledge, should work, as well.

Not having a solo HD set up (haven't for some time now. Am running a 3 HD set up, 2 internal & 1 external.) I have no means to check & verify the 100% validity of the outline I put forth. (This, also includes kacpro090's) method outlined, either. No offence, kacpro090 )

Given that, I know that UAC's, Microsoft's pit bull guard dog... & knowing in order to ensure the ability, to induce mods, to change & create a fresher, newer version (true of any game, that I know of, as well. ) using JSGMe & would also assume, the use of MultiSH4 could work for making a new save folder for other games, beyond just SH4. Think that MultiSH3, could also, as well.. but, that is just speculation, on My part, as I haven't attempted to test that theory out... , Ok, that aside & back to the "meat" of the subject. ) it... DOES NOT suffer with any pleasure, the tampering of files & such, under its Darth Vader, Vulcan, King Kong death grip... whatsoever.

That said, the workaround, that I suggested, should work, for those that use just a single HD... just have NOT been able to test it out... but, it should work & without any issues in its execution.

It retains the game launcher (namely "Steam" here... & should also work with any other games launcher, that uses a games repository or therein known of, as a "library", to be installed, set up & used outside of UAC's iron fisted kingdom... which I loathe & detest with every fiber of My being... to play games, that you've bought & should be able to play, without having to have them launchers & libraries, cluttering up your hard drive space. just My .02 red cent's opinion there... )

If the method that kacpro090's outlined here, works well... then I welcome its inclusion. As the way I see it... it just adds 1 more bullet in the gun belt of a games bag of tricks, to tell Microsoft& the game dev.'s, to piss off. Politely, of course...

Just as well, as I hope the methodology install solution that I outlined does... on their older thread.

In all things, I wish all well & God speed.

Fair winds, smooth seas & ... Good huntin'.!

Warmest regards,

M. M.
Old 12-29-21, 07:48 AM   #6
kacpro090
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
We will have to add a link to this little "trick" then... Nicely done researching the subject!
Thanks!