SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-20, 10:52 AM   #1
Silent&deadly
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default Where can I find executable file (SH4.exe)

Can somebody please help me with this?
I am really struggling with Ubisoft and their lack of help.
I have brought Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific along with UBOAT missions from Ubisoft & they will not work.
Now I have been told to find executable file (SH4.exe) which I cannot find.

I have uninstalled & re installed both Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific along & UBOAT missions,verified both & looked in every folder & looked at every file and still cannot find executable file (SH4.exe).
I am fast loosing the will to live & fast regretting buying the games.

Somebody,........anybody.......please help
Old 07-07-20, 11:17 AM   #2
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

How can you not know where you installed SH4 to?, when you install the game the setup installer gives you the location of the hard drive its putting it in and in which directory its going to put it in.

Try looking in C:\ Program Files (x86), if you find it in there you've already installed it in the wrong place. Uninstall it and install it again but this time take your time and wait for the games location to appear, that's when you change where its going to go.

Don't put it in the Windows Program Files or the Program Files (x86).
Old 07-07-20, 11:18 AM   #3
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Yes, you must chose the sh4.exe to patch it with the '4GB Patch' or LAA in order to get more RAM for the game and avoid crashes if you mod the game.
Simplest way to find that file is right-clicking on the game icon > Open File Path.

But by reading you, I advice you to read some sticky posts here above about how to install the game correctly and make it run. This is a good start:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=219029

XS
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-20, 03:26 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent&deadly View Post
Can somebody please help me with this?
I am really struggling with Ubisoft and their lack of help.
I have brought Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific along with UBOAT missions from Ubisoft & they will not work.
Now I have been told to find executable file (SH4.exe) which I cannot find.

I have uninstalled & re installed both Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific along & UBOAT missions,verified both & looked in every folder & looked at every file and still cannot find executable file (SH4.exe).
I am fast loosing the will to live & fast regretting buying the games.

Somebody,........anybody.......please help
If you downloaded from Ubisoft, it does the install into "C:\Program Files (x86) \Ubisoft \Ubisoft Game Launcher \games \Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition \SH4.exe" - unless you have a 32-bit windows, then just drop the " (x86)" from the path. Ubisoft does it all in one package.

If you instead downloaded from Steam, then it defaults to "C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific \SH4.exe" - I am not 100% certain of the Steam path, because I do not have a Steam SH4, only SH3 & SH5, and a Ubisoft SH4, along with disk versions of all of them...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 10:22 PM   #5
dannz
Swabbie

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

seems I also need sh4.exe file. who has this file. sent it to me. thanks
Danny
dannz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 11:42 PM   #6
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Dependent upon your Windows set-up, you might not be seeing the file extensions. You have the Steam version of the game, so look in your Steam Library folder. If you're familiar with using Windows File Manager, or File Explorer (the name is dependent upon the Windows version also), navigate into that Steam folder and find the game folder. On my one computer that I set up things like you did, it's "D:\Steam Library \Silent Hunter 4...", so just below the Lirbary folder. On another computer, where I put Steam and the game on the C: drive, it's C:\Games \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter 4...". Once you find the game folder, click on the "View" tab at the top of the File Explorer, and then toward the upper right will be a "File name extensions" tick box. You might have to increase the size of your File Explorer window to see it all. But put a checkmark in that tick box, if there isn't one already, and you will then see "SH4.exe" and "SH4.ico" files in that folder. If you click on the "Details" choice for the display, you can then "sort" the files by clicking on "Type", and all of the executable files will group together just below the "act" type files. You should see the SH4.exe in that, along with the "SH4MissionEditor.exe" file.

If you don't have an SH4.exe in your Steam folder, then de-activate all your mods with JSGME. Once they are de-activated, then select the "MODS" folder, and use the <Ctrl><X> keyboard combination to "cut" the folder, then go up at least one folder level, or to the "root" of the drive and create a temporary folder, and then use <Ctrl><V> to paste the "MODS" folder into there for safekeeping. If you're not worried about losing the mods, disregard doing that. Then start your Steam app on your computer, and use its "Verify integrity of game files" from the "Local Files" dialog. That should bring everything back in. Put your MODS folder back in the game folder, or create a new one, and activate your mods again.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote