SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-26-09, 01:16 PM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

India launches nuclear submarine

Very impressive.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ine/index.html

Quote:
Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh launched the country's first locally built nuclear-powered submarine on Sunday.
Manmohan Singh, center, honors a war victory in New Delhi on Sunday, the same day he launched a sub.

"Today, we join a select group of five nations who possess the capability to build a nuclear-powered submarine," Singh declared in his speech at the eastern naval base of Visakhapatnam.

Although he billed the submarine as an outcome of a public-private partnership, the Indian leader did mention Russia in his address.
"I would also like to express our appreciation to our Russian friends for their consistent and invaluable cooperation, which symbolizes the close strategic partnership that we enjoy with Russia," Singh remarked.
Old 07-26-09, 03:02 PM   #2
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0

Wonderfull news,Pakistan will soon follow and we have another factor to an allready too complex stalemate.

As far as i'm concerned these countries dont really contribute to world stability and should not be allowed to have nuclear power or weapons as long as most of their people are forced to live like animals in their own garbitch,goes for China too..its an international disgrace to human kind.

Next step is SSBN's....China allready has them.

As far as impressive,no just plain crazy and dangerous..the power is shifting to the wrong people.

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 03:16 PM   #3
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

Yea some countrys shouldnt have nuclear power.... But I guess they should feel good they made there own nuke boat...
Old 07-26-09, 03:22 PM   #4
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloef View Post
Next step is SSBN's....China allready has them.
This is an SSBN, or it was last I heard
Old 07-26-09, 03:32 PM   #5
Kloef
Weps

Downloads: 30

Thats even more worrying....i start to think about Pakistan sabotage operations and technical accidents..

From the link:

"We do not have any aggressive designs, nor do we seek to threaten anyone. We seek an external environment in our region and beyond that is conducive to our peaceful development and the protection of our value systems," Singh said.

Who are they fooling?Non-aggresive design?Clowns on a nuke boat travelling the world to bring peace?

The rest just doesnt make any sense whatsoever,we seek an external environment in our region?Shangri-La?

The 'and beyond' is the part to be worried about...

http://www.dutchsubmarines.com/
Kloef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 04:00 PM   #6
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-09, 04:08 PM   #7
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Reminds me of the first stage Soviet boomers, the Hotels and the Golfs, however more advanced naturally because of the era. Small missile loadout and small size.
But, that's all India needs at the moment.
And with naval purchase relations between India and Russia at an all time low, perhaps they'll start looking towards other nations for their boomer needs, but who? I can't see the US helping, the UK would probably have more red tape than submarine, likewise other EU nations, and India and China aren't exactly best of friends so I guess that just leaves Russia.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 07:21 AM   #8
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloef View Post
Thats even more worrying....i start to think about Pakistan sabotage operations and technical accidents..

From the link:

"We do not have any aggressive designs, nor do we seek to threaten anyone. We seek an external environment in our region and beyond that is conducive to our peaceful development and the protection of our value systems," Singh said.

Who are they fooling?Non-aggresive design?Clowns on a nuke boat travelling the world to bring peace?
In comparison to an aircraft carrier (especially the type owned only by the United States), any kind of submarine is a highly defensive item.
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 06:57 PM   #9
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

From my reading it appears to be an attempt to start gaining some kind of parity with China in terms of capability. This is only one boat against the dozens China has, but I think the message it sends to China is very clear.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 10:44 AM   #10
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazuaki Shimazaki II View Post
In comparison to an aircraft carrier (especially the type owned only by the United States), any kind of submarine is a highly defensive item.
The idea of using submarines for defense kinda whent out of style in the late 30's if not in WWI. Subs are best used by sending them on offensive patrols off hostile shores to sink enemy ships or strike at land targets. Trying to use them any other way "on defense" is just a waste of a submarine.

While the sub is the pefered weapon of the lesser naval power just using them to defend your own coast only leaves your country isolated.

The best defense is a good offense as they say.

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-09, 07:31 PM   #11
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Makes sense for India. One of the world's largest democracies sandwiched between China and Pakistan. Sea based deterrent was inevitable.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 12:31 AM   #12
ekempey
Gunner

Downloads: 31

I wonder how quiet it is...are we talking Han class quiet (which is not), or are we talking type 93 quiet compared to the Chinese subs of course.
ekempey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 12:35 AM   #13
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Let's just hope they didn't follow the Russian's spec's on lead shielding.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote