SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-25-09, 10:48 AM   #496
Kazuaki Shimazaki II
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

I just read Larry Bond's Cold Choices, which is some kind of American catharsis, good-bad tale (with the Russians being bad and dumb and the Americans being saints and bright and omniniscent, of course).

They have a collision, and JUST to make sure there is no moral ambiguity at all Bond has the Russian Captain deliberate do near rams of the American sub... sigh... OK, Nichols, I understand why it sucks now...

But then, he can't lift a candle to Geoffrey Archer's 1989 work Shadow Hunter. It was 317 pages long. Actually, about 316 pages of is was pretty good. It actually had a Brit officer going off the rails, and though the KGB had a role it seemed like more of a "meeting battle" thing and the KGB deciding to get what they could rather than it being some long pre-planned mole affair. OK, eventually Brit officer is stopped after nearly starting a war, and a happy ending is about to come ... then out of nowhere on P.310 for no plot reason Archer has two Russian subs collide at top speed to their deaths... even in a genre that has Russians basically acting as throwaway characters to be destroyed by "brave and good Westerners" (a goodness which this book completely fails to show BTW), this must have been the tip of gratuitous death...
Kazuaki Shimazaki II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 12:15 PM   #497
Schöneboom
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 36

Currently reading Paul Preston's "The Spanish Civil War: Reaction, Revolution, and Revenge", the 2006 revised edition. Having read lots of books (in English) on La Guerra Civil, I'm impressed by the depth of the political context that this book provides. As I'm in the process of rewriting one of my screenplays on the SCW, I'm very glad I found Preston.

Dietrich Schöneboom, U-431
"Es wird klappen, Herr Kaleun. Ganz sicher."
Schöneboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-09, 12:29 PM   #498
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonfish View Post
after this i'll be reading SSN which is his little stand alone sub one.
For the love of all that is good and holy do NOT subject yourself to that. Just check out the Amazon reviews: http://www.amazon.com/S-N-Tom-Clancy...8542664&sr=8-1

They're all pretty spot on. I tossed the damn book out after about 100 pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murr44 View Post
Next on the "to read" list is Shattered Sword by Parshall & Tully. I bought the book back in 2005 & it's about time that I got around to reading it.
A great book. Very very dense in spots, and full of minute details, but once you finish it, you'll appreciate the level of depth they went into. A first class book.

I'm about to start "In Pursuit of Victory - The Life & Achievement of Horatio Nelson" by Roger Knight.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-09, 09:33 PM   #499
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6

Joshua Slocum's Sailing Alone Around the World right now.

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-09, 09:42 AM   #500
Syxx_Killer
Admiral

Downloads: 21

I've got a bunch of books from the local library's used book sale. I also ordered a couple used ones off Amazon. I recently finished Jurassic Park. That is my favorite movie (favorite franchise really) and I always wanted to read the book. It was awesome and quite different from the movie. I had to order that off Amazon. I am reading the sequel right now, The Lost World, that I got from the library. It is an awesome read so far. The movie is absolutely nothing like the book although it was a good movie. Next, I am going to start Typhoon by Robin White (ordered that off Amazon too), then a few Dale Brown novels, and finally start on some nonfiction books.
Syxx_Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-09, 03:32 AM   #501
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Just starting a book I found at the thrift store : Have Space Suit- Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein.

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 06:59 PM   #502
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

Just as I finished Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon--the last in a much-needed revisit started earlier in the year--a little parcel arrived today that I'm feeling pretty good about: Raymond Chandler: Collected Stories and Raymond Chandler: Stories and Early Novels ... featuring guess who

Between these two volumes: The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely and The High Window along with about thirty or so short stories all neatly packed together in 2,400+ pages all-told. So they should keep me busy for a while!

Last edited by Sockeye; 08-28-09 at 12:48 AM. Reason: small correction
Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 09:15 AM   #503
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

I'm currently in the middle of The "Ender's Game" series by Orson Scott Card. Sounds like he is working on a movie deal which would be great to see.
Old 08-28-09, 01:23 PM   #504
SilentAngel
Mate

Downloads: 10

'Topaz' by Leon Uris.
Running silent,running deep,sink into your silent sleep
SilentAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 06:54 PM   #505
KG_Jag
Bosun

Downloads: 35

I'm at the very end of "Lee's Tigers--The LA Infantry in the Army of Northern Virginia" by Terry l. Jones.

A book about the U.S. submarine war in the Pacific is in the on deck circle.
KG_Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 11:45 PM   #506
claybirdd
Frogman

Downloads: 32

Rules of Vengence by Christopher Reich. I highly recomend it.
claybirdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 02:42 PM   #507
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Just starting a book I found at the thrift store : Have Space Suit- Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein.
Heinlein is always fun.
Old 08-29-09, 02:44 PM   #508
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
Just as I finished Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon--the last in a much-needed revisit started earlier in the year--a little parcel arrived today that I'm feeling pretty good about: Raymond Chandler: Collected Stories and Raymond Chandler: Stories and Early Novels ... featuring guess who

Between these two volumes: The Big Sleep, Farewell, My Lovely and The High Window along with about thirty or so short stories all neatly packed together in 2,400+ pages all-told. So they should keep me busy for a while!

Many pages ago I commented on those very books. After reading Walter Mosely I decided I needed to meet the masters, so I went to the library and checked out the complete Hammett and Chandler. Awesome reading.
Old 08-31-09, 08:16 PM   #509
Sockeye
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

Oh, I definitely remembered the earlier posts, Steve, it just took me a little while to sortie

I was going to go for a set of Dash's at the same time as the Chandler salvo, but for whatever reason I decided to save that for another time. No rush, right? And definitely awesome reading all-around, like you said.

There was something else on the tip of my tongue to say, but my mind's a little too jumbled at the moment to think up anything coherent, so I better slink back into a shadowy cigarette-smoke-filled corner
Sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 09:50 PM   #510
Checkmate King 2
Helmsman

Downloads: 184
I'm just rapping up War of The Rats

http://www.amazon.com/War-Rats-David...1773042&sr=1-1

& I'm about to start Iwo Jima

http://www.amazon.com/Iwo-Jima-Bill-...1773079&sr=1-4
Checkmate King 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags