SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-09-08, 04:35 AM   #1
Dude
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default The submarine moves like a train!!!!

Dear Kaleuns

I have the impression that in the U-boat missions, at least in my rig, the u-boat acts more like a train an less like a vessel.

It moves in a vertical line,in spite of waves, speed, wind etc.

For example when you have waves and moving lets say at 20kts you would expect the submarine to move up and down following the motion of the waves.

Instead it moves like a train and even gets its propellers and rudders out of the water, because the sea moves following the motion of the waves but the submarine does not.

Anybody else having this issue???
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 05:22 AM   #2
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

check this:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...463#post824463

do this:

..edit the sim.cfg located in data\cfg
change this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2
Waves attenuation=0.75

into this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.6
Waves attenuation=0.03
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 08:56 AM   #3
Dude
Seaman

Thanks m8

I ll give it a shot
Old 04-09-08, 11:40 AM   #4
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

The quick and easy, is not neccessarly your answer.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...7&postcount=15
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 11:47 AM   #5
M. Sarsfield
Ace of the Deep

What type of machine are you running? The environmental mods have done their best to fix the sub on rails issue, but you will take a performance hit. There's also a depth/draft mod that addressed this issue for 1.4, but it has some bugs when used with 1.5. The RFB team is going to incorporate it into the next release of RFB.
www.ussbatfish.com

Communism killed over 100M people and all that I got was this lousy signature.*

*http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/COM.ART.HTM
M. Sarsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 12:21 PM   #6
hector
Seaman

Downloads: 125

I am using a "sim cfg" file which is from the "floating sub fix" by"Hoaramuth"(iirc) and a few tweaks to the subs "gc height" and i find the subs(US and German) rolling and pitching a lot better.It probably isnt as good as some of us would like to see but it is certainly miles better than the stock version.

Hector
hector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-08, 06:38 PM   #7
badaboom
Weps

Downloads: 46

I've noticed this issue with the u-boat but not the fleet boats,anyone else notice this?
Old 04-10-08, 05:32 AM   #8
Dude
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by badaboom
I've noticed this issue with the u-boat but not the fleet boats,anyone else notice this?
This is exactly why I made that post, because with the 1.4 and the US boats I had not issues what so ever.

My rig: Q6600, 3GB ram, 8800 GTS 640MB, Win XP SP2.
Old 04-10-08, 02:39 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Pay attention to Ducimus

In exchange for getting one thing to look right you exchange a whole lotta things that will not longer work right. Changing parameters is something that should be done only after many hours of testing so that you know the gameplay consequences of making the change. The opinions of top modders are more and more to keep boat center of gravity, weight, buoyancy, wave characteristics, etc much as they are in stock.

"Quick fixes" are very likely to result in "lingering headaches."
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 06:19 AM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

It's really a matter of "who do you trust." People have to earn my trust. Some others have.

It's interesting having a demodder in residence. Once people understand your demodding purposes and goals, I think you'll find less *****liness (can't say p*r*i*c*k*l*i*n*e*s*s? Censors are more trouble than they are worth!:rotfl around here. Modders are especially sensitive when someone claims quick "fixes." Good modders come from quick fixers who are forced by the consequences of their "fixes" to recognize the intricate checks and balances inherent in a complex system.

I would be really careful about accusing modders of creating monsters that "nobody really know what they do, including their creators."
These modders have spent hundreds of hours (hours no quick fixer will ever spend) testing the interaction of environment, sensors, submarine behavior and appearance to arrive at workable compromises.

Much of the time the best compromise available leaves a "glaring" defect for a quick fixer to diddle with. Almost all the time the original modder has already done that in literally a hundred variations and recognized the adverse effects overwhelm the "improvement." When Ducimus says that fog looks incredible but totally nerfs the sensors and thereby kills gameplay, I believe him because he has a long track record of excellence, including in areas where I found myself in vigorous disagreement.

Take his evil airplanes that bomb you at periscope depth and occasionally below. I panned that one good--hated the idea until I tried it and found that it changed player behavior to be more realistic by punishing head-in-the-sand, stay submerged all day burning up your batteries so you can't fight effectively at night gameplay. I also found that it was a lot of fun to play, totally against my expectations. That happened because Ducimus played with the settings for well over a month to arrive at the best compromise. And it happened because his long record of making good choices and understanding the balance of the game led me to try his "bad idea."

I have to wonder what your purpose is in announcing disappointment with a mission set that isn't out yet. I have to wonder about someone who pledges to "demod" it when it comes out.

I have to wonder when an upstart comes out and blithely claims an "easy fix" for the "sub on rails" issue teams of modders have worked on for over a year now, and that dozens of threads have kicked around for over a year. The state of the art right now is Pacific Environment by kriller2 and W_clear's Environment 4.1. I lean toward Pacific Environment because I don't want a mod that claims to be environmental messing with submarine and enemy AI behavior. That's Trigger Maru's territory and when I use TM I want it to act like TM.

That's another aspect of the SH4 modding world that isn't obvious to the newcomer: the cooperation between the modders here is amazing! Those who bemoan the lack of a supermod are forgetting the advantage of having coopetive (purposeful modding of English to produce the shade of meaning necessary here) smaller mods, where you can team Real Fleet Boat or Trigger Maru with Run Silent Run Deep and Pacific Environment. The SH4 modding world is much more individually configurable and much more organic than the SH3 modding world and we benefit from these new types of relationships between modders. Configuring yourself against the modders here is not good citizenship.

You're in a different world here. Get your bearings. Make some relationships. Learn from the great people here. Build trust. Do your research in the forum archives. Try PMing in confidence instead of posting confrontational claims that may later be found false. You'll find the modders here more than willing to adopt you, help, and even use your ideas if you go about it constructively. Some of them are trying out your settings in this thread right now and you'd profit from whatever observations they make if you build trust instead of deconstructing trust.

End of lecture. You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled programming, in progress....

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 04-11-08 at 07:46 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 07:55 AM   #11
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoarmurath
The mod i made is basically vickers3 values, (which are taken from SH3), made JSGME compatible for easier installation.

I have yet to see any adverse effect from using it.

the file can be found here

http://niflheim.endofinternet.net/fi...ng_sub_fix.zip
Haven't tried it, but after looking at it, you need to let people know that if they aren't using stock this resets a whole bunch of changes in many mods that allowed the AI to be more aggressive and gave more realistic performance to radar, sonar, visual spotting, and hydrophones.

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-08, 07:58 AM   #12
swdw
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sarsfield
What type of machine are you running? The environmental mods have done their best to fix the sub on rails issue, but you will take a performance hit. There's also a depth/draft mod that addressed this issue for 1.4, but it has some bugs when used with 1.5. The RFB team is going to incorporate it into the next release of RFB.
Actually it works under 1.5 with one exception, I've been having problems with it working correctly in the 1.5 version of TMO. Still trying to figure that out as Ducimus made no changes that should affect it. (And yes it is in the 1.4 and 1.5 version of RFB)

"you wouldn't catch me on a ship that deliberately sinks itself"- comment to me from a surface sailor.

System:
AMD 6300 3.5 GHz | 32GB DDR3 | SATA 300 320GB HD, SATA III 1TB HD, SATA III 1.TB HD | ASUS Sonar DS sound card
NVIDIA 1660 Super OC | Windows 10
swdw is offline   Reply With Quote