SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-31-10, 03:18 PM   #526
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0

Just wondering what the process was for getting our tail back on our subs map icon. Below is the process for TMO but I tried this and it did not work with RFB.

Disable TMO, and delete the following two files:
\Data\Menu\gui\ContLine.dds
\Data\Menu\gui\DashLine.dds

EDIT: Just played a quickie single mission and realized that the enemy icon does now have the tail, but still none on the sub icon.

Last edited by BillBam; 03-31-10 at 03:40 PM.
BillBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 05:06 PM   #527
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Half through 5th patrol and sighted only one ship! Darn you RSRDC!

Anyway, as for hydrophone testing, the only ship I was able to stumble upon was Small Old Split Merchant, some 2800t. It was doing 9kts and by hydrophone operator heard him at aprox. 4500~5000 yards. I think I have JPC-1 installed on my boat (IRC says max range 10000 yards).

Weather was calm, 0-1 m/s winds.

I will continue tomorrow, too tired to even think about SH4 atmo.

Last edited by TH0R; 04-01-10 at 04:10 AM. Reason: JPC-1
TH0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 12:12 PM   #528
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Hi there

I just starte a new career in RFB2.0 with the SS Gar (Dec41) and was somewhat astonished about the crewset. Why do the crew of the command room have machinist skills, i'm used to let them have the "command" skill. The command skill is named "quartermaster" in RFB, does it do the same thing? Why do i have the guys with "gunnery" skills in my aft torpedo room, and why do i have the highest ranked officer lost somewhere on the right side of the control room roster? Therefore i don't have an officer in the machine room. Lots of questions...

... maby someone can give me some light into the dark.

If the deckgun crew and the anti aircraft crew is made of other crew members already stationed else where, what would i need the hogans alley for. Ok, i can hire some additional crewmen for that purpose, which is what i'm going to do.

thanks
morph
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 01:49 PM   #529
ShadowWolf Kell
Medic

Downloads: 123

I have a small issue with RFB in it's current form.

Actually it's not so much RFB. Rather it's the uniform textures imported from RUIM. For some reason the hi-res textures cause my system to CTD.

I had to remove them while playing OM (though the standard textures work fine.) I'm not sure why this happens aside from the fact that they're compressed with DXT3 rather than DXT5.

Anyway is there a set of uniforms I can get to replace the hi-res ones for RFB? I really liked the mod but had to put it aside for awhile since every time I tried to go to the bridge in my Gato, I'd CTD. Didn't have any issues in my Sargo, which was odd.
ShadowWolf Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 04:15 PM   #530
Jten
Mate

Downloads: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Hi there

I just starte a new career in RFB2.0 with the SS Gar (Dec41) and was somewhat astonished about the crewset. Why do the crew of the command room have machinist skills, i'm used to let them have the "command" skill. The command skill is named "quartermaster" in RFB, does it do the same thing? Why do i have the guys with "gunnery" skills in my aft torpedo room, and why do i have the highest ranked officer lost somewhere on the right side of the control room roster? Therefore i don't have an officer in the machine room. Lots of questions...

thanks
morph
As I understand it...
The only personnel on a sub that are truly 'Command' are the Officers and Chief Petty Officers. Most of the Control Room personnel controlling the engines and trim controls are actually in the Machinist (Engineer) ratings because that's who controls engines and trim machinery. The Gunnery Rating among the Torpedo mates is a little due to the game mechanics and helps to reflect that the boat's weapons were under the control of 'ordnance' and both torpedo rooms and surface weapons were primarily manned by them. Consider them to be Torpedo mates with extra deck weapons training. The highest ranking officer is actually YOU the player (Lt. Cmdr or Cmdr) the LT. (who would be the XO)is there because that spot places him at the Navigation map during his watch. XO was commonly the 1st Navigator, and the other Officers would be assigned as either Supply, Deck, Engineer, Communications, Weapons or Radar/Sonar Officers but had SCPOs or CPOs to manage the division. The engine room was usually overseen by a chief or senior PO1 on a constant basis. The Officer's Division assignment were secondary to their GQ duties. They would be in the control room or conning tower during an attack.

Commanding Officer
Approach Officer
TDC Operator
Assistant TDC Operator
Navigational Plotter
Diving Officer
Sonar Plotter

Hogans Alley is just to overcome the fact that if you do not move deck watch personnel out of their slots when submerged the game will still let depth charges kill them. I even use it on surface gun attacks to minimize casualties to the Deck Watch if the target has a gun I did not detect. I have even moved forward torpedo personnel to it when ramming sampans so they don't take minor injuries. (Which has happened)
Jten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 07:13 PM   #531
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
From post #1:

Quote:
18. Lookout specialization re-named to Quartermaster. In reality, petty officers with the Quartermaster and Signalman ratings drew the duty of 'Quartermaster of the Watch' and were assigned to bridge detail. (Source: The Fleet Type Submarine). In addition, the Signalman rating was absorbed into the Quartermaster rating twice in the post-war era (1948 and 2003).
The crew in the command room have the machinist skill because it was machinists mates and electricians mates that manned the control room (same way it was in the U-boats).

That highest-ranked officer in the command room is the boat's XO, who was also the boat's chief navigator.

The gunnery-rated crewmen would be in one of the torpedo rooms when not manning the guns. Almost all American subs had two gunner's mates among their crew complement.

Trust me, I've done a lot of research into how the USN manned their submarines during the war.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 07:18 PM   #532
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jten View Post
The Gunnery Rating among the Torpedo mates is a little due to the game mechanics and helps to reflect that the boat's weapons were under the control of 'ordnance' and both torpedo rooms and surface weapons were primarily manned by them. Consider them to be Torpedo mates with extra deck weapons training.
Well, not quite. To expand on what I wrote above, almost every American sub during the war had two Gunner's Mates among the crew's complement (bigger boats like the V-boats had more). Typically it was a PO2 and a PO3, but I've seen rosters with a PO1 and/or a CPO.

RFB Team Leader
Old 04-01-10, 09:43 PM   #533
Morpheus
Ensign

Downloads: 17

Hi guys

Thanks for all your great feedback. Let's see if i can digest it and either used it as given, or do some modifications. Changing crew men back and forth (micromanagement) is not so my style, exceptionally ignoring the aspect of the real fleet boats. For such tasks i would appreciate micormanagement shortcuts (change these x men form here to there and back), but that functionality isn't in the game, so i won't do it that way...

br morph
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 10:07 AM   #534
ichso
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontpage
Added six empty planesmen slots to the control rooms for all American boats. Two enlisted men from each bridge watch should be placed here when the boat is submerged.
Is it supposed to be like this that I don't see any planesmen in an S-Class sub even when being submerged ?
They only show up when I order battle stations - otherwise my sub is a ghost driver.
ichso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-10, 06:36 PM   #535
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichso View Post
Is it supposed to be like this that I don't see any planesmen in an S-Class sub even when being submerged ?
They only show up when I order battle stations - otherwise my sub is a ghost driver.
Like I said, you have to manually move them to those slots. I just checked to make sure it's working correctly, and it is. This change, though, won't show up for a career in progress.

RFB Team Leader
Old 04-03-10, 11:27 AM   #536
TH0R
XO

The new torpedo dud rate has forced me to chase this 10000t tanker on surface after 3 out of 4 torpedoes were duds. The one hit didn't do much to stop her.

Amazingly I managed to hit her while she was zig zaging away from me at ~9 kts true speed:

Finishing her off with 3"-er...

Old 04-03-10, 12:02 PM   #537
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Amazingly I managed to hit her while she was zig zaging away from me at ~9 kts true speed:
Good aiming, then

Thanks to the german aiming system (TDC locked to optics and no position keeper) I have become quite good at gut-shots, and for finishing those pesky zigzagging merchants it is a real help. It's a pity that the US targetting system as represented in SH4 is not that flexible, let alone how it was in real life. Yet I still have been able to do some nice quick shots with no solution at all, except entering the bearing and claculating by naked eye the lead angle

Last edited by Hitman; 04-03-10 at 02:55 PM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-10, 01:22 PM   #538
TH0R
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Good aiming, then

Thanks to the german aiming system (TDC locked to optics and no position keeper) I have become quite good at gut-shots, and for finishing those pesky zigzagging merchants it is a real help. It's a pity that the US targetting system as represented in SH4 is that flexible, let alone how it was in real life. Yet I still have been able to do some nice quick shots with no solution at all, except entering the bearing and claculating by naked eye the lead angle
I remember wasting lots of torps trying to hit ships that were running away from me. Practice makes perfect.

Is anyone else here testing the beta patch? I am interested in the changed critical hit rate which is now 5% compared to the 1/1000 in previous versions.
Old 04-04-10, 04:43 PM   #539
BillBam
Watch Officer

Downloads: 171
Default Torpedos not reloading during refit

On my first RFB 2.0 campaign (had several stock campaigns completed) and I cannot get torpedos to restock on the boat. I came back from my first patrol and docked then left on a new patrol and was surprised as heck the I still only had the two I came into port with. I headed to the closest refit port and tried to restock and nothing is working.

RFB 2.0
RFB 2.0 Patch 06 March
RSRDC-RFB V575
RSRDC V5xx Patch1
MaxOptics for RFB

Any help would be appreciated!
BillBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-10, 06:13 PM   #540
McHibbins
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBam View Post
On my first RFB 2.0 campaign (had several stock campaigns completed) and I cannot get torpedos to restock on the boat. I came back from my first patrol and docked then left on a new patrol and was surprised as heck the I still only had the two I came into port with. I headed to the closest refit port and tried to restock and nothing is working.

RFB 2.0
RFB 2.0 Patch 06 March
RSRDC-RFB V575
RSRDC V5xx Patch1
MaxOptics for RFB

Any help would be appreciated!
That sounds odd. View the readme. You have to restock torps manually in the homeport