SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-04-09, 12:13 AM   #31
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldorak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens
Intel Core i7-920 Processor, what's this? Does it supercede the Dual core/Quad core? Would this PC be a good choice?

Pros? Cons?

Don't buy into the hype for the i7 processors.
These are workstation oriented processors, very fast in multithreaded applications BUT for gaming they are a marginal increase at best and in some cases they even go slower over the fastest Core 2 Quads. If all you do is rendering all day long then yes an i7 is your choice, but for gaming no. You'll just throw $$$$ for no benefit at all.
Take a Core 2 Quad at 3 GHz with 12 MB L2 cache + 4/8 GB of ddr2 ram and you'll have a computer that smokes pretty much everything out there.

Thanks, that's sort of the conclusion I came to. That, plus I didn't want to re-learn processors all over again.
Old 03-04-09, 09:31 AM   #32
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
TELL ME YOU DIDN'T BUY A DELL!!!!! Ugghhh!

I also have a POS Dell arriving tomorrow for work that I am so not looking forward too, regardless that its decked out with Nvidia GPU, etc.

They skimp on everything. Looks nice on paper BS....

-S
Just what are you trying to say I use a Dell at work. It runs well and does the job. Neal is getting a Dell dude! A lot of folks told me not to get Emachine (now Gateway). Many said it was a POS. I have had two of them over the years and both have been great. My daughters are still using the second one! It just keeps cranking along and as many times as I have grounded out the MB on the chassis, it is a wonder it still does. I think the Dell Neal purchased will be cool groovy.
Old 03-04-09, 10:27 AM   #33
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
TELL ME YOU DIDN'T BUY A DELL!!!!! Ugghhh!

I also have a POS Dell arriving tomorrow for work that I am so not looking forward too, regardless that its decked out with Nvidia GPU, etc.

They skimp on everything. Looks nice on paper BS....

-S
Just what are you trying to say I use a Dell at work. It runs well and does the job. Neal is getting a Dell dude! A lot of folks told me not to get Emachine (now Gateway). Many said it was a POS. I have had two of them over the years and both have been great. My daughters are still using the second one! It just keeps cranking along and as many times as I have grounded out the MB on the chassis, it is a wonder it still does. I think the Dell Neal purchased will be cool groovy.
They don't put much crap on them anymore, the last couple of ones I setup at work were good to go out of the box. Yes they still have the Dell service thing, but that's easy to dump.
longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 12:03 PM   #34
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Yeah, I have to go with Dell, being from Texas and all I think they give a fair value for the dollar, and since I'm only spending $950, this should be a good value.

The computer is supposed to come with WinXP, and free Vista upgrade. With Windows 7 coming, I may skip Vista. Hopefully Win7 will not be such a system and resource hog.
Old 03-10-09, 03:22 PM   #35
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

The order page and tracking says tomorrow...will be sitting in a lawn chair in the front yard sipping tea and reading Das Boot watching for the FedEx truck...

Old 03-10-09, 03:31 PM   #36
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Wonderful. I think you will be amazed at the speed. Once again, gaming becomes incredibly fun with all the bells and whistles pushed to the max
Old 03-10-09, 04:00 PM   #37
longam
Admiral

Downloads: 26

Don't forget to pop the top to do a check.

Removing the plastic film from the stainless will take the longest! oh the excitement!

longam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 04:26 PM   #38
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

One think to remember about dell and other named brands. You have 30 days to make sure your rig is running perfectly. If dell messed up there rig they sold you because a component doesn't work just right there not responsible for it after 30 day unless its a manufacture defect.

I learn that one with an X-fi PCI Extreme Music card added to and nForce 790i motherboard package. It never work properly I had the clicking sound issues like reported in many forums. But the killer was the BSOD from a month and a half after playing certain games with X-Fi attached to the nforce mobo board. Onced removed all is good and perfect.

If you don't believe me Dell customer service told me this.

I had a similar issue for my wifes sony viao with a burnt DVD burner that crapped out after 3months. But thats a different story.
Old 03-10-09, 04:39 PM   #39
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Thanks for the advice, Wolf, I'll be sure to check all the systems thoroughly on Day 1.

Then on Day 2...

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 05:20 PM   #40
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Nothing like the smell of new hardware warming up. I do not know if you got Vista or not and it might pertain to XP now. Remember to register you OS with MS. I had to with Vista. You have 30 days to register you OS if you need to do it.
Old 03-10-09, 06:12 PM   #41
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nichols
Go with the Dell. I've had four and was happy with every one. Their XPS service & support can't be beat.
Also, up the RAM as AVGWarhawk suggests, RAM is cheap and is the best bang-for-the-buck to improve performance.
Neal, I think you made a right decision in purchasing the Dell machine. I agree with the subguru here. I currently have an XPS 400. I got it in 2005 and only had trouble once. I had to replace the hard drive 2 weeks ago. No problems with their service and the replacement and support was easy. In regards to memory, yes, Dell Memory right now is very cheap. I just purchased 2GB more of memory to bring my specs up to a total of 4GB. Each 1GB memory module purchased was only $12.59 plus tax and shipping.While I would like to have a new system, my Dell XPS is still running perfectly. I'm sure you'll be happy with your new purchase.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 07:17 PM   #42
XLjedi
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 8

Enjoy the new PC.

Personally... I'd never go back to one of those proprietary innard pre-builts.
Old 03-10-09, 08:03 PM   #43
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk
Nothing like the smell of new hardware warming up. I do not know if you got Vista or not and it might pertain to XP now. Remember to register you OS with MS. I had to with Vista. You have 30 days to register you OS if you need to do it.
The computer comes with WinXP, and free Vista upgrade. When the I need the PC to do something that it will not do on XP, I'll consider using the Vista upgrade. With Windows 7 coming, I may skip Vista. I can get MS software for cheap as a student at the college.

Last edited by Onkel Neal; 03-11-09 at 12:39 AM.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 07:51 AM   #44
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

7 is not far off. Good plan of action. Hope the new rig arrives today. I guess we will not see you for a few days, eh?
Old 03-11-09, 01:09 PM   #45
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 25

Wait for windows 7. I like it more than vista. But its still beta and not the real finished product... Hard to say... your call dude.