SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-17-22, 12:37 AM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Naming Units shared among nations

Some classes of vessels were in service with different nations, but used different names. In SH 4 can copy and paste say a Clemson DD from US into British roster, but if wanted the Clemson (hypothetical) to show up on US and Brit rosters (as it does) but with a different name on Brit roster, is it this possible without cloning the vessel, having to have a different sea folder all of that.

I changed it in the roster file, the "display name" but will still show up as a Clemson in the sim.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 06:30 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Some classes of vessels were in service with different nations, but used different names. In SH 4 can copy and paste say a Clemson DD from US into British roster, but if wanted the Clemson (hypothetical) to show up on US and Brit rosters (as it does) but with a different name on Brit roster, is it this possible without cloning the vessel, having to have a different sea folder all of that.

I changed it in the roster file, the "display name" but will still show up as a Clemson in the sim.
i have done what you are trying to do but i am having trouble remembering how i did it.

p.s. after further review (and a cup of coffee) i believe that changing the Roster\Names.Cfg should change the names in the sim. i am doing this in my current installation of Dark Waters because i absolutely hate the Merchants' naming convention. i mean, what does L-SM-F-T really mean to a seaman?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 08:51 AM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i have done what you are trying to do but i am having trouble remembering how i did it.

p.s. after further review (and a cup of coffee) i believe that changing the Roster\Names.Cfg should change the names in the sim. i am doing this in my current installation of Dark Waters because i absolutely hate the Merchants' naming convention. i mean, what does L-SM-F-T really mean to a seaman?

Lol yea never cared for that myself or how stock did Japanese merchant names, no MARU names. First time I saw ships named Maru in SH 4 was in TMO.

Problem with changing name in the names.cfg is it will change the name no matter what country the vessel is assigned to. I can take for example a British ship in the roster and put it in the US roster, it will work fine, but will still use British name.

Ill just go ahead and do some cloning, just kind of a pain in the stern. lol
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-22, 07:43 PM   #4
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1105
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post

as Bubblehead has stated, this would change the names of every ship with the same classname in all rosters, the clone method is the way to go.

Just remember to keep it simple, cfg, eqp, sns. sil and shp only.
Also needs a Roster > country > Sea > xxx.cfg to match...
So many times, i have forgotten this...