SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-22, 12:43 PM   #1
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Default Cold Weather Clothing for fleetboats (HELP!)

I've tried for a while to add cold weather clothing to TMO for fleetboats (sboats as well of course, but they do already have a mod, but want them all included). Basically, want to make a JSGME mod can enable before patrols in cooler climates because frankly, its a immersion killer when patrolling Sea of Okhotsk or off New London in January during New Construction, or operating with SubRon 50 in 1942/43 in ATO and in attire would only weather in warmer climates.

I have attempted to add this multiple times, used FOTRS , and some mods previously released for TMO for the S boats only(wondered why people did S boats only, all boats need them) but it ends in CTD every time. I am at my wits end here but would really like to finally have this in the forthcoming TMO 2.0.

So if someone is willing to do it or at least do one boat say a Gato so I can have a working example, I can do the rest I am sure.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 03:26 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The FotRSU CWC is almost completely different, and next to impossible to alter to fit TMO. It would be easier to copy the B-Boat version for TMO, and apply it to the other boats. The only difference(s) between the S-Boats and the Fleetboats is that the Gun Room in a Fleetboat is Compartment 7 for aft and Compartment 8 for fore, whereas the S-Boat only has the fore gun in Compartment 6. Otherwise, it is a drop-in for all of the other boats. Similarly with the conning towers, other than there are slight differences in gun configurations, but you always find the Watch in UnitPart X.Compartment 1 (possibly UnitPart 1-4 for each conn), the aft gun crews in Compartment 2, and the fore gun crews in Compartment 3. Otherwise, they all "reside" in CrewMemberSlot X. So Submarine folder, SubName.upc for submarine stuff - which would be the Deck Gun Slots, and the UPCData UPCUnitsData folder, UnitPartsXSubName.upc file for the watch and AA positions. The only caveat is that you crew positions between the boats will be in a different order of ranking, dependent upon Class, such that the S-Boat might have a Junior Officer, a CPO, and a PO1C as your watch leaders, whereas the Fleetboats have Junior Officer, CPO and Junior Officer, but in any of the possible rank order...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 04:09 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The FotRSU CWC is almost completely different, and next to impossible to alter to fit TMO. It would be easier to copy the B-Boat version for TMO, and apply it to the other boats. The only difference(s) between the S-Boats and the Fleetboats is that the Gun Room in a Fleetboat is Compartment 7 for aft and Compartment 8 for fore, whereas the S-Boat only has the fore gun in Compartment 6. Otherwise, it is a drop-in for all of the other boats. Similarly with the conning towers, other than there are slight differences in gun configurations, but you always find the Watch in UnitPart X.Compartment 1 (possibly UnitPart 1-4 for each conn), the aft gun crews in Compartment 2, and the fore gun crews in Compartment 3. Otherwise, they all "reside" in CrewMemberSlot X. So Submarine folder, SubName.upc for submarine stuff - which would be the Deck Gun Slots, and the UPCData UPCUnitsData folder, UnitPartsXSubName.upc file for the watch and AA positions. The only caveat is that you crew positions between the boats will be in a different order of ranking, dependent upon Class, such that the S-Boat might have a Junior Officer, a CPO, and a PO1C as your watch leaders, whereas the Fleetboats have Junior Officer, CPO and Junior Officer, but in any of the possible rank order...

I've tried FOTRS as well as Travellers CWC mod and another CWC mod for TMO Sboats, just doesnt work for fleetboats. I made all the changes and does not work. Every time I enable it, CTD, CTD. Disable, not CTD.

I think its the different crew positions etc. but Im pretty much lost and at wits end on this one (unreal how much trouble it is lol) which is why I posted. Yes, I'd love to use the CWC from FOTRS, watch caps etc but at this point but if could get others to work id be happy, something.

Just need a working example perhaps for TMO in a fleetboat, so can make it happen, thus the post. You know how this sim is lol
Old 03-24-22, 10:49 PM   #4
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Ahoy, BH.

I've tried making CWC mod before, but i realized that due to the "bad mechanism" of the game, the CWC settings would always "remain" in your save file, even if you disable it in JSGME. which means in a campaign, if you return from cold waters and go to tropical again, the crew would still have heavy coats and wool caps. Cold weather clothing will exist during the entire career.

I think that's the reason why previous people only made CWC for Alaska campaign. Because it cannot be a JSGME-ready mod and changed by player's will.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-22, 11:13 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminus View Post
Ahoy, BH.

I've tried making CWC mod before, but i realized that due to the "bad mechanism" of the game, the CWC settings would always "remain" in your save file, even if you disable it in JSGME. which means in a campaign, if you return from cold waters and go to tropical again, the crew would still have heavy coats and wool caps. Cold weather clothing will exist during the entire career.

I think that's the reason why previous people only made CWC for Alaska campaign. Because it cannot be a JSGME-ready mod and changed by player's will.
Yes, had that experience when tried to use CWC for S boats on fleet boats previously. No issues with S Boats.

Apparently FOTRS CWC mod works fine with fleetboats and does not remain when mod removes. A relatively easy fix is to backup the file prior to enabling mod, if it sticks, can make some edits. Worst case you lose a patrol. Would definitely be worth having mod if could get it working as FOTRS has.

I tried again this evening, two CTD due to CWC mod. quite aggravating.
Old 03-24-22, 11:29 PM   #6
flaminus
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Apparently FOTRS CWC mod works fine with fleetboats and does not remain when mod removes
Really? I used "805_CWC_FIOQ" in the FotRSU addinpack and it remains. do you mean the CWC mod for original FOTRS?
Old 03-25-22, 11:44 AM   #7
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

They do indeed "stick" if you do a career with more than one patrol. The only way to "fix" that is to "remove" the CWC with another mod, or do massive quantities of text editing in the Save folder by hand... The "crew" and "clothing" things are a royal #$%@& pain in the hind quarters... We had a person playing FotRSU move a crew member in the boat, and the clothing he was wearing on the interior, followed him topside, resulting in doubled "hats" on his head... Very frustrating to attempt to mod something, that the game engine does not "track" in a sensible way... - either have the clothing follow the position, or have the game automatically do proper "cold weather" and "battle stations" clothing and gear for the entire crew. They go outside? then they have the proper gear... but ~no~ can't do that... they never finished the game. Look at the "wet weather" gear... only comes on when it is dumping rain and the wind is up, not when it is light rain, or the seas are up... sigh

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-22, 12:19 PM   #8
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
They do indeed "stick" if you do a career with more than one patrol. The only way to "fix" that is to "remove" the CWC with another mod, or do massive quantities of text editing in the Save folder by hand... The "crew" and "clothing" things are a royal #$%@& pain in the hind quarters... We had a person playing FotRSU move a crew member in the boat, and the clothing he was wearing on the interior, followed him topside, resulting in doubled "hats" on his head... Very frustrating to attempt to mod something, that the game engine does not "track" in a sensible way... - either have the clothing follow the position, or have the game automatically do proper "cold weather" and "battle stations" clothing and gear for the entire crew. They go outside? then they have the proper gear... but ~no~ can't do that... they never finished the game. Look at the "wet weather" gear... only comes on when it is dumping rain and the wind is up, not when it is light rain, or the seas are up... sigh

Ahh I had not noticed it sticking when I tested it in FOTRS. All cleared out when I disabled mod. I suppose would hav eventually.

So basically need a mod with "normal" (fair weather) clothing to restore after removing the CWC. Something I'd gladly include once have it working in TMO.

Yes, its ridiculous the unfinished state in which the sim was released. Do wish we could do hardcoded fixes are SH 3 has (how did those come about anyways?)

Anyways, still trying to chug along and have the CWC mod for fleetboats in TMO happen. Try number 21 I think lmao.
Old 03-25-22, 10:47 PM   #9
flaminus
Sparky

SH4 doesn't have a dynamic mechanism to change between normal clothes and cold clothes, so I suppose it's also impossible to use another mod to restore normal clothes. the clothes are settled when a career starts, unless start a new one or manually editing save files. As BH said, maybe we need a hardcore fix to alter the game.

Last edited by flaminus; 03-25-22 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-29-22, 03:27 AM   #10
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786
Uploads: 0

I have been saying that someone with the skill to modify the SH4 hardcode should really look into it. It's been done with SH3 and SH5 so why not SH4. But for some unknown reason there are people in the SH4 community who are adamantly against it even though their objections are by now unfounded.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-22, 04:50 AM   #11
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I have been saying that someone with the skill to modify the SH4 hardcode should really look into it. It's been done with SH3 and SH5 so why not SH4. But for some unknown reason there are people in the SH4 community who are adamantly against it even though their objections are by now unfounded.
Yes, quite unfortunate. We could do so much like other SH games have. Ah.
Old 04-07-22, 01:41 PM   #12
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452

In my Dark Waters main mod, I have an add-on mod for cold weather clothes … that was working great, activating it before mission, and deactivating it when better days coming.

Maybe you could try it… but it was for German U-Boats… anyway you can use it as you want

Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 02:32 PM   #13
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
In my Dark Waters main mod, I have an add-on mod for cold weather clothes … that was working great, activating it before mission, and deactivating it when better days coming.

Maybe you could try it… but it was for German U-Boats… anyway you can use it as you want

Thanks, but that is the problem I have run into. I have no examples for fleetboats in TMO. I've tried many times to follow examples of other mods and try to make it happen with TMO but I am doing something wrong as always causes CTD. Thus the plea for help, as I really want to get this into the next version of the mod.
Old 04-07-22, 04:56 PM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
modifying hard coding violates the use license for any software package/program/system.
read the license agreement for SH4 (or any piece of software that you use) and you will see what i mean.

we, subsim users, are applying changes to certain game parameters which change the conditions under which we play the game, however modifying code is a federal offense, with fines and jail, if convicted.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-22, 09:18 PM   #15
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1786

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
modifying hard coding violates the use license for any software package/program/system.
read the license agreement for SH4 (or any piece of software that you use) and you will see what i mean.

we, subsim users, are applying changes to certain game parameters which change the conditions under which we play the game, however modifying code is a federal offense, with fines and jail, if convicted.

Ok, so explain to me why it has been done by Steibler and Hsie for SH3 and Thedarkwraith for SH5 which by the way is a newer game than SH4. Like I said unfounded concern.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote