SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-23-22, 12:28 PM   #4636
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
To see what you are actually getting out of the game, press and hold the <Ctrl> key, and press the <F8> key, then let them both go. You should then have a numberic display of your fps in the top border of the game window.
That simply switches back to FIle Explorer and brings up a Project menu on the
right side of the screen, same as just using F8. Win10 Pro, if that makes a difference.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 06:57 PM   #4637
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default Convoy Formation changes when ship sinks

PB,

we were chatting about the convoy changing formation when a ship is sunk.
you had suggested that because the ship that was sunk was the Convoy Leader, the remainder of the convoy dispersed helter-skelter due to lack of leadership.
here is an excellent example, however the ship(s) that sank were NOT the convoy leaders.

First stage.
We are on the surface, we've detected most of the convoy but have not identified all of the members. Winds were 15m/s. Notice the two sinks (Heians). Everybody is still in good order. The time is 0530.

Second stage.
Still on the surface, three minutes later (0533). Notice a third Heian has sunk and the members are starting to disperse.

Third stage.
Seven minutes later (0540). We are submerged. the convoy is still dispersing, sailing this way and that way. this behavior is making me think that the Ubi logic is not distinguishing between a ship lost due to stormy weather and a ship lost to enemy fire.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 09:06 AM   #4638
ArditoCorsaro
Planesman

Downloads: 511

I used LAA when I couldn't end the second mission Prop, but the read only was crossed. The game did work fine but probably as you sad, the LAA couldn't work properly. Maybe is for that, indeed if i did restart the mission ending it immediately it did work. I could end it. I guess that since I makes many saves, in some passage they got corrupted. And maybe the read only option in properties was involved.
So do you suggest to not attack when the enemy force is too big, or if the game lag too much? (To my PC it don't lag very much, with LAA almost nothing lag, only in Pearl harbour when there are too ship or if there's too traffic it lag a little bit, or returning mission with more tc than 64x when I close the red circle it lag. But in other circumstances with LAA it don't lag.).

I will try your suggestions! I hope this time i can end a campaign.
I will start in San Diego with the s boats in early 1942, or i will start with some single war patrol until 1943, then I will do a career. Wish me good luck I hope really this time it will not ctd returning in port sometime after the first patrols. (For that i opted for the s boat campaign in the Aleutians, starting from San Diego, short patrols, to see if all work fine. While with fleet boats i loose 3 months at sea without know that. If all work fine with the early war campaign or war patrols i will try a fleet boat campaign).

About the machine, it is not the latest but it's more than good for sh4, (i play even to Rome total war 2 or Attila, or the last total wars over than the oldest, and i play without problems to il2 sturmovik and other flight simulators l, and sh4 never gived me problems every time I had a problem with fotrsu it was for a options matter, my faulty and changing the options in the right way it ever worked. So i hope i will made it trough also this time. We LL see. Thank you guys!

Last edited by ArditoCorsaro; 05-25-22 at 09:14 AM.
ArditoCorsaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-22, 10:43 AM   #4639
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

No, I was saying that under normal circumstances, I would not attack in the dead-calm sea, no matter the size of the group. The example was to show that the game can slow things down quite a lot on a computer, and that you definitely need to have LAA properly activated. We have seen more than one player that did not have LAA or the 4Gig Patch activated, but they had enough computer power to run the game under normal circumstances. Most people end up with a crash. I also wanted to point out that my capturing video was "stealing" frames, and further impacting how well the game ran. Notice that the DDs had no trouble finding my boat, or of sinking me...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 01:19 PM   #4640
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54
Default 20mm Deck Gun

If this has been discussed or explained somewhere, please just point me to the right place. I searched the FOTRSU thread but couldn't find anything addressing this specifically.

I'm in USS Gato out of Brisbane. I returned from a patrol in early 1943 and saw that I could upgrade my existing 4inch/50cal deck gun to a 4inch/50cal combined with an additional 20mm "deck" gun on other end of boat. I purchased this upgrade for my Gato. I happen to have my 4inch on the bow so the new single 20mm took the stern deck placement. I also have my primary AA gun (dual 20mm) in its normal placement up on the back of the sail. After setting out on patrol I first stopped to do all my normal pre-patrol checks so I can quickly run back into port if something is amiss. I've got a couple of questions related to the new 20mm deck gun after checking things out.

First, does the new deck mounted 20mm gun function solely as an additional deck gun against surface targets and is not employable as additional AA gun? I saw that the new 20mm gets manned whenever I select "man the deck gun" just as the 4inch gets manned and it appears to react automatically to the same commands I give for the main deck gun (fire at will, aim for waterline, etc.). Giving AA gun commands to the dual 20mm AA has no effect on the single deck mounted 20mm. The deck mounted 20mm also has slots for a crew of 4 just like the 4 inch deck gun, while the dual 20mm AA gun is manned by a crew of one. Is it supposed to be that way?

Finally, I can't see any way to take control of the new single 20mm deck gun. I can take control and manually fire the 4inch main deck gun or the dual 20mm AA gun, but I don't see a method to assume control of the single 20mm deck gun. Just wondering what I might be missing or don't understand.
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 05:36 PM   #4641
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
If this has been discussed or explained somewhere, please just point me to the right place. I searched the FOTRSU thread but couldn't find anything addressing this specifically.

I'm in USS Gato out of Brisbane. I returned from a patrol in early 1943 and saw that I could upgrade my existing 4inch/50cal deck gun to a 4inch/50cal combined with an additional 20mm "deck" gun on other end of boat. I purchased this upgrade for my Gato. I happen to have my 4inch on the bow so the new single 20mm took the stern deck placement. I also have my primary AA gun (dual 20mm) in its normal placement up on the back of the sail. After setting out on patrol I first stopped to do all my normal pre-patrol checks so I can quickly run back into port if something is amiss. I've got a couple of questions related to the new 20mm deck gun after checking things out.

First, does the new deck mounted 20mm gun function solely as an additional deck gun against surface targets and is not employable as additional AA gun? I saw that the new 20mm gets manned whenever I select "man the deck gun" just as the 4inch gets manned and it appears to react automatically to the same commands I give for the main deck gun (fire at will, aim for waterline, etc.). Giving AA gun commands to the dual 20mm AA has no effect on the single deck mounted 20mm. The deck mounted 20mm also has slots for a crew of 4 just like the 4 inch deck gun, while the dual 20mm AA gun is manned by a crew of one. Is it supposed to be that way?

Finally, I can't see any way to take control of the new single 20mm deck gun. I can take control and manually fire the 4inch main deck gun or the dual 20mm AA gun, but I don't see a method to assume control of the single 20mm deck gun. Just wondering what I might be missing or don't understand.
you have a firm grasp of the obvious.
in order to bring your 20mm to bear on surface targets, the modders had to slave it to the deck gun and so you cannot control it. it was an accommodation to circumvent poor Ubi design.

you can use the dual-20's or the deck gun manually but not the AA gun that came with the deck gun.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 05:54 PM   #4642
propbeanie

KM has it. Similarly with the Narwhal Class boat with its two 6 inch guns SeniorCitizen. The game allows two deck guns, but only provided one camera position, which is what the player would look through in the 3D world. The AA guns have two cameras... Any gun in the game can be set to just about anything, so we built a 20mm deck gun, that is basically a clone of the 20mm AA gun, only we changed the default ammo, and named it a deck-gun instead of an AA gun. Unfortunately, ubisoft also did not provide for a dual-purpose gun on the player's boat in the game, so the AA guns will not shoot at a ship when under AI control, and the deck guns will not shoot at planes. However, if you watch any other ship in the game, all their guns shoot at all targets as soon as they come within range, just not on a player's boat. We left the deck gun crew at four, so as to not mess with the manning positions and really blow things up in the game... The gun positions are done differently in FotRSU than most other mods.

Old 05-26-22, 07:04 PM   #4643
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Superb Narwhal in FoTrS the team provides us with the best... a real narwhal...

Unlike TMO BH .... but BH has promised to use it so we'll see ...
but that of BH has a mod which allows to use AA against boats...

Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 08:22 PM   #4644
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Superb Narwhal in FoTrS the team provides us with the best... a real narwhal...

Unlike TMO BH .... but BH has promised to use it so we'll see ...
but that of BH has a mod which allows to use AA against boats...

This is the "Donation Narwhal" mod. Yes, its a beautiful mod overall. TMO has the "pseudo Narwhal" which was created some time back to fill the gap If I recall, it was included before the Donation Narwhal was released. FOTRS Team obtained permission to include it in the mod, I have not been able to. Donation Narwhal (as name implies is a Bonus mod player can download after donating to subsim). I've never promised to include it in TMO. The patch to make it work with TMO is terribly out of date for current TMO version and thus does not work. Also has some model issues need corrected, had a weird thing where when fire mod enabled, the sub exterior would catch on fire during depth charge attack and erode hull integrity 5-10 percent before fire burned out, so def needs upgrading, I made it work and played14 patrols with it before was killed by friendly fire, but its not "good enough" for release as of yet, its a project I will get around to at some point, still trying to iron out a few kinks with TMO Update V2.0.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-22, 09:22 PM   #4645
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Default Conflicting orders

12/23/41, South Docks, Corregidor, USS Seawolf

Ordered to transport SubAsiaticFleet personnel to Darwin

Upon pickup, received radio msg "all passengers on board ok to depart to Surabaya Java"

Home base symbol was Darwin, but we tried Surabaya anyway. Didn't work.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 07:12 AM   #4646
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
This is the "Donation Narwhal" mod. Yes, its a beautiful mod overall. TMO has the "pseudo Narwhal" which was created some time back to fill the gap If I recall, it was included before the Donation Narwhal was released. FOTRS Team obtained permission to include it in the mod, I have not been able to. Donation Narwhal (as name implies is a Bonus mod player can download after donating to subsim). I've never promised to include it in TMO. The patch to make it work with TMO is terribly out of date for current TMO version and thus does not work. Also has some model issues need corrected, had a weird thing where when fire mod enabled, the sub exterior would catch on fire during depth charge attack and erode hull integrity 5-10 percent before fire burned out, so def needs upgrading, I made it work and played14 patrols with it before was killed by friendly fire, but its not "good enough" for release as of yet, its a project I will get around to at some point, still trying to iron out a few kinks with TMO Update V2.0.
I thought I saw in a thread some time ago.. that you were interested in this narwhal mod... so I deduced that you would necessarily include it at one time or another.. to have more authenticity in your work...but I think I jumped to conclusions...so do as you wish...I included it myself in your work...knowing full well that it wouldn't work without it. adjustment... by the way I mounted it without its weapons at the start knowing the problems of these famous cannons... Now BH I know that you are busy with some adjustment on your mod so there is no rush.. as I have says FotrS has certain aspects that yours does not have... and yours has other aspects that the other does not have...!!
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 08:52 AM   #4647
SeniorCitizen
Army Goes Deep

Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
KM has it. Similarly with the Narwhal Class boat with its two 6 inch guns SeniorCitizen. The game allows two deck guns, but only provided one camera position, which is what the player would look through in the 3D world. The AA guns have two cameras... Any gun in the game can be set to just about anything, so we built a 20mm deck gun, that is basically a clone of the 20mm AA gun, only we changed the default ammo, and named it a deck-gun instead of an AA gun. Unfortunately, ubisoft also did not provide for a dual-purpose gun on the player's boat in the game, so the AA guns will not shoot at a ship when under AI control, and the deck guns will not shoot at planes. However, if you watch any other ship in the game, all their guns shoot at all targets as soon as they come within range, just not on a player's boat. We left the deck gun crew at four, so as to not mess with the manning positions and really blow things up in the game... The gun positions are done differently in FotRSU than most other mods.
Got it....thanks. Understand the constraints now. Just glad it was "performing as designed" and not something I did. With the 4 crew positions on that single 20mm gun, that is one well crewed little gun.
SeniorCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 10:10 AM   #4648
propbeanie

Fellers, this thread is for discussion concerning Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
12/23/41, South Docks, Corregidor, USS Seawolf

Ordered to transport SubAsiaticFleet personnel to Darwin

Upon pickup, received radio msg "all passengers on board ok to depart to Surabaya Java"

Home base symbol was Darwin, but we tried Surabaya anyway. Didn't work.
One of several oversights when we opened more ports in the game. I have since turned the orders generic, such that it doesn't matter what you assigned base is, the people picked-up go with you there. I am still looking for the other missions set-up like that. Quite a few of the boats were given those assignments. The one you got said both Surabaya and Darwin, which of course is confusing. Oversight on the modders part, and he has since been sent behind the shed for some wood chopping punishment with Helga. If the "orders" you get though, do not include an "Objective" with where to take the passengers, then there is no problem with where you go. In your case, the Objective basically is completed when you pick them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorCitizen View Post
Got it....thanks. Understand the constraints now. Just glad it was "performing as designed" and not something I did. With the 4 crew positions on that single 20mm gun, that is one well crewed little gun.
They should never run out of ammunition with that many gofers...

Old 05-27-22, 12:35 PM   #4649
Rock Storm
Watch

Downloads: 26

"Fellers, this thread is for discussion concerning Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate, please..."

Thats what i am hoping for, else imma out of this
Back...in Navy Blue. Hy Lads.
Was just busy saving the earth from an alien inveasion (x-com, long war 2).
New machine (Computer) going back to tha pacifics, and...no sound: No "Herr Kaleuns". Hmm...No sound...sourious mayhab.
On my side: Fresh install and stuff but...lets kick the japs finally out of the pond, and then the chinese...

Rock Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-22, 02:55 PM   #4650
propbeanie

There is a multitude of reasons to not have sound in the game, as well as in the mod. First is, which version of SH4 do you have? FotRSU requires SH4v1.5, aka: Gold Edition, or the older v1.x with the U-Boat Missions Add-On Pack, which is very difficult to find these days. It does not matter if you have a disk, or Steam, or UConnect, or Amazon, or whatever. It just has to have the German side available in it, not that you play the German side in Fall of the Rising Storm.

You also cannot install the game into the default "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." folder. Windows has incorporated all sorts of "protection" into its OS over the years. Since FotRSU uses JSGME to activate the mod, and neither SH4 nor JSGME are registered as proper Windows programs, and effort to alter the files in the folder will be rolled back to their previous stage, so you might end up with the picture files making it through, but you will not have any configuration changes make it. If this is you case, then you are best-off to uninstall the game, and then re-install it into a folder of your own making, such as "C:\Games\WhatEverName...", and Windows will let you activate mods with JSGME to your heart's content.

Another problem might be not emptying the Save folder for the game (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4...") before playing the modded game. The game runs off of the information in that Save folder, and will not overwrite old files with new ones after you activate a mod. If you empty the folder, the game will recreate those files, and then you have a fully modded version. For this reason, you also cannot use old Saved games from other versions of FotRSU, nor from other mods or Stock.

There could be many other reasons, and if you want more help, post back with where you have your game installed, as well as other details mentioned above. You can also browse the Support folder included in the mod for several pdf files on installation, activation, and other aspects of the game.