SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-23-22, 08:55 PM   #3676
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
This solar electric stuff sounds phantastic, and it is. Fantasy. There is no battery that can store as much as one needs, let alone how long it will be able to work in its life cycle. Four years, six if you're lucky?
We have calculated this to and fro, thing is it only will be worth the investion after 20-30 years – most probably not even then due to battery ageing, solar cell replacement and ageing electronics.
Invest 30,000 Euros to pay 100 Euros less/month does not look as if i would ever see some return. Maybe when i'll be 110 years old, but even then

So financially it does not make much sense now. Maybe later with better technology.
What about ecological gain? Even here the building of solar cells, electronics, batteries, transport, installation, maintenance, disposal/recycling; the overall cumulative energy balance is bad, much worse than using what we have.
Does not have much impact on world climate just because your exhaust is located at the horizon.

It fuels the economy of cours. And so cool to have a smartphone gadget that gives one the illusion of control
Being 71, I'm in the same 'return on investment' fix. I'll never see it but by sole heir will. The battery, approx 14K extra, is guaranteed 10 years and is necessary since the house experiences numerous power failures. It should last 25 years depending on total drainages. These are often due to convictied criminal corporation PG&E shutting down power lines in high winds to prevent further horrific fires. I just want sufficient power to run the AC, fridge and computer during the oft-daylong outages. That will constitute sufficient "off the gridness" for lil' ol me? We had considered the German Sonnen or the worthy Tesla of my neighbor-captain but are going with the 14K Enphase-Encharge Ensemble 10
Quote:
all-in-one AC-coupled storage system is reliable, smart, simple, and safe. It is comprised of three base Encharge 3T™ storage units, has a total usable energy capacity of 10.08kWh and twelve embedded grid-forming microinverters with 3.84kW power rating. Warranty > 70% capacity, up to 10 years or 4000 cycles
What, with fires within 8000 meters, earthquakes epicentering 500 NW yards from the house, that my phone-app gadget illusion-control will prevent my abode's diving below its crush depth!!?? https://www.ecodirect.com/Enphase-En...waAgqGEALw_wcB

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-23-22 at 09:18 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-22, 01:23 PM   #3677
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I do often wonder how you're doing, Vinny - I don't know how you can stay so cool amid all this mayhem
Old 07-24-22, 02:11 PM   #3678
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
I do often wonder how you're doing, Vinny - I don't know how you can stay so cool amid all this mayhem
I guess it is hot in Napa valley, fires, earthquakes .. but still a beautiful region to live

@Aktungbby
we are still thinking about what to do, but next thing is the roof and that will be expensive enough. Makes no sense to install anything on a bad roof .. maybe later and with improved technology.

Still, a battery with 4,5 kw? How long is this supposed to last when fully loaded, if you add all the consuming devices?
We thought about an emergency generator to be driven with fuel or LPG. It would be connected to the electric fuse panel, but with a switch either using electricity from the net, or from the generator.
They also come with ATS but then current not bei9ng used is being fed to the net, and for this it would be mandatory to have a special synchronizer to adapt to the net's phases.
It is able to generate 8000 Watts continuously and setting to lowest rpm when there is no major consumer. One 20l tank is good for up to 30 hours, so some jerry cans as backup, or propane gas.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 07:07 PM   #3679
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Happy anniversary!

Tadaaa! Today is our 42nd wedding anniversary! I remembered to get my bride a card...and we're off to our favorite Napa steakkhouse for dinner. We'll probably discuss our daughter's upcoming wedding next April!!? My inlaws, most of whom are divorced, didn't expect me to last this long!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 08-03-22, 01:29 AM   #3680
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon14

^ Wasn't »42« the answer on the meaning of life? Shall we congratulate, or just wish "all the best"?

Ok i am for congratulations to the Mrs and you!

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 08-03-22 at 03:46 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 11:18 AM   #3681
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Congratulations, the missus needs a medal as big as a frying pan

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 11:24 AM   #3682
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

The three firesticks have been updated to allow a further years free viewing.

Old 08-21-22, 12:14 PM   #3683
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Default The joys of getting a new desk.

Waiting on cable management pieces to arrive.
Old 08-21-22, 01:13 PM   #3684
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_417 View Post

Waiting on cable management pieces to arrive.
That's been my downfall for years

Old 08-23-22, 09:07 AM   #3685
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Been a busy month - just got back from the damp trouser clinic & my plumbing seems to be functioning again. It's been no fun at all. I suppose it'll be my arse next
Old 08-23-22, 11:38 AM   #3686
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Welcome to the club; After a member mentioned his own high PSA count a short while back, I was motivated to get a general blood test; and following an 5+ PSA count, have an appointment late in Sept for a scan. (Hurry up'n wait) Throwing in a recent 8hr. ER stint/scan due to an excruciating post-lasagna dinner diverticulitis attack ...as they say: "the plumbing goes first". errr....I'm sinking by the stern!??

Old 08-24-22, 01:25 PM   #3687
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Moira says this could've been the garlic, which it seems can aggravate diverticulitis

As for PSA levels, our GP doesn't get too bothered until this goes above 11. I had mine between 5 and 7 for a long time before any further investigations were scheduled
Old 08-24-22, 01:30 PM   #3688
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Spending moments of time to design single shot trays for the Evanix line of Air Guns in SolidWorks.
Those designs will be used to 3D print and sell them.
Old 08-30-22, 09:38 PM   #3689
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

cool Reality vs the cinema!

Having a lite shrimp and zucchini stir fry whilst watching th classic 1971 Andromeda Strain starring the recently (4/17/2022) deceased James Olson; in light of the now two year-old Covid pandemic...art meets reality!??...incl. following my own 2-week security stint in 2010 on all scenes from Contagion that were shot in San Francisco! Unlike current reality! the flicks always resolve these matters...in two hours?

Old 09-06-22, 12:47 AM   #3690
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Global warming; first hand

A miserably hot day today hitting 111⁰F!! Thoroughly enervating to any septuagenerian. Going out twice in the evern hotter car didn't help...till the AC kicks in. It's a balmy 89⁰ F. as I post this. (10:40 PM.) Tomorrow is forcast slightly cooler; only 106⁰F. The dwelling AC could muster no lower than 81⁰F against a normal thermostat setting setting of 78!