SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-29-11, 02:43 AM   #1
kapitan z.s.
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0
Default SH3 vs SH4 vs SH5

The only one I own and I just got it is sh5, so far i like it, but everyone screams how much better sh3 and sh4 are. I like the atlantic theatre better from a historical point of view. But i would also like to try the ship mod in some of the older sh, i hear so much about. Can anyone tell me the differences between the series? Pros and cons or just opinons. Thanks
kapitan z.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 04:27 AM   #2
igorlikespike
Helmsman

Downloads: 139
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapitan z.s. View Post
The only one I own and I just got it is sh5, so far i like it, but everyone screams how much better sh3 and sh4 are. I like the atlantic theatre better from a historical point of view. But i would also like to try the ship mod in some of the older sh, i hear so much about. Can anyone tell me the differences between the series? Pros and cons or just opinons. Thanks

Hi!
SH3 and SH4 are best played when using mods. For SH3 i reccomend using GWX 3.0 mod (significant expansion of warships, mercants and aircratf types than original SH3) and merchant mod (adds a LOT of mercantmen and fun). I cannot play SH5 because of computer, but checking the opinion of others I won't cnange my SH3 GWX combo for nothing! (i.e. in SH 5 I hear you can only use type VIIc but in SH3 you can use all main types of U boats, and there is a type XXIII mod also!. and the gameplay in SH5 end at the beginning of 1943, but in GWX you can play in 1944 and 1945 - try being a u-boat ace in these conditions (or just surviving ... ))
I do not want to badmouth SH5, it may be modded to be significantly better, but as you asked for opinion-here it is!

For SH4 I started using Trigger maru mod because the original game does not recapture the excellent interaction between the captain and the crew, i got so used to in SH3. Mod developer Ducimus really made a splendid work here. You get two modded us subs nahrwal and tench class, enemy AI is also significantly better, you even get enemy subs in the game. I only wish for a merchand expansion mod for SH4.

Hope it helps!
igorlikespike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 11:03 AM   #3
USS Drum
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 126

I recommend silent hunter 4 with Trigger Maru Overhaul SH5 will only let you play the VII,VIIB,VIIC,VIIC/41 and it has a lot of bugs but if you like to walk around a U-Boat get it. SH3 well It's good but the graphics looked age and the crew stare at you like they want to commit mutiny.
USS Drum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 11:23 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
..but everyone screams how much better sh3 and sh4 are.
Not everyone - just those who post in the SH3 and SH4 forums.

SH3: Because of almost seven years of intensive modding gives the best overall experience, so far. The graphics and AI mods number into the hundreds. SH3 Commander brings an experience to the game that no other version can come close to.

SH4: Basically a better SH3. It improves several functions, but unfortunately breaks a couple of others. It would outstrip SH3 easily if it had recieved the same attention from the modders.

SH5: A completely different kind of game. It improves a few things even more, but takes an odd direction where campaigning is concerned. May end up being the best of all, but at this point still lacks functions that make SH3 the best overall experience.

But I still sometimes play the eighteen-year-old Aces Of The Deep, so what do I know?
Old 12-29-11, 12:52 PM   #5
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

After Windows 98, I couldn't play Aces Of The Deep anymore. Actually miss the whole Aces series. Aces Of The Pacific was a great one! Was disappointed when they dropped the proposed RAF add-on for it.

Was able to get SH1 with expansion disks to work in DOS Box in XP, but the 64 bit version of Vista has been uncooperative.

I don't have SH5, but I have the other 2. Both games in stock suck. But modded with the supermods available for them, they're both fantastic to play!

GWX 3.0(?) for SH3

And for SH4 there is,

TMO 2.5, Trigger Maru Overhauled
RFB 2.0, Real Fleet Boat
GFO, Game Fixes Only
FOTRS, Fall Of The Rising Sun

So although SH4 didn't get the attention of SH3, there is a nice list of supermods to choose from, and some cool little mods that will work with them, but be careful when adding them.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 03:30 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
After Windows 98, I couldn't play Aces Of The Deep anymore. Actually miss the whole Aces series. Aces Of The Pacific was a great one! Was disappointed when they dropped the proposed RAF add-on for it.
I run Aces just fine with DosBox. My SH1 discs are buried in storage somewhere, so I'm without it for the time being.

Quote:
So although SH4 didn't get the attention of SH3, there is a nice list of supermods to choose from, and some cool little mods that will work with them, but be careful when adding them.

The Pacific side of SH4 is well covered. The U-boat side is mainly lacking the visual stuff - Kiel Canal bridges and locks and things like that. Nothing at all unless you have a need to see them, which I of course do.
Old 12-29-11, 04:17 PM   #7
kapitan z.s.
Watch

Did anyone do any sort of atlantic mod for sh4. Because i have seen you tube videos of the bismarck on sh4, and is the ship mod fun?
kapitan z.s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-11, 06:47 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

The 'U-Boat Missons' add-on which includes the purchase-only 1.5 patch is available as SH4 Gold. It comes with a limited campaign for 'monsun boats', Type IXs operating in the Pacific. This is upgraded by Ducimus' IXD2 mod.

Look in the SH4 Atlantic Mods forum for 'Operation Monsun', which is a complete Atlantic campaign for SH4 1.5. The complaints I made earlier were in reference to this mod, but it is actually quite good except for the graphics details.
Old 12-29-11, 11:11 PM   #9
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Quote:
is the ship mod fun?
Hell yeah!

Great for a bit of fun.

I downloaded (sorry, can't remember the author) the playable USS Iowa mod for SH4, heaps of laughs there

Took out two entire task forces on my own, Yamato 'n' all

Nice work whoever that was.

edit: It was: peabody, jmardlin (Uploaded by jmardlin)

Last edited by troopie; 12-29-11 at 11:51 PM.
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11, 06:56 AM   #10
JU_88
Silent Hunter

Well considering that SH3 and 4 cost next to nothing now, there is no reason not to pick them up, providing you have the time and disk space for them + mods.
However their ages are starting to show (visually) particularly 7 year old Sh3 - it isnt very pretty to look at after playing SHV but you do get the extra Uboat types and 43-45 campaign years.
If you want to play in PTO with the US fleet boats then Sh4 is pretty much essential.
JU_88 is offline   Reply With Quote