SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-14, 09:12 AM   #496
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain73 View Post
Hello! All Happy New Year!
I loved the waves in the SHO! Ships disappear from sight on the horizon! And it creates a sense that you're on a small boat in the open ocean!
You can create this in SH5?

Video of the SHO....

Hi Captain

Have a look att post #2933/ the Sobers Mega Mod thread

Might be what you're looking for.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...92374&page=196
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 12:51 PM   #497
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_2012 View Post
I got a simple question, I am going to migrate from 2.1 to 2.8.7, which wave mechanic do I need if I was using Dynamic Environment SH5 Waves (normal version) V2.1?
I guess you meant v 2.9; DynEnv 2.8.7 doesn't exist

As for your question, you have various alternatives:

- leaving stock wave settings unaltered.
- enabling one of the three 'Wave Mechanics' submods included with Dynamic Environment 2.9; they have not changed since v 2.1, but if you plan to use the 'Gale' version, I suggest you enabling instead the 'Gale (Improved)' version by Fifi, whose download link is available at the bottom of post #1.
- using 'sobers waves mod V27'

The 'Sobers Best Ever Tweaks' submod of DynEnv 2.9 also contains wave settings, but they are based on an older version of sobers wave mod.

None of the above mods alters DynEnv's core files, so you are pretty free to choose the wave mod which fits your needs better. Moreover, you can switch them any time, in bunker or while on patrol. Let us know which one you prefer

Quote:
Hello! All Happy New Year!
I loved the waves in the SHO! Ships disappear from sight on the horizon! And it creates a sense that you're on a small boat in the open ocean!
You can create this in SH5?

Video of the SHO....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
Hi Captain

Have a look att post #2933/ the Sobers Mega Mod thread

Might be what you're looking for.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...92374&page=196
sobers waves mod V27:
(post #1 updated with link to it, by the way)

Nice improvement indeed. Those are the high, long waves one would expect in high seas.
DynEnv's hurricane waves look totally unrealistic in comparison:

My one complaint about sober's wave mods in general is that imo his waves look too smooth, i.e. they lack the wavelets rippling the sea surface even on calm winds. This factor (sobers realistic contrast might also contribute though) leads to an undesired 'plastic wrap effect' especially noticeable at certaing angles and with sunny weather, which I haven't ever seen in reality. Here is a visual example of what I mean (sorry for the picture heavy reply, guys):

Compare the screenie above (by sober) with the next one by Fifi (DynEnv's Gale improved with zero wind speed):

Last edited by gap; 01-08-14 at 01:06 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 01:33 PM   #498
Captain73
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
My one complaint about sober's wave mods in general is that imo his waves look too smooth, i.e. they lack the wavelets rippling the sea surface even on calm winds. This factor (sobers realistic contrast might also contribute though) leads to an undesired 'plastic wrap effect' especially noticeable at certaing angles and with sunny weather, which I haven't ever seen in reality. Here is a visual example of what I mean (sorry for the picture heavy reply, guys):
P.S. In SHO I saw more realistic motion (mechanics) waves .... other foam .... submarine descends from the waves, and then rises!
Very realistic!
It is a pity that such waves we do not see in SH5!

I fully agree with the GAP!

Last edited by Captain73; 01-08-14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-08-14, 02:48 PM   #499
Raven_2012
Commander

Downloads: 129

So is the Gale version the old normal version? I am trying to swap out from old to new the comparable ones.

Because I don't remember the name of the three wave version from 2.1. So I don't know if Normal was the low end one and there were two more after that or Normal was the midrange one.

And yes I meant 2.9

Quote:
I guess you meant v 2.9; DynEnv 2.8.7 doesn't exist

As for your question, you have various alternatives:

- leaving stock wave settings unaltered.
- enabling one of the three 'Wave Mechanics' submods included with Dynamic Environment 2.9; they have not changed since v 2.1, but if you plan to use the 'Gale' version, I suggest you enabling instead the 'Gale (Improved)' version by Fifi, whose download link is available at the bottom of post #1.
- using 'sobers waves mod V27'

The 'Sobers Best Ever Tweaks' submod of DynEnv 2.9 also contains wave settings, but they are based on an older version of sobers wave mod.

None of the above mods alters DynEnv's core files, so you are pretty free to choose the wave mod which fits your needs better. Moreover, you can switch them any time, in bunker or while on patrol. Let us know which one you prefer

sobers waves mod V27:
(post #1 updated with link to it, by the way)

Nice improvement indeed. Those are the high, long waves one would expect in high seas.
DynEnv's hurricane waves look totally unrealistic in comparison:

Compare the screenie above (by sober) with the next one by Fifi (DynEnv's Gale improved with zero wind speed):

Raven_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 02:51 PM   #500
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
P.S. In SHO I saw more realistic motion (mechanics) waves .... other foam .... submarine descends from the waves, and then rises!
Very realistic!
Don't forget that SHO's physics model is likely much more simplified compared to SH5. Wave motion and vessels' pitch and roll are probably no more than pre-set visual effects in SHO (smoother and nicer, but lesser real), whereas, in SH5, they must be calculated frame by frame and they affect units' performances.

Quote:
It is a pity that such waves we do not see in SH5!
Well, there are some limitations connected with SH5 waves (small units taking damage or getting submerged by big waves, wind speed limited to a maximum of 15 m/s, AI guns still too accuarate in rough seas, etc.), but I also think that there is a lot of space for improvement achievable by us modders

For a start, there are some physical constants regarding wave propagation and bodie's motion in a fluid that we should study before we can model realistic waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_2012 View Post
So is the Gale version the old normal version? I am trying to swap out from old to new the comparable ones.
The old 'normal version' is now called 'breeze', the medium version is now 'gale' and hurricane is... hurricane
Old 01-08-14, 04:11 PM   #501
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Why doesn't someone else have a go at the waves . Its just notepad . Put the game in windows mode and have a smaller resolution size than your monitor . With TDW New Ui mod you can change weather using single missions . Change a parameter in Silent Hunter 5\data\Env\SeaParameters with notepad then save and look at it in the single mission (load a mission after changing a parameter to look at the change then quit the single mission) . Exit back to the main game menu . Change the parameter again and look at it in the single mission again . etc etc . Someone might have some fresh ideas about how the SeaParameters work together .
My last waves mod was done like that to make it harder to use the deck gun , spot things with scopes . In other words to actually make it difficult in rough weather , something of a challenge .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-14, 06:01 PM   #502
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
Why doesn't someone else have a go at the waves

Someone might have some fresh ideas about how the SeaParameters work together .
Yes, good question. Why?

I have on my HD a collection of articles on ocean waves (with formulas) and a simplified spreadsheet for calculating average wave height, length, period and speed as a function of wind speed. There are many more parameters than these in SH%, but the above could be a starting point for simulating realistic waves in game. Due to the poor state of my system I cannot embark myself in long testing sessions, but I would be glad to share my little knowledge-base on the subject.

Similarly, I am sure that te other SH5 modders who have previously dealed with SH waves (sober, Volodya, Fifi), would be happy to help withe their knowledge on wave parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sober View Post
My last waves mod was done like that to make it harder to use the deck gun , spot things with scopes . In other words to actually make it difficult in rough weather , something of a challenge .
I hope you didn't take my remarks in the wrong way, sober. My comments on your waves are only relative to the their visual aspect (or, more precisely, on the excessively glossy aspect of their surface). On the other hand, I think that their physical properties go in the right direction.

On a side note, I have just noticed that there are some wave parameter which might affect AI ship's gun aiming. I am talking about LargeWavesCoef, FarWavesScale and FarWavesStrength. Vdr1981 might be interested into this particular topic, as he is the one who noticed for the first time that close ships have a worst aim than far one.

Vecko, are you there?
Old 01-08-14, 06:06 PM   #503
Raven_2012
Commander

Downloads: 129

OK, thanks. I didn't realize normal was the low end wave mechanics.

Quote:
Don't forget that SHO's physics model is likely much more simplified compared to SH5. Wave motion and vessels' pitch and roll are probably no more than pre-set visual effects in SHO (smoother and nicer, but lesser real), whereas, in SH5, they must be calculated frame by frame and they affect units' performances.

Well, there are some limitations connected with SH5 waves (small units taking damage or getting submerged by big waves, wind speed limited to a maximum of 15 m/s, AI guns still too accuarate in rough seas, etc.), but I also think that there is a lot of space for improvement achievable by us modders

For a start, there are some physical constants regarding wave propagation and bodie's motion in a fluid that we should study before we can model realistic waves

The old 'normal version' is now called 'breeze', the medium version is now 'gale' and hurricane is... hurricane
Raven_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-14, 09:45 PM   #504
RushTheBus
Engineer

Downloads: 211

Gap, stupid question. Can you enable Breeze, Gale & Hurricane sub mods to encompass all wind conditions?
RushTheBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 07:31 PM   #505
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Quote:
Hi Gary,

If you were using Dynamic Environment v 2.1, you can enabled the new version any time
By that I take it you mean I wouldn't have to start a new career? And yes I do have the Dyn Env v2.1 mod installed right now. Just uninstall 2.1 and install 2.9 in the same lines where 2.1 was?

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 08:22 PM   #506
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushTheBus View Post
Gap, stupid question. Can you enable Breeze, Gale & Hurricane sub mods to encompass all wind conditions?
Hi RushTheBus, sorry for the late reply.

The naming of DynEnv's submods have probably misleaded you into thinking that they apply to different wind ranges, and that they can therefore be enabled together. I and stoianm could have actually called them "normal version", "very high waves version" and "high waves with abnormal frequency version". They all, especially the last two, are sort of experimental, as they try to address a limitation of the game engine (which limits the wind speed to max 15 m/s) by increasing dramatically wave strenght leawing wind speeds unaltered. The settings of the three of them are found in the same file, and enabling more than one would mean that only the one enabled last would be applied. On the other hand, their merging into one file, would require a delicate averaging/finetunig of parameters from different version applying to the same wind speeds, rather than a simple copy/paste process.

Waiting for a proper wave mod, I suggest you sticking to one of the following:

- breeze version (as included in DynEnv's package);
- gale version with Fifi's improvements (available as an external download at post #1);
- sobers wave mod (also available from post #1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
By that I take it you mean I wouldn't have to start a new career? And yes I do have the Dyn Env v2.1 mod installed right now. Just uninstall 2.1 and install 2.9 in the same lines where 2.1 was?
yep, v 2.9 is an optimization of v 2.1, but core files are mostly unchanged. More in general, not being saved in save games, environmental parameters can be edited during campaign with relative safety. This is on the pro side, the cons being that on game reload, weather is never the same as when you saved it
Old 03-02-14, 02:58 PM   #507
R1fl3M4n
Gunner

Downloads: 86

installed the mod, everything looks ok but underwater i see lots of white textures, what did i miss?!

LE: installed the critical update and everything is fine ! nice graphics ! nice mod! 10/10 !!!!

The Merchant season is open!
R1fl3M4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-14, 04:10 PM   #508
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1fl3M4n View Post
installed the mod, everything looks ok but underwater i see lots of white textures, what did i miss?!

LE: installed the critical update and everything is fine ! nice graphics ! nice mod! 10/10 !!!!

Since you are enjoying the mod so mutch, you might be pleased knowing that it was started as a solo project by a country mate of you. I take the occasion for praising (once more) our friend stoianm and all the subsim buddies who have contributed to it!
Old 03-02-14, 04:18 PM   #509
tonschk
Admiral

Downloads: 172

A Big Thank you to Stoianm

Quote:

Since you are enjoying the mod so mutch, you might be pleased knowing that it was started as a solo project by a country mate of you. I take the occasion for praising (once more) our friend stoianm and all the subsim buddies who have contributed to it!
Old 03-03-14, 10:47 AM   #510
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Stoianm - he is the man!
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate, dynamic environment, environment, environmental mod, fog, weather