SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-08, 04:17 PM   #661
Nauticalwolf
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 5

skwasjer,

Again thank you,

and in answer to your question, I am using version (beta 0.8.2) however: the xml and s3d.exe.config both say version = 1.0 and the s3d.exe says, assembly s3d { .ver 1:0:0:0 }

BTW again thank you

We're here to protect Democracy - not practice it!
Nauticalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 04:31 PM   #662
skwasjer
The Old Man

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 3

No problem

About the versions, yea, the exe actually has 3 different versions, with all different purposes. The file version is actually 0.8.2 but the assembly version is just 1.0.0.0. The CLR reports only the assembly version, not the file version so in these cases I can't see which version the user has (in which case I must ask). Anyway, better just forget about this. It's only meaningfull to me
skwasjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-08, 08:50 PM   #663
cheese123
Gunner

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hornet
Ok something weird happens whenever I edit a 3D model and import it, the model is placed below the water and invisible, I have tried to find out what I did wrong but have had no sucess. Can someone tell me my mistake?

Using Wings3D
I am having the same problem, no soultion found.
cheese123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 02:57 PM   #664
skwasjer
The Old Man

The problem is the MTL contains no materials, and also the OBJ files don't have any references to a material (using 'usemtl'). A model must always have a material assigned to every single face, or S3D can't import it.

The error message is not so meaningful but I will correct this in a new version.
Old 05-28-08, 03:27 PM   #665
Snaptrap
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0

A program like this should be stickied. It's very well done and complex enough to deserve high regard. Please sticky.
Snaptrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 09:02 AM   #666
skwasjer
The Old Man

Some work in progress, though no release is scheduled. I am going on vacation in two weeks, so no update at least until after I'm back.

- OFF support (bitmap font definition file), almost done with this. Allows you to make custom bitmap fonts (well, you make the actual bitmap in ie. Photoshop, you can define the rectangles in S3D though).
- Model viewer
- Add cut/copy/paste support for .dat (and related) files.
- Mesh animation import/export
- Visual zone editor for boxes and spheres (once model viewer is done)
- Menu.ini support is a BIG maybe...

These todo's most likely mark the end of the development cycle.

Here a screeny of OFF support (still a WIP too):

Old 06-19-08, 10:33 AM   #667
peabody
Admiral

Downloads: 126
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwasjer
Some work in progress, though no release is scheduled. I am going on vacation in two weeks, so no update at least until after I'm back.
If you take a laptop you could work on vactaion. (Just kidding of course.) Enjoy your vacation!! Amazing program I would never even consider trying modding without a tool like this, I just wouldn't understand it. Same as above 'Thank you' just doesn't say it all. OH, ya don't forget to bring me a TShirt from where ever you are going.

Enjoy and main thing RELAX !!!!

Peabody

System Spec: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, PentiumD Dual Core Presler 945 3.4Ghz, Gigabyte Geforce 7600GS, 2-1GB Corsair XMS2 800Mhz in Dual Channel, 2-WD 250 SATA 3Gb/s, Onboard Realtek HD 7.1 Audio, DVD ROM, DVD burner, Hiper 580 Watt Power supply, WinXP SP2.

peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-08, 03:49 PM   #668
skwasjer
The Old Man

I no longer have a laptop, just so I can't bring one with me anymore

As far as the mesh animations, I am working on an export/import function but again have trouble finding a suitable format. I had a format almost working (md3) until I ran into a couple of animations in the dat-file that exceeded some of the limits of said format (nr of vertices, iirc). I will probably still complete it though but with that limitation in mind some animations can't be exported and also complex high poly animations can't be imported. Not until I work on another format...

It's weird Max failed to export the mtl. Can it be that the material name has some odd characters in them? Something is out of place...

[edit] You can also omit the Max mtl export (disable 'Create material library') if you save it to the same file, and do specify to 'use' an existing mtl. As long as the S3D mtl is still there you are good to go (hopefully ).
Old 06-19-08, 04:38 PM   #669
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

mtl's can be hand edited.
I do it quite often.

Also, the animation sequences do not need UV mapping info.
They inhert those from the main object.

So any export should have the UV's for the master object
but none are needed for the differnet postional information.
Old 06-19-08, 04:52 PM   #670
skwasjer
The Old Man

The flags are possible. I've used them for testing purposes.

I am not sure if the characters were the problem. It's been close to 2 months ago since I worked on this so I don't remember exactly.
Old 06-27-08, 07:33 PM   #671
skwasjer
The Old Man

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

I have to admit right away, it's performance is horrible (mostly the interiors) and it eats a whole lot of memory right now (needs alot of improvements), and the grid is bugged, but I'm happy with the results so far. It will allow you to view all the models in one .dat, placed properly by their offset/rotations. You can toggle meshes on and off, have a fully functional movable camera and have different view modes (wireframe, vertices etc). There's still quite a few features I want to add at some point but I try to keep it simple for now, just to get it stable enough and with better performance...

This will make placement of those pesky nodes a whole lot easier...

Eta, patience...
Old 06-27-08, 07:44 PM   #672
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

skwasjer,

I hate you! I hang up my modders cap, and you come up with this bit of awesomeness!

I will not be tempted!
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/3...vincenteh3.jpg

Back! Back foul beast! Back creature of the night!
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 07:54 PM   #673
skwasjer
The Old Man

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Old 06-27-08, 08:19 PM   #674
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Jesus Skwasjer, that is cool. I do not have a clue what the heck it is and you can do with it but I'm betting there are quite a few who do. I'm certainly not a modder but it looks like a modders delight.
Old 06-27-08, 08:56 PM   #675
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

AVG, ill illustrate for you.

Lets say for example, your placing an entirely new object into the interior. Like.... alarm klaxons for instance.

- Hmmm, i need a starting point, lets take the coordinates of this object here, since i remember by memory its location in the conning tower. Think ill vary it a little bit so i can see it better.

-Save. start game. *tap fingers*. Select single mission *tap fingers*,

- Go to Conning tower. Start looking around. Damn where is it, i can't find it. Hmmm.. maybe its stuck inside something. Nope, not here... not there. Hmm maybe its only visible from one side. Nope not here, not there. Ahhh.. ill bet i know where it went.

- *run the camera into the wall and look on the other side of the CT wall.* Yup, there it is.

- Quit game, start up S3D., Let see know. I know X goes this way, and Z goes that way. Think ill try and position this thing down this axis first, Lets try ..... -1.4.. .

- Ahhh F**k, where'd it go!.. Oh there it is. Hmm -1.4 too much.

- Quit game, start up S3D.

- Hmm ok... lets try.. -1.2

- Ok... -1.2 too short, lets try -1.3

Rinse and repeat, for X axis, Z axis, Y axis, AND THEN.... you start messing with rotation. Which is a combination of axis.

If you could acutally visually see where your placing an object, an hour of guesswork could turn into a 2 minute task.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote