SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-20, 04:04 PM   #91
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214
Uploads: 0

Please, could tell me what is the font used in the name plate? I want to immortalize for the ages the commander of my honourable boat (me).

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 04:18 PM   #92
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: Font...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Please, could tell me what is the font used in the name plate? I want to immortalize for the ages the commander of my honourable boat (me).

Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
Calibri, best guess I believe..

I did a wipe out of the original lettering to begin with using the paintbrush & black to edit out them, being extremely careful to avoid the screws then went to the text option on the left side of the screen in freepaint, selected white for color & believe as I mentioned the font Calibri. Hope this helps... of course you could just change the font style until you find the right 1, if it is NOT indeed Calibri.

I strongly recommend the freepaint app/program... link provided:

https://www.getpaint.net

it's free to download & use and is extremely user friendly to boot. Did NOT take Me long at all, to figure out of using it to do My name plate up for My skipper.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 05-30-20 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Re: edit to add in link for app/program for .dds editing tool...
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 09:37 PM   #93
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Calibri, best guess I believe..

I did a wipe out of the original lettering to begin with using the paintbrush & black to edit out them, being extremely careful to avoid the screws then went to the text option on the left side of the screen in freepaint, selected white for color & believe as I mentioned the font Calibri. Hope this helps... of course you could just change the font style until you find the right 1, if it is NOT indeed Calibri.

I strongly recommend the freepaint app/program... link provided:

https://www.getpaint.net

it's free to download & use and is extremely user friendly to boot. Did NOT take Me long at all, to figure out of using it to do My name plate up for My skipper.

Many thanks! I'll try it.

Best regards

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 09:46 PM   #94
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Vickers,

This is just bloody amazing sir, great work. Something that has been sorely missing. Hopefully will have a full boat one day. Thank you again. Unfortunately, it seems to make my FOTRS unstable? CTD when near Pearl and when tried to start a career got it working in single mission then random ctd. Runs fine without.Sad because it is beautiful work and really adds to the immersion

Last edited by Bubblehead1980; 06-01-20 at 12:15 PM.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 03:58 PM   #95
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Vickers, Getting a lot of CTD with this enabled. FOTRS runs fine without them. Any ideas?
Old 06-03-20, 09:20 PM   #96
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Does anyone know how to edit the Captains nameplate?
If someone already described how to, my bad, I was too lazy to read through all of the comments.

A great mod you made here, vickers03

Hopefully, you can make the rest of the interior of the sub available!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-20, 09:59 PM   #97
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Does anyone know how to edit the Captains nameplate?
Check:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...3&postcount=87
and
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...0&postcount=92
Old 06-04-20, 01:33 AM   #98
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Quote:
Vickers, Getting a lot of CTD with this enabled. FOTRS runs fine without them. Any ideas?
i think you need the 4gb patch or LAA for this
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 09:55 AM   #99
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

What pixel size was the original captain's picture? I am trying to resize my image to fit the captains picture size. Or does it automatically resize it?

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 11:46 AM   #100
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
i think you need the 4gb patch or LAA for this

I did have LAA enabled. MY PC is not old but it is not new, 8 gb RAM , runs SH 4 smoothly overall but maybe LAA is not working or FOTRS with officers quarter is too much, wouldnt think so. Would you consider doing a TMO version? Would bring new immersion level to TMO.
Old 06-08-20, 12:26 PM   #101
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 705
Uploads: 37

Quote:
I did have LAA enabled. MY PC is not old but it is not new, 8 gb RAM , runs SH 4 smoothly overall but maybe LAA is not working or FOTRS with officers quarter is too much, wouldnt think so. Would you consider doing a TMO version? Would bring new immersion level to TMO.
there will be a TMO version in the future.
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 01:26 PM   #102
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
there will be a TMO version in the future.
Great to hear. Thanks for all your efforts.
Old 06-08-20, 05:52 PM   #103
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Questions, concerning LABEL_CPT ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
What pixel size was the original captain's picture? I am trying to resize my image to fit the captains picture size. Or does it automatically resize it?

I know I am quoting the beast here, but...

My question, also pertains to sizing, as well... but for Me it pertains to the LABEL_CPT .dds file.

Don't know how but.. on 1 of them, the 1 that is a brownish in color label for the skipper's quarters, it somehow jumped up a tad bit in size wise. The black 1 looks to be about the size it is in the mod folder.

I downloaded the mod, saved it to My secondary hard drive & transferred a copy of it over to the main drive.. after I unzipped it, of course...

Want to get it back to the correct size it should be, while retaining the editing for My skippers nom deguerre aka J. T. Mardigan, in this instance.

2nd thing also involving the same item.. Am skippering a Sargo class sub, and took a lil' walk about to that area & noticed a weird thing... all the labels such as battle phone, other crew compartments, are sporting the brownish plates... except for My skipper's area. For some odd reason, it is the black LABEL_CPT & despite knowing that .dds is edited with My Nom De Guerre of J. T. Mardigan, C.O., and it shows such on the .dds file in the mod folder in the MODS folder... it's black with the screws holding it in place... My moniker, is NOT showing up on it though.

Any ideas as to why.???

Know that in the downloaded & unzipped copy, that both LABEL_CPT.dds files are in the folder tex, LABEL_CPT being the black 1 & LABEL_CPT2 being the brownish colored 1. I have it that same way in the tex folder ( & yes, both are edited with My skipper's moniker of J. T. Mardigan, the only difference being the aforementioned size difference.. don't think that would result in this issue, I don't think.. unless from you saying it does... in that case, getting it resized appropriately...) in the MODS folder for activation via JSGME.

Any info on resolving these 2 issues, will be greatly appreciated.

Mad Mardigan

p.s.

Some oddity of surprise.. taking a day trip back through the download & unzipped copy & the complete transferred over copy to the MODS folder.. I found this item in there... Gato_CR_LM1_LightMap, 7zipped no less... in the whole shebang.

Am going to go out on a limb here & say that that should NOT be in the

\Fleetboat Interior-Officer's Quarters\Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.1_EN\Data\Textures\TNo rmal\tex folder... I hope... (no bloody idea why, but upon previewing all this.. TNormal, in the above copy/paste of the location, is divided as it is... go figure)

After doing a trip through the entire mod package, can safely say.. that that is the only oddball found...

M. M.

Old 06-09-20, 11:17 AM   #104
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Look in vickers03's original files as to their "size", for like the "LABEL_CPT.dds" is 256x128 pixels at 72 dpi in the dds file. The original text is about 18 pixels high. You need a "blank" label background, and text layer on top with a tranparency for the background, and Save it to something like PSD if in PhotoShop, or some other format that preserves the transparency, so that you have something that is not as compressed as dds, such that you can do future edits more easily... such as your current Captain dies on his 2nd patrol - as happens to me all to often... That way, you already have your "blank" ready, and all you have to do is edit the text layer, and then Save As dds with DXT version 5 interpolated transparency...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-20, 01:39 PM   #105
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Look in vickers03's original files as to their "size", for like the "LABEL_CPT.dds" is 256x128 pixels at 72 dpi in the dds file. The original text is about 18 pixels high. You need a "blank" label background, and text layer on top with a tranparency for the background, and Save it to something like PSD if in PhotoShop, or some other format that preserves the transparency, so that you have something that is not as compressed as dds, such that you can do future edits more easily... such as your current Captain dies on his 2nd patrol - as happens to me all to often... That way, you already have your "blank" ready, and all you have to do is edit the text layer, and then Save As dds with DXT version 5 interpolated transparency...
OK, took the liberty of copy/pasting what you said, into a read me .txt that I included into the interior mods folder.

Went & applied what you said, I believe into creating another set of name plates, and.. having done that as described.. am in the process of testing them out.

Know vickers is busy, but still holding out for an answer to the p.s. section of My original post about this subject.. about that zipped file, in the tex folder of the mod.. do I need to delete it, unzip the sucker or what.. exactly.

Am kind of the idea, that it probably just needs deleting.. but.. I have been known to be incorrect in My thought processes before & will inherently do so again.. hey, I'm human.. that's why there are erasers on pencils & some pens..

Any how... thanks for the info propbeanie ol' chap..

Mad Mardigan