SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-25-21, 05:10 PM   #196
Arlo
The Old Man

Downloads: 214
Uploads: 0

Well, it did make a difference. Sailed my Tambor around the west cape of Australia and CTD'd. Loaded up again and sailed almost to my destination (N. of P.I.), encountered fishing boats and sampans, sinking them with my deck gun. Encountered a split freighter and exchanged surface fire (taking some damage) in the process of closing in at periscope depth to sink it and ... CTD.

Well, that's better than before.

Now, about the officer's quarters. I was told that I had the wrong version of that, as well. I have version 1.39. I thought that was the latest. I downloaded the compatibility patch, as suggested but am holding off adding the 1.39 plus patch until I test FOTRSU some more.

Still ... progress is progress.
Old 04-25-21, 05:25 PM   #197
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlo View Post
Well, it did make a difference. Sailed my Tambor around the west cape of Australia and CTD'd. Loaded up again and sailed almost to my destination (N. of P.I.), encountered fishing boats and sampans, sinking them with my deck gun. Encountered a split freighter and exchanged surface fire (taking some damage) in the process of closing in at periscope depth to sink it and ... CTD.

Now, about the officer's quarters. I was told that I had the wrong version of that, as well. I have version 1.39. I thought that was the latest. I downloaded the compatibility patch, as suggested but am holding off adding the 1.39 plus patch until I test FOTRSU some more.

Ahoy, Arlo... Just out of curiosity, are you running the game, patched with a 4 GB patch, or using Large Address Aware or LAA, as some (like Myself, like to refer to it by.. ) - (which to Me, is the simplest method).

Either of these will assign your computer to assign the SH4.exe 4 GB's of RAM, rather than the nominal 1 or 2 GB's.

As it is, it sounds like you are running it without. Which can also contribute to CTD's, as well.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.

Old 04-25-21, 05:29 PM   #198
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:

As it is, v1.39, was the latest. It has now been updated to v1.46 as of.. roughly a week ago, maybe...

But... hey, if you want to hang back a bit.. is not an issue.. I know once you get started off on a career, it can be a... tad difficult, to want to give up progress you've made. I can well understand that. Been there, done that..

Not sure if you were aware that FotRS had progressed to where it is now, or not.

Any way, hope the other info I provided, helps.

M. M.

Old 04-26-21, 01:22 AM   #199
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 702
Uploads: 37

Quote:
I downloaded the compatibility patch, as suggested but am holding off adding the 1.39 plus patch until I test FOTRSU some more.
the compatibility patch was for FOTRSU 1.2, it's not needed for 1.39 or 1.46
vickers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 05:53 PM   #200
Arlo
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Ahoy, Arlo... Just out of curiosity, are you running the game, patched with a 4 GB patch, or using Large Address Aware or LAA, as some (like Myself, like to refer to it by.. ) - (which to Me, is the simplest method).

Either of these will assign your computer to assign the SH4.exe 4 GB's of RAM, rather than the nominal 1 or 2 GB's.

M. M.

Hey M.M.,

Where might I procure either the 4 GB patch or LAA? If either are in the SubSim downloads then I'm managing to miss them.

The reason I think you're dead on about that is that it seems like I reach a tipping point when applying mods. FOTRSU will cause CTDs at about one per 15 minutes or so. Adding the officer's quarters mod causes texture fails when I start or load a mission followed by immediate CTD.

I'm hoping you nailed it with your assessment. Thanks.

[edit] Found it under game patch (bandaids). Gonna give it a go (although I run Win 10).

[Edit 2] Can't seem to figure out a valid directory for this bad boy.

Last edited by Arlo; 04-26-21 at 06:04 PM.
Arlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-21, 09:06 PM   #201
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO

Quote:
Hey M.M.,

Where might I procure either the 4 GB patch or LAA? If either are in the SubSim downloads then I'm managing to miss them.

The reason I think you're dead on about that is that it seems like I reach a tipping point when applying mods. FOTRSU will cause CTDs at about one per 15 minutes or so. Adding the officer's quarters mod causes texture fails when I start or load a mission followed by immediate CTD.

I'm hoping you nailed it with your assessment. Thanks.

[edit] Found it under game patch (bandaids). Gonna give it a go (although I run Win 10).

[Edit 2] Can't seem to figure out a valid directory for this bad boy.
LAA is easy to find, just google for it, d/l & install.. (standard install is fine (C:\Program files) works.. after that, is just a simple 3 step process to run it:

1 After opening, do a search for your SH4.exe you need to tell it to allow for 4 GB's of RAM to be used by it.

2. Make sure the box is check marked to assign SH4.exe

3. Click ok or accept, to finalize the process... & Done.

Couldn't be any easier...

M. M.

Old 04-26-21, 10:53 PM   #202
Arlo
The Old Man

LAA did the trick! FOTRSU with officer's quarters runs without CTD so far. That and I've got my gramophone loaded with tons of music.
Old 04-27-21, 12:13 AM   #203
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

SHO Re: Congrats...

Quote:
LAA did the trick! FOTRSU with officer's quarters runs without CTD so far. That and I've got my gramophone loaded with tons of music.
Cool beans, glad you got it all sorted out & able to enjoy.

Now... go sink the enemy..

M. M.

Old 04-29-21, 07:21 AM   #204
vickers03
Grey Wolf

update: 29.4.21
- checked compatibility FOTRSU 1.46
- Salmon/Sargo navigation map fixed
- Sonar display was not clickable fixed
- SClass Torpedo Room changed to full loadout
(can be changed with extra mod to near empty)

Old 04-29-21, 11:11 AM   #205
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Very nice! I do have a couple of questions for you though vickers03:
1. "- Salmon/Sargo navigation map fixed" - I was not aware of an issue. What was it?
2. "- Sonar display was not clickable fixed" are you referring to the heading dial, where you click and the head spins to that heading? Would that have anything to do with what MM and mikesn9's issue with the sonar display not reflecting the head spinning, other than the digital read-out?
3. Most importantly, if we change the "2" conns on the Salmon, Sargo and Tambor, will that influence the main portion of your mod, and / or the other fixes for the map and sonar?
Thanks. Looks really good in the torp room! "All torpedoes and other appurtenances spit and polished, ready for inspection, SIR!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 11:56 AM   #206
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickers03 View Post
update: 29.4.21
- checked compatibility FOTRSU 1.46
- Salmon/Sargo navigation map fixed
- Sonar display was not clickable fixed
- SClass Torpedo Room changed to full loadout
(can be changed with extra mod to near empty)

Very nice !
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-21, 01:32 PM   #207
vickers03
Grey Wolf

Quote:
1. "- Salmon/Sargo navigation map fixed" - I was not aware of an issue. What was it?
just a missing texture channel on the map model so it looked much too dark
on the table.

Quote:
2. "- Sonar display was not clickable fixed" are you referring to the heading dial, where you click and the head spins to that heading?
yes.

Quote:
Would that have anything to do with what MM and mikesn9's issue with the sonar display not reflecting the head spinning
i don't think so. MM didn't have my mod activated at the time.

Quote:
3. Most importantly, if we change the "2" conns on the Salmon, Sargo and Tambor, will that influence the main portion of your mod, and / or the other fixes for the map and sonar?
i think not, they are only the external models
Old 04-29-21, 03:49 PM   #208
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Thanks for that. I am not certain of the issue with the sonar heads and the spinning... I'll check your new version, and compare to what v1.46 has, and if that does the trick, we will put credit where credit is due, and then send MM and mikesn9 the bill... eh?... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 07:06 AM   #209
mikesn9
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thanks for that. I am not certain of the issue with the sonar heads and the spinning... I'll check your new version, and compare to what v1.46 has, and if that does the trick, we will put credit where credit is due, and then send MM and mikesn9 the bill... eh?... lol

Bill? no problem.
"Check is in the mail"

I spent the cold war under water.
mikesn9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-21, 06:00 AM   #210
flaminus
Sparky

Downloads: 502
Uploads: 5

Salmon class initeror have a transparent sink.
flaminus is offline   Reply With Quote