SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-18-20, 05:13 AM   #781
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Demise of U.S.S. Sealion SS-195... reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Hello Mad Mardigan,

I think I have found the problem, the zon file seems to be setup incorrectly.
If your torps are set to explode under the hull, the damage model stops before the end of the hull, so the torps explode, and nothing would happen to the ship.
Please bare with us, as we try and fix it...

Just realized, some info I missed making known when I originally posted, the exploder was set for mag det, depth I had 1 fish set for was rough guess, 3.5' to 4', again rough guess because anything below 5' on the depth setter, is not graduated that I can see of. The 2nd was set to go under by 2'-3' feet below it...

Not sure if that will have any effect or not with the 1 I had set up for hitting the ship in the side, rather than going for a underbelly shot... the ship in question was drafted in the recog manual, as being 6'-6.5', as I recall.

Can cross check that, if need be... just not right now, as am headed off to grab some rack time, after I send this reply off.

I can check after I grab some navy mud, after surfacing my carcass from the rack.

As for when the fish got there, the 1 I set to impact the ship near the waterline or side of the ship, impacted/went off near the aft, just before the props area. The underbelly shot, went off, just after the funnels and just before the 1st anti air gun heading aft from there... rough guess... both explosions were very much clearly evident, throwing up fireball as well as what am guessing would be water plumes clawing for the skies.

As best as I know, those were clear cut dead on the $$$ & should have been by all rights, kill shots. Only reason I sent 2, was that I do have the dud factor selection in the options menu turned on. Know that with the Mk XIV's, they had serious issues during the war for a fair bit of time, before Bureau of Ordance got that snafu straightened out (18 months or more... ) so, to be safe... I sent 2...

Just started a new career & still do have the career that ended with my demise, still hot listed in the load menu at the main menu.
Old 04-18-20, 05:43 AM   #782
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Just realized, some info I missed making known when I originally posted, the exploder was set for mag det, depth I had 1 fish set for was rough guess, 3.5' to 4', again rough guess because anything below 5' on the depth setter, is not graduated that I can see of. The 2nd was set to go under by 2'-3' feet below it...

Not sure if that will have any effect or not with the 1 I had set up for hitting the ship in the side, rather than going for a underbelly shot... the ship in question was drafted in the recog manual, as being 6'-6.5', as I recall.

Can cross check that, if need be... just not right now, as am headed off to grab some rack time, after I send this reply off.

I can check after I grab some navy mud, after surfacing my carcass from the rack.

As for when the fish got there, the 1 I set to impact the ship near the waterline or side of the ship, impacted/went off near the aft, just before the props area. The underbelly shot, went off, just after the funnels and just before the 1st anti air gun heading aft from there... rough guess... both explosions were very much clearly evident, throwing up fireball as well as what am guessing would be water plumes clawing for the skies.

As best as I know, those were clear cut dead on the $$$ & should have been by all rights, kill shots. Only reason I sent 2, was that I do have the dud factor selection in the options menu turned on. Know that with the Mk XIV's, they had serious issues during the war for a fair bit of time, before Bureau of Ordance got that snafu straightened out (18 months or more... ) so, to be safe... I sent 2...

Just started a new career & still do have the career that ended with my demise, still hot listed in the load menu at the main menu.
Okay, I have adjusted the damage model within the .zon file..
I made a simple mission, with the newly edited files.
After two torpedo hits...

I will keep testing, to make sure, and make further adjustments if needed.
Old 04-18-20, 09:31 AM   #783
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Probably a dumb idea, but is it supposed to be possible to play a U-boat career with FotRS:UE installed?

I've been trying, but I keep getting crashes and graphical glitches. Wondering if I need to roll back to vanilla SH4:UBM.
The German side of FotRSU should run, though it is basically the Stock game, with the only changes to the files being compliant calls for the ships and planes. The Stock campaign on the German side has all sorts of issues with the way they built it, and you will see all sorts of issues around harbors and the like, with ships spawned into each other, docks and land masses. But it should run, if you have the mod activated correctly. Be sure and consult the Support folder in the mod for any install help. They are basically the same set of instructions that every mod is bound by due to Windows and UAC. As Jeff-Groves suggests though, Dark Waters is the way to go if you want a German career in SH4. Fifi (the mod author) took Operation Monsun and added to it.

Quote:
... (pb edits)... Ok, with regards to in game.. noticed that on island of Formosa, that on the southern end, roughly SW direction.. there is a city/port missing named Takao...

... I came across a merchant (Med. Modern Split merchant? or was that last Transport, don't have game up right now.. but any way...)

I engaged & sunk it, yet... did NOT have it show up in the log that I sank it... much less, have a ship sunk icon appear on the map showing where I sunk it, either...
Duly noted of the missing of Takao. It is one of several actually, of rather important ports missing in the game, in spite of over five updates to the game over the years. I do have Takao added-in though, but mostly as just a spot on the map for now. We'll have to add more traffic in the area later.

As for the ship and not getting a sunk icon nor credit for it (those go hand-in-hand), we almost need for you to try and identify that ship somehow. If you happen to have a Save from just before that. Load the Save, fast forward (TCx whatever), identify the ship (no need to sink it again), then exit without Saving, and let us know. If you cannot accomplish that, no big deal. We are going through the Roster again before we release what we have for an update - which is NOT backwards compatible, ~again~, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
April 12 1943, USS Wahoo, mission is to patrol Truck Lagoon for 5 days, shouldn't that be Truk Lagoon?.
- I will not lay claim to the mis-spelling, but I will lay claim to having forgotten to "fix" that...

Quote:
Just realized, some info I missed making known when I originally posted... (pb edits)... As best as I know, those were clear cut dead on the $$$ & should have been by all rights, kill shots...
We have found several ships over time with this sort of issue, and as s7rikeback mentions, we've had to re-link the zon files to the rest of the ship. Anyone else having difficulty sinking a ship should let us know. If you would have hit under the conn of that ship (zone 2), it probably would have sunk. Did you see "puff" smoke after your torps hit and you saw the big "explosions"? The "puffs" seem to be a Stock default response. One thing to remember about the game's "dud" chances, is that the torps can run over 10 foot deep from what they are set, even the impact runs, and as such, if you have a shallow ship, and the torp runs deep, say at 19 foot instead of 8, then you are on the limit of the damage zone of the torpedo explosion, and might not have realized the full potential of damage to the ship with that. The impact pistol should have been sufficient though, to take it out...

By the way folks - we do thank you for all of your observations. We have found issues that we were not aware of existing until you have pointed out your observantions of the mod in-action... Thanks! The mod is better for it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 04-18-20 at 09:36 AM. Reason: War ded yu larn to sprell boih?...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 11:14 AM   #784
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
By the way folks - we do thank you for all of your observations. We have found issues that we were not aware of existing until you have pointed out your observantions of the mod in-action... Thanks! The mod is better for it.
sorry to pile on, PB.
while patrolling near the Bonins in late 1944, i couldn't help but notice that there is a US Base on Iwo Jima...late in 1944. and sure enough, when i checked the Air Base file, there are two Air Bases (20 & 26) started on Iwo 12/1/44.
March 1945 would be more accurate.
Put it on the list of things-to-do.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 03:31 PM   #785
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The German side of FotRSU should run, though it is basically the Stock game, with the only changes to the files being compliant calls for the ships and planes. The Stock campaign on the German side has all sorts of issues with the way they built it, and you will see all sorts of issues around harbors and the like, with ships spawned into each other, docks and land masses. But it should run, if you have the mod activated correctly. Be sure and consult the Support folder in the mod for any install help. They are basically the same set of instructions that every mod is bound by due to Windows and UAC. As Jeff-Groves suggests though, Dark Waters is the way to go if you want a German career in SH4. Fifi (the mod author) took Operation Monsun and added to it.

Duly noted of the missing of Takao. It is one of several actually, of rather important ports missing in the game, in spite of over five updates to the game over the years. I do have Takao added-in though, but mostly as just a spot on the map for now. We'll have to add more traffic in the area later.

As for the ship and not getting a sunk icon nor credit for it (those go hand-in-hand), we almost need for you to try and identify that ship somehow. If you happen to have a Save from just before that. Load the Save, fast forward (TCx whatever), identify the ship (no need to sink it again), then exit without Saving, and let us know. If you cannot accomplish that, no big deal. We are going through the Roster again before we release what we have for an update - which is NOT backwards compatible, ~again~, unfortunately.

- I will not lay claim to the mis-spelling, but I will lay claim to having forgotten to "fix" that...

We have found several ships over time with this sort of issue, and as s7rikeback mentions, we've had to re-link the zon files to the rest of the ship. Anyone else having difficulty sinking a ship should let us know. If you would have hit under the conn of that ship (zone 2), it probably would have sunk. Did you see "puff" smoke after your torps hit and you saw the big "explosions"? The "puffs" seem to be a Stock default response. One thing to remember about the game's "dud" chances, is that the torps can run over 10 foot deep from what they are set, even the impact runs, and as such, if you have a shallow ship, and the torp runs deep, say at 19 foot instead of 8, then you are on the limit of the damage zone of the torpedo explosion, and might not have realized the full potential of damage to the ship with that. The impact pistol should have been sufficient though, to take it out...

Hey Propbeanie, no problem, glad to assist, even in a small manner. Major props to modders *tips my cap to ya'll*

I can see of reloading that dead career & recheck, do know that Medium, Modern & split were part of the ship ID, it was ironically the same ship type I sank just prior to completing the patrol the Kowloon aka Hong Kong area for 10 days. As for actually seeing the ship in question, no go there, but... do have the credit report of sinking the identical ship in the log book, so I can verify the ship... no worries there.

when I sank the twin, I made a funny observation of.. 'huh, deja vu.. didn't I already sink you already... *insert funny laugh here* ah well... no matter, I'll just sink you again.. *insert evil mad scientist cackle here*

Edit: no ship sunk icon/no record ship sunk ID: Ship, in question was, as follows: Medium Modern Split Freighter...

As for the lil' ship that refused to die... that bugger, was a Corvette Kanamura... End Edit

As for the lil' mighty kryptonian ship that did.. aka the corvette canamaru/canamara... aka the ship that refused to die... puff smoke, fireball, water plume.. the whole ball of wax, all in generally as best I know of, in order that I have seen from SH3 to 4 & even that 5 reject that Ubi shoved out the door prematurely... the 1 I set for impact though.. watched that 1 porpoised out of the water numerous times on its way to the ship before impacting into it in the area I described. Just that 1 alone, would have finished off a RN flower or Black Swan & that ship was way smaller than them 2. Of course, I know.. different torp's, but mechanics still the same principle of the after effects... fire, death, destruction = ship sunk...

Thanks for the recognition of helping, but modders are the ones doing the grunt work.. and again, for that... much thanks guys...

ps

Crazy notation, concerning the no sunk icon/record ship sunk in log book issue... ironic thing is, the Medium Modern Split Freighter I sank, prior to completing 'Patrol Kowloon aka Hong Kong 10 days' mission.. that ship showed an icon when I sank it & was recorded in the log book as a sink... yet, right after I completed the patrol 10 days mission aspect, I run across that same ship type, sink it but yet... no icon & no log book record of doing so... weird, huh... same ship type, different end results...

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 04-18-20 at 05:21 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-20, 06:18 PM   #786
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I remember reading somewhere that there is a small chance of a friendly ship attack, does this go for planes as well?.
Old 04-19-20, 11:49 AM   #787
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
sorry to pile on, PB.
while patrolling near the Bonins in late 1944, i couldn't help but notice that there is a US Base on Iwo Jima...late in 1944. and sure enough, when i checked the Air Base file, there are two Air Bases (20 & 26) started on Iwo 12/1/44.
March 1945 would be more accurate.
Put it on the list of things-to-do.
Corrected. That's another one of those "I do not claim responsibility for making it so, but I do claim responsibility for not having seen it and fixed it earlier..." sigh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I remember reading somewhere that there is a small chance of a friendly ship attack, does this go for planes as well?.
Yes, you fone home, and they will come if available:

Part 2 of this will be published whenever YouTube decides to finish it... It has evidence as to the main issue we have been experiencing, and "yes", I did manage to get a CTD... I think we found the true culprit. Maybe. What we have done previously has made the game with the mod much more efficient, and initial game loadings are now half of what they were, while missions loading is greatly reduced. The Museum now takes just over a minute and a half to load, all thanks to s7rikeback and Jeff-Groves in their tireless pursuit of all things "fluff" in the files...

Old 04-19-20, 02:31 PM   #788
propbeanie

OK, here is Part 2 of the above video. In it, notice that radar picks-up an airplane on the fringe of its capability in the lower-right corner of the screen. The plane is traveling practically straight north, and seems to fly "under" the island's mountain. I try to chase after it, but never do find it. A bit later, it "reports" on SD radar again, to the north of the island, behind our sub, and then flies off the screen. A little later, it will report on SD again, flying south, and further to the east. This time though, I did get a "Radar contact, bearing..." message from the crew, and the plane then crashed into the mountain on the island. I tried to find the plane, but I was not able to. A while later, you see a "Rescue_Raft" reporting on land on the SD, south of the crash site... there is no way that was a visual report, it being on the other side of a ridge, and there is no "vocalization" of it being ID'd. Using the external camera, I could not find the raft either. But notice that it is spawned on land. I searched both above and below the scenery, multiple times. A while even-later, and there is the report of a "Radar contact, bearing", and I watch it fly into the mountain of the other island. Using the external camera, I go over there, and find the plane right away, hanging on the side of the "invisible" mountain, which of course, has not rendered because it is out of line-of-sight of the submarine's location. But notice how the "survivor" fell through to the water? This is under the "terrain". Notice also, on the NavMap that the game does not report a "Survivor", though we saw it there... Now, when I went to exit the scenario, the game crashed immediately after the request. No Main menu, just CTD. I also could not load a Save of the scenario... My guess is that the game is getting messed-up by our use of a modder-built Rescue_Raft, which if this is the case, is very disappointing. More testing is being conducted before we release the update, after maybe having removed said Rescue_Raft and all references to it in the Campaign (about 15 missions with multiple uses of the asset)... sigh...

Old 04-21-20, 09:53 AM   #789
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Zelda View Post
I'd like to have the Nearest Visual Contact read Yards not Feet.
Is this still not possible?

If not, would it be possible to change the range scale on the deck gun, and map tools, to read feet instead of yards? Or make it user's preference which is displayed?

For the deck gun, I understand the reticle art is probably set in stone/too much work to change. Maybe you could add an onscreen display showing both yards AND feet?

Thanks!
Old 04-21-20, 09:56 AM   #790
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56

Holy cow, I didn't realize you guys had included combined arms operations in this mod. That's awesome!

Right now I am still in the part of the war where the US is getting pushed back east, so there's no air support available where I'm patrolling.
Old 04-21-20, 11:14 AM   #791
propbeanie

Quote:
Is this still not possible?

If not, would it be possible to change the range scale on the deck gun, and map tools, to read feet instead of yards? Or make it user's preference which is displayed?

For the deck gun, I understand the reticle art is probably set in stone/too much work to change. Maybe you could add an onscreen display showing both yards AND feet?

Thanks!
Quote:
Holy cow, I didn't realize you guys had included combined arms operations in this mod. That's awesome!

Right now I am still in the part of the war where the US is getting pushed back east, so there's no air support available where I'm patrolling.
The game displays what it displays, how it wants to. There is a global choice between metric and imperial. That's it. As Nisgeis found out when doing his "3D TDC and Radar Range Unit" mod, the radar is meters no matter which "global" setting you choose. For two drawn scale lines to represent a given distance, you would need a separate drawing for each unit of measure. If you instead have the line represent a percentage of a scale, that makes things a bit easier for the dev, but more difficult for the player to deal with. For the most part, it is what it is. Just know that a nautical mile is 2025 yards, not the 1760 of a land mile. If it takes an hour to go one nautical mile, you've traveled at one knot. A nautical mile is 1.85 kilometers, or 1852 meters...

As to "combined operations", the game has always had that. It's just that the Stock game didn't "advance" the front lines the way the mods do. So long as there are resources available, you will get support from both Sea and Air. That's not to say they are the smartest bunch that come try to help you out...

Old 04-21-20, 12:20 PM   #792
wzartz
Watch

Downloads: 37

Mr.propbeanie
i think i've encountered the similiar ctd like this gentleman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
.....Off went two M14s at about 3500 yds. I tracked the torpedoes progress and just as the first one hit, the game abruptly went to desktop, CTD. Repeated with same result 3 times!.....
I hope my English can explain what's the problem :v

first thing:
I'm using steam version of sh4
installed it on the D:\Games\Steamapps\... (not on the c:\program files)
using current mod version 1.004.a

ok.. it was June 2 1942 I've encountered a task force group not so near midway it was consist of CL nagara, CV Akagi, CV Kaga, BB Kongo, and others that i don't identified(i identified them with ID ship button so it were all true :v)
ok first two attempt I targeted akagi at the back, magnetic, 22ish depth, set.. torpedoo loos! first one gonna hit.. it both ctd.. first two attempt i started felt suspicious because I got two ctd at the same situation.

third attempt loaded saved again now i targeted Kongo because i didn't want to wait for akagi at the back.. same set with magnetic... first torpedo got ctd again.

fourth attempt still Kongo now set to impact deep around 7feets.. ctd again

ok i gave up >.<

i still curious about that task group so i checked in mission editor opened BattleOfMidway.mis, i thought i met with JP Nagumo's Group because there's nagara,akagi,kaga,... but no Kongo 0_o

did i get into different dimension so the battle of midway was somewhat different

here's some pic that maybe help Mr.propbeanie to fix the ctd.. yeah ctd it's not just a job xd

https://imgur.com/a/1jJah6u

i don't know whats the problem, i just want to sink those fox sister man

Last edited by wzartz; 04-21-20 at 12:36 PM.
wzartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 02:46 PM   #793
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 433
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wzartz View Post
Mr.propbeanie
i think i've encountered the similiar ctd like this gentleman

I hope my English can explain what's the problem :v

first thing:
I'm using steam version of sh4
installed it on the D:\Games\Steamapps\... (not on the c:\program files)
using current mod version 1.004.a

ok.. it was June 2 1942 I've encountered a task force group not so near midway it was consist of CL nagara, CV Akagi, CV Kaga, BB Kongo, and others that i don't identified(i identified them with ID ship button so it were all true :v)
ok first two attempt I targeted akagi at the back, magnetic, 22ish depth, set.. torpedoo loos! first one gonna hit.. it both ctd.. first two attempt i started felt suspicious because I got two ctd at the same situation.
ok, mr. wzartz, i went back in the archive and found my posts when i encountered the CTD-on-torpedo-impact. the fix was a reinstall of SH4 and FOTRSU. that would be a clean install, including the Savefolders in your Documents folder.
sorry, but that is what fixed it when i had the same issue.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthr...26270&page=358

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 03:12 PM   #794
wzartz
Watch

Downloads: 37

welp.. a fresh car from the factory is more reliable than a second hand car

i think thats my fault for not doing fresh install i thought just switching through JSGME will do all the job, sorry mr.propbeanie for the troubles

and thnx Mr.KaleunMarco for the suggestion i will do a clean install, and i will keep in touch in this forum if something still goes wrong

well at least now i know where to intercept those CVs for the future hehe
wzartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-20, 04:20 PM   #795
propbeanie

"C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4" is oftentimes the "key". Be sure that after activating any new mod, that you delete the contents of that SH4 save folder. If you use MultiSH4, delete the one you made there. If you have Windows managing the Documents folder on another drive, delete it from there. Just be sure and delete the old Save folder, else you have a mix of everything that came before, and it is usually not FotRSU that you see...

The 2nd most important thing, and again, with just about any mod (some more than others), is to correctly activate LAA or some other memory utility on the sh4.exe file. Correctly.

There are issues in the mod, and s7rikeback found a few more today, but even if we do our absolute best, the mod is still the product of humans, as is the game, so "subject to issues", to say the least. But don't sabotage yourself further by not activating the mod correctly.