SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-19, 12:51 PM   #16
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Ashikaga. Turning off one of the engines. I see you can on the HUD. Is that modeled or just for show? Because I would start if so!
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-19, 01:38 PM   #17
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 452
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanko6 View Post
Ashikaga. Turning off one of the engines. I see you can on the HUD. Is that modeled or just for show? Because I would start if so!
Yes in TWOS you can run only one propeller if needed
Fifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 03:09 AM   #18
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Not just for show! Actually saves a lot of fuel even at flank speed on long distances! Though make sure that when submerged and you need hard evasive action you have them both operating!

By the way, when ordering periscope depth, do you also stand behind the ladder at the device with the schußwinkel placque? I do, saves crew moving through youbwhen they come down. No mod to have crew back away when you are near them or want to walk past them afaik.

Ah well... The only way is through. Hehehe.

Last edited by Ashikaga; 02-09-19 at 03:21 AM.
Ashikaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 02:36 PM   #19
bstanko6
Admiral

Ashikaga... haha no I stand either by the Tieffenmesser gauge to watch the boat reach it’s depth or next to the fore hatch next to Emil, to watch the crew at work. I need to be supervising the diving operation. When I surface I stand between the attack map (not used while at 100% realism) and the attack periscope housing to allow Dieter and his boys room to go on watch. If I am surfacing after a long time submerged or if I believe a threat may be near, I am in the conning tower awaiting to be first on bridge to look for immediate threats!
Old 02-10-19, 03:29 PM   #20
Ashikaga
Commodore

Downloads: 31

Haha cool!

Another thing I at times do when playing realtime is sync my in-game timepiece with real-world time. that is also quite handy when you need the alarm clock in real life.
Old 02-10-19, 03:43 PM   #21
bstanko6
Admiral

I do that too haha!
Old 02-14-19, 05:59 PM   #22
bstanko6
Admiral

BRIDGE OPERATIONS

The bridge is not merely a place to view nice harbours, but to assess a tactical picture.

When I operate on the bridge, I have several responsibilities as follows:

-Departure. When departing a harbor, even when using a harbour pilot, I am surveying my surroundings. I never use TC in harbour, and ready to take control over from the pilot in case of emergency. The watch crew has one job... to seek out immediate threats. So while they search their sectors, I am searching merchant shipping we pass by, for suspicious cargo, or people. Spys are everywhere.

-In Transit. While in transit and I am on bridge, I scan the horizon as well as the clouds. I have had enemy air pass over without TC dropping to 1! If I have orders to give, I go through Dieter almost exclusively. He is my 2WO and deserves that respect. All orders to Chief, Navigator, and Radioman go through him.

-Deckgun. I try my hardest to only allow the deck crew to man this weapon. The commanders place is to be at the tower to observe shot placements. This also allows me to keep the tactical picture around me maintained, as the tower blocks your view of the stern when on deck near the deckgun.

-Marking. While on the bridge, it is a good idea to mark significant features on the navigation map, such as mines you spot in the water, enemy coastal points of interest, or even buoys that mark entry points into sounds and coves like Scapa Flow.

I try not to use TC while on bridge. If a plane comes out of nowhere, you still have to get off bridge before you can dive. I suggest you do not go onto the bridge unless necessary, but while you are on the bridge, be of good use and do proper watch standing.

Watch standing was a serious post. The transit to and from a patrol zone can be boring, but it can present threats and concerns your watch crew are not aware of.

Last edited by bstanko6; 03-07-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 03:31 PM   #23
bstanko6
Admiral

EXTREME TC

I just spoke with someone about this, and if you are not a true subsimmer, then disregard.

This is a method of game play only the true virtual sailor could manage.

Extreme TC is a method where you play in real time, but leap frog, as time passes when you are not playing. I will explain:

There are 2 ways.

Method 1)
Play the game in real time as of today's date.

So I am writing this article on February 19 2019. I begin a game of SH5 in the beginning which I believe starts in August of 39'.

I will TC up to Feb 19 40' at whatever time of day it is in real life, and then not TC any more. I will play TC1 until I save my game and end it.

Then say 24 hours of real time go by that I do not play.

I start my game, and I can now TC up to 24 hours and catch up to the date, and time of day.

Method 2)
Same thing as above, but instead of TC up to real life today's date, grab a digital watch, set it to the in game date, or write the in game date and time down on paper if you are lame!

Time goes by when not playing...

I call this a “Time Bank”. Every second you don’t play, adds to your bank. The longer you don’t play, the more time you get.

Then, using your Time Bank, TC up to the watch date and time, and have fun.

This is an extremely slower way to play, but it has benefits!

It really makes you think about your decisions before acting on them. With the regular game, and using TC, we care less about what we do in game, because we just TC everywhere and deal with "scenarios" as they befall us.

But with this method, we invest our actual time into it, and the game becomes more a campaign, than a game. All the boring in game TC1 hours we invest become more exciting when that ship finally comes into our view!

Diving to perform hydrophone searches will become interesting moments instead of necessary evils.

Plus, you will find yourself using smaller TC to catch up! And this is good for the game weather changes and campaign progressions.

IN PORT
Also, to really drive home the TC method. When you return to port, and get your new orders... Start your game, and while in the pen on the bridge, record your new date. Save your game without leaving the pen, turn off your game, and go on leave. Do not start this game until that date! Talk about serious immersive gameplay! This is great and allows me to catch up with other games, and my family LOL!

CONSOLATION PRIZE
If I lose my boat playing this method. I use siletotto cheat and advance to the next campaign. It’s a gift for playing this way, and it allows me to move up in the game, without feeling bad about using the cheat.

Give it a try! Tell me how you like it!

Last edited by bstanko6; 02-24-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 01:38 AM   #24
bstanko6
Admiral

ALL PROPER U-BOAT NUMBERS

This is a website that gives you all the actual commissioned U-Boat numbers for their type. Just select type 7A, B, C, and look to see what numbers are available for your type boat.

https://www.uboat.net/types/
Old 02-21-19, 04:13 AM   #25
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Übung ist das halbe Leben:

If you are playing TWOS, you can change crew reaction time for crash dive command with OFEV. Set it for longer than default at first (you have a green crew after all) and perform regular crash dive drills. After a number of exercises, shorten reaction time by a bit, but only if you keep regular drills. Add some time after every port leave - the crew needs to get back in form!
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-19, 05:03 AM   #26
bstanko6
Admiral

@kapuhy...

Nice addition to this thread friend. I did not think about that!
Old 02-22-19, 01:05 AM   #27
bstanko6
Admiral

MERCHANTS ABILITY TO SPOT YOUR PERISCOPE

Yes, I do believe they are a little too good at the beginning of the war. Easy fix. Go to your radio messages. There is a down pointing triangle. Press that, and you will see your radio messages options. Also, you will see a number 4000 which represents how far away a merchant can spot your scope. Change that number to your needs. You can also change this number in the options selector.

If you are a true subsimmer, you have to be fair:
1939-1940 you can set this to about 2000m. This is more realistic as the war begins.

1941 to beyond, it should be set to 4000m and no more. 4000m was a standard for training in Reich academies that periscope discipline would begin.

You should still practice periscope discipline at 4000m regardless the year.

Last edited by bstanko6; 02-22-19 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 11:23 AM   #28
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

Icon14

I’m always in full support of threads like this! Shameless plug for my methods in my signature, written In the same spirit as this – the pursuit of realism!

Good work on this thread!

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-19, 12:58 PM   #29
bstanko6
Admiral

@derstosstrup...
Thanks friend! To all who visit this thread, I encourage you to leave your realism tips, tricks, and hints!

These are just ways I play the game. I'm always looking for more ways!
Old 02-24-19, 01:30 PM   #30
bstanko6
Admiral

KEEPING A REAL SHIP JOURNAL

Ok, now I am revealing to you all the nerd I am. I keep a physical log next to me. I mark extreme events, and points of interest. I then add these to the in-game ship log later.

Keeping this log has a benefit:
It adds the element of commitment in my actions. I'm physically writing down what I intend to do, then I do it. It adds immersion, and a time stamp for later review. Even if you just use a physical log just for special missions, you will enjoy reading it over again.

Things I add:
Enigma messages
Contact reports
Special radio reports
Mine locations
Intentions to attack shipping
Drills
Equipment checks
Weather reports
Extreme circumstances like crash dives.