SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-31-09, 10:02 PM   #166
theschell
Seaman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Daz3d studio is simply a rendering engine... i bought the skeleton set-up tools pack from daz studios to go with it... that allowed me to rig models once i had them done... i use daz's Hexagon modelling program to actually construct the models... if you can get that... there are a whole series of tutorials on the daz studio website for basics... for both daz3d and hexagon (their modelling app) also... renderosity has some good tutorials and a whole forum area just dedicated to hexagon and another for daz...
http://www.renderosity.com/ you'll have to join (free membership)
http://www.daz3d.com again free membership... check the community and support areas for advice and tutorials...
theschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 10:02 PM   #167
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Several variants of the split superstructure freighter:

iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-09, 10:03 PM   #168
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theschell View Post
Daz3d studio is simply a rendering engine... i bought the skeleton set-up tools pack from daz studios to go with it... that allowed me to rig models once i had them done... i use daz's Hexagon modelling program to actually construct the models... if you can get that... there are a whole series of tutorials on the daz studio website for basics... for both daz3d and hexagon (their modelling app) also... renderosity has some good tutorials and a whole forum area just dedicated to hexagon and another for daz...
http://www.renderosity.com/ you'll have to join (free membership)
http://www.daz3d.com again free membership... check the community and support areas for advice and tutorials...
Thanks for the tip; I will try loading yout parts into wings3d for now.
Old 10-31-09, 10:05 PM   #169
theschell
Seaman

very nice work on the freighters...

oh... i forgot to mention.. i said about daz because you can open my models and then export the model in different formats... incase the format for my items is the prob... Hexagon is their actual moddelling app... it's a fairly easy one to use... very intuitive...
Old 10-31-09, 10:09 PM   #170
theschell
Seaman

there is a way to do some basic modelling in daz itself... but it's all done with basic primitives... which you can then save out... but it's very basic... and you would have a hard time doing anything truely decent...

I'm glad the parts came through ok... i hope they will help...
Old 11-01-09, 02:48 AM   #171
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18
Default Luigi Rizzo - Affondamento della corazzata "Santo Stefano"

real life movie of the sinking of the Cruiser "Santo Stefano"

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 11:17 AM   #172
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Several variants of the split superstructure freighter:
Oh, great a good chance to test my Kaleun's eye

Here's my estimate: 4000 GRT, 90-100 metres long, 20 metres mast

Am I very far off?
Old 11-02-09, 08:18 AM   #173
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Oh, great a good chance to test my Kaleun's eye

Here's my estimate: 4000 GRT, 90-100 metres long, 20 metres mast

Am I very far off?
Fairly accurate but I meant for the GRT to be lower. Maybe the hull should be narrower & less deep.

theschell, I managed to open some of your simpler objects but the larger ones keep crashing wings3d. I will try Hexagon & some other apps to see if I can learn them.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-09, 11:24 AM   #174
theschell
Seaman

Hexagon is probably the easiest to learn... and is the only modelling app i know how to use... i found wings and blender to be confusing and hard to understand... lol... i'm not great at this 3d modelling thing... also... there's a huge wealth of tutorials and forums for help with hexagon... so it was easy to find help with it...

Sorry my models parts aren't working out as we'd hoped... that kinda sucks...
Old 11-02-09, 11:31 AM   #175
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Fairly accurate but I meant for the GRT to be lower. Maybe the hull should be narrower & less deep.
The cranes are double, each side leaning over a cargo bay, of which there are four. Although those cargo bays are visibly shorter than on a regular ship, the hull shape is more rounded, and I was inclined to estimate each one at 1000 GRT (Since the overall size is already meant for including the total weigth of the ship, i-e- machinery, superstructure, etc.). But I also considered that the cargo bays could be estimated as only two larger ones instead of 4 smaller. In that case the size of those bays would be around 1250-1500 GRT, leaving the ship somewhere between 2500 and 3000 GRT. Not something that would have an effect on its length or mast heigth, but of course the tonnage varies sensibly

Therefore, in my opinion this ship's hull is closer to 4000 than to 2500 tons, but hey, don't take my words for truth because I use the same method as the real Kaleuns did, and those overestimated wildly the size of their targets (Works great for estimates of length and heigth for speed and distancem though)
Old 11-02-09, 12:46 PM   #176
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Wow! I missed a lot in this thread. Go guys, go! I can't wait to burn more of my precious hard drive space for a separate installation of the Wolves of the Kaiser mod.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-09, 10:32 PM   #177
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

I just noticed that the European coastline is VERY poorly modeled in certain areas, such as near the Channel and several French ports.

NOT good, seeing that most of the action will take place in this area. Hopefully it's an issue with mod conflicts & not an unresolved bug. It's very frustrating to come close to land and see buildings floating in midair, mountains split in half, and other glitches.
Old 11-03-09, 09:42 AM   #178
WalterJConklin
Mate

Downloads: 58
Default Re:

Does SH4 support the importation and use of Digital elevation model (DEM) for rendering the terrain?

Sincerely,
Walter
WalterJConklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-09, 04:17 PM   #179
Turbografx
Old Stormalong

Downloads: 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I just noticed that the European coastline is VERY poorly modeled in certain areas, such as near the Channel and several French ports.

NOT good, seeing that most of the action will take place in this area. Hopefully it's an issue with mod conflicts & not an unresolved bug. It's very frustrating to come close to land and see buildings floating in midair, mountains split in half, and other glitches.
Maybe someone from one of the Atlantic theater mods might be able to help.
Turbografx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 02:05 PM   #180
theschell
Seaman

Hey everyone... just dropping in to see how things are progressing... haven't seen or heard anything in a while...