SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-17, 04:24 PM   #1231
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

I am sure have encountered this in your research for this mod. Around what dates did IJN subs get radar? Which type(s) did they use? I am adding radar to AI Japanese sub(s) for RSRD/TMO.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 07:12 PM   #1232
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

We haven't gotten around to limiting anything's dates of availability just yet, but I'm pretty sure we've something here that might be useful. I do know that they got their radar after the first-line DD, and at about the same time as the 2nd-line DD, so starting in mid 44 probably, but I'll look and see. That might have only been new construction getting it in 44... The "leadership" of the IJN thought that the eyesight of their sailors was better than radar, and didn't want to be bothered with technology. Besides they had better things to spend their money on. but it wasn't ASW...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-17, 03:54 PM   #1233
s7rikeback
I break things

Downloads: 1106
Uploads: 10

Default Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'll look into those two then later. Thank you for pointing them out.
Good evening all,

After my clear out today, after my eletrical problems guess what i have ?

Playable_Blockadebrecher_Pinguin - it's based on the NACA model.

Also, you mentioned that you and Keltos01 where looking into how the IJN straped down loads on their subs...

Old 06-24-17, 03:57 PM   #1234
s7rikeback
I break things

Default Daihatsu-class landing craft

me again,

Are these any good... As per our conversation the other day.

Old 06-24-17, 04:18 PM   #1235
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7rikeback View Post
Good evening all,

After my clear out today, after my eletrical problems guess what i have ?

Playable_Blockadebrecher_Pinguin - it's based on the NACA model.

Also, you mentioned that you and Keltos01 where looking into how the IJN straped down loads on their subs...

Is there by chance a date stamp on that photo any that you can see, s7rikeback? I can't remember when it was, but they eventually put passageways with hatches between the submarine and the mini-sub, had latches controllable from inside the submarine, and were able to launch while submerged. I'm sure they weren't much below PD for that. The way they're tied-down in your pic is with steel cable and bars with come-a-longs to tighten them all up... You'd have to be up top to undo all of that, of course... and it might be that they're just transferring them from Kure to some outlying base, like Truk, and don't plan on launching them from the sub?... but the caption does say "Note that the submarine is on launching cradle." Excellent find, good sir!

Old 06-24-17, 04:29 PM   #1236
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
Is there by chance a date stamp on that photo any that you can see, s7rikeback? I can't remember when it was, but they eventually put passageways with hatches between the submarine and the mini-sub, had latches controllable from inside the submarine, and were able to launch while submerged. I'm sure they weren't much below PD for that. The way they're tied-down in your pic is with steel cable and bars with come-a-longs to tighten them all up... You'd have to be up top to undo all of that, of course... and it might be that they're just transferring them from Kure to some outlying base, like Truk, and don't plan on launching them from the sub?... but the caption does say "Note that the submarine is on launching cradle." Excellent find, good sir!
It's on the photo mate.
Old 06-24-17, 04:31 PM   #1237
propbeanie

~Now~ I see it... - being "polluted" by the "modern" way of doing dates in the US here, the date looks like part of the designation of the boat in the caption, not something for the 17th of August, 1944...

I'd sure hate to have to be one of the grunts up top that has to undo that beast... 'course, you would get to be outside that tube and all its associated shtink...

Old 06-24-17, 04:39 PM   #1238
s7rikeback
I break things

Quote:
~Now~ I see it... - being "polluted" by the "modern" way of doing dates in the US here, the date looks like part of the designation of the boat in the caption, not something for the 17th of August, 1944...

I'd sure hate to have to be one of the grunts up top that has to undo that beast... 'course, you would get to be outside that tube and all its associated shtink...
Modern ? USA ? Another butchering of the queens english if you ask me.

How about those other pictures, any good? I read that Tater had a working model, when he was working with hitman, but the mod failed to arrive. Have you tried to contact him?
Old 06-24-17, 11:43 PM   #1239
propbeanie

No, I have not. We've got something around here though of it... we'll have to see what keltos01 has. We're going to have to put out the "Honorable Builder of Sinking Ships Call Beacon", like they do for Batman... He's just a popular guy with that PM stuff...

Old 07-24-17, 05:03 PM   #1240
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Checking in on how this mod is coming along?
Old 07-24-17, 10:15 PM   #1241
propbeanie

I'm not sure if keltos01 has any more tweaks to add, but I keep hitting brick walls trying to do the campaign, and have some "pretty" stuff. I keep having to go back to the KISS concept, so it's going to end up being more like a Fleet Boat campaign than a "true" IJN one, in order to get a beta out. Same stuff that Peabody kept running into basically. If we manage to get a couple "hard and fast" rules of the engine bent to our will, we'll change up a little. For now, I'm still working on mission files for individual boats early in the war, where they were somewhat "specialized" in what they did. Later on, after the Guadalcanal time frame, they were more "jack of all trades" type boats, doing lots of "delivery" missions, with the navy still wanting to build those fanciful specialized boats... The Sen Taka should have been prioritized... Did you know that a small version of that boat was first "beta tested" in 1938, but they basically sat on it until late 1942?...

Old 07-24-17, 11:25 PM   #1242
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
I'm not sure if keltos01 has any more tweaks to add, but I keep hitting brick walls trying to do the campaign, and have some "pretty" stuff. I keep having to go back to the KISS concept, so it's going to end up being more like a Fleet Boat campaign than a "true" IJN one, in order to get a beta out. Same stuff that Peabody kept running into basically. If we manage to get a couple "hard and fast" rules of the engine bent to our will, we'll change up a little. For now, I'm still working on mission files for individual boats early in the war, where they were somewhat "specialized" in what they did. Later on, after the Guadalcanal time frame, they were more "jack of all trades" type boats, doing lots of "delivery" missions, with the navy still wanting to build those fanciful specialized boats... The Sen Taka should have been prioritized... Did you know that a small version of that boat was first "beta tested" in 1938, but they basically sat on it until late 1942?...
Interesting. What brick walls are you referencing? Changing campaign around to not focus on merchant shipping but warships or?

I was not aware of the smaller version of sen tokus. I did watch a documentary recently that discussed how resources were diverted away, which lead to their slow construction.

They really would have been a weapon of terror on the US if had been completed.If the strike on the Panama Canal happened and was successful, would've been a major problem.

Look forward to the challenge of evading allied ASW. I recall a post long ago in the mod threat involving air dropped homing torpedoes. Was this ever implemented into the IJN mod?
Old 07-25-17, 06:40 AM   #1243
propbeanie

The engine does not allow "variables" that can change, such as the time in port, once set, is static. The "Base Stop" objective doesn't really do anything, and there's no "over-nighting" with it. Changing the commando boat to a different vessel to launch is "stuck" once set, so you can't have a boat "launch" a raft one time, then change it to some other vehicle for the next, unless you change the boat (I'm really want to find a work-around to this). Making things "disappear" on a vessel is beyond my comprehension. That last bit - "beyond my comprehension" is a biggie... - All of this affects the construction used for the campaign, so going up dead-end alleys has caused quite a bit of delay. Not being able to get the specialized boats to do their "specialty" looms large...

As for the IJN's Sen Toku that carried 3 planes, that was an unusual submersible, and would have been able to cause a bit of concern with the US war effort if the IJN would have had them sooner, but the US ASW (helped by having cracked the IJN codes), would have been able to at least eventually deal with those beasts. The Sen Taka however, was the streamlined, all welded hull, smaller boat capable of high speed underwater. It's numbers were "backwards" compared to other boats, in that it was faster submerged than it was surfaced, and capable of nearly 20 knots underwater for up to an hour at a time. Their "weakness" was they only carried 10 torpedoes.

Old 07-25-17, 11:03 AM   #1244
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
The engine does not allow "variables" that can change, such as the time in port, once set, is static. The "Base Stop" objective doesn't really do anything, and there's no "over-nighting" with it. Changing the commando boat to a different vessel to launch is "stuck" once set, so you can't have a boat "launch" a raft one time, then change it to some other vehicle for the next, unless you change the boat (I'm really want to find a work-around to this). Making things "disappear" on a vessel is beyond my comprehension. That last bit - "beyond my comprehension" is a biggie... - All of this affects the construction used for the campaign, so going up dead-end alleys has caused quite a bit of delay. Not being able to get the specialized boats to do their "specialty" looms large...

As for the IJN's Sen Toku that carried 3 planes, that was an unusual submersible, and would have been able to cause a bit of concern with the US war effort if the IJN would have had them sooner, but the US ASW (helped by having cracked the IJN codes), would have been able to at least eventually deal with those beasts. The Sen Taka however, was the streamlined, all welded hull, smaller boat capable of high speed underwater. It's numbers were "backwards" compared to other boats, in that it was faster submerged than it was surfaced, and capable of nearly 20 knots underwater for up to an hour at a time. Their "weakness" was they only carried 10 torpedoes.

Ah got ya. Those type of obstacles foster a real love/hate of this sim eh? lol

If can ever get the AI subs firing torpedoes worked out. Would be interesting to have AI fleetboats firing player in IJN campaign eh?
Old 07-25-17, 07:02 PM   #1245
propbeanie

This and FotRSU will both have it... we hope