SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-15-23, 05:03 AM   #5341
melis
Watch

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 0

Hello. Mod is Wonderful! But.. When the leaks are removed, the water is not removed, and after ascending, the carbon dioxide is not vented. Is this a bug?
melis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-23, 07:04 AM   #5342
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

No, not a "bug" per se, but a "design feature" of the interaction of stock SH4 in the 'modern' Windows OS. SH4 is an old DirectX v9 game, written basically to the Windows XP paradigm with single-threaded processes. No "virtual" threads and no multi-core cpus - they were only dreamed of for user computers. The 'modern' Windows (Vista version and later) can "virtualize" the computer and "sandbox" the SH4 game into a segmented area of the computer memory (hence the use of LAA or the 4Gig Patch). As such, SH4 has no idea when "the game" loses focus with Windows, such as if you shell-out and use the calculator or do email. The game assumes it has exclusive use of all hardware. The "shelling-out" can also happen from Windows itself, if you have a background process running (usually in the systray) that "interrupts" the normal operation of the User's work, such as 'Notifications' from the systray. When the game does lose focus, Windows will at times re-assign the resources, such as the video stream or the audio stream to a different process to use while SH4 is "paused" (by the OS). When you return to the game, it does not always receive its resources back at the same memory address, and that results in those little nigglies and nargles you are experiencing. The game does not like being "interrupted" like that.

It can be difficult, if you have a lot of "background" processes running, to prevent the system from shelling-out on you, but try to avoid the situation. If you do notice that the CO2 will not clear within 30 seconds of surfacing, then Save the game immediately. Exit the game to the desktop. Reload the SH4 game, and then Load the Save game to continue. The O2 should then be restored and CO2 cleared. All graphic anomalies should also clear. This applies to all of the SH series games, and probably most other DirectX v9 games.

Leaks can be a beast of a different stripe, though the shelling-out can cause a similar issue as above. At its root, the repair process has a "timer" for each repair, as found in the game's configuration files. As an example, a "Small Leak" might take fifteen minutes to repair, while a "Medium Leak" might take two hours, and a "Large Leak" might take eight hours, and this "game timer" for the repairs only begins after you put the repair team to work, either directly, or while at Battle Stations. If that "game timer" gets interrupted, the process starts all over, no matter what interrupts the "game timer" (which happens to be a DirectX v9 Library timer).

The "shelling-out" issue does interrupt the timer, as does Saving the game and exiting, both of which seem counter-intuitive, but that is the way the DirectX v9 Library stuff functions (or fails to... ). If you have CO2 building in the boat after surfacing, no matter how bad the "repair" situation is, you do have to Save the game, exit the game, reload the game, and load the save, so that your crew does not die. Then you deal with having to wait for the repairs to complete again. Now, it could be that the shelling-out that caused your CO2 build-up while surfaced also caused a graphics anomaly, and you'll know that soon enough when you load the saved game, if the compartments do show "clear" when you get back inside the boat. Just be aware, that no matter the circumstances of your loading of a saved game, that if you took any damage, or had a song playing on the radio, or any one of a number of things, including if you hit an anti-sub net and got that awful Banshee scream from it, you will hear it all over again, one right after the other, as the game loads. That can be rather rude at times, if you have the sound up too loud for your computer... - that is also an SH4 issue...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-23, 02:48 PM   #5343
melis
Watch

Downloads: 196

Thank you sincerely for your reply. And could it be that some mods are more susceptible to this than others?
melis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-23, 04:47 PM   #5344
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by melis View Post
Thank you sincerely for your reply. And could it be that some mods are more susceptible to this than others?
jumping in here for PB........

no.
shelling out (alt-tab to windows to do other stuff) is consistently bad.
don't do it.

i'll add another don't: don't change mods while you are on a mission.
or in a positive manner: change mods only while in port between missions and, when you do this, delete your savefolders under this subfolder:
Documents\SH4\data\cfg

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-23, 01:41 PM   #5345
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Issue at Midway early 1944

Just left Midway Island in Gato (from outside harbor) bound for Maple Grove at 0730 on 03-17-1944. Almost immediately after getting under way, heard two loud explosions in the distance toward Eastern Island. Observed two smoke columns rising from the NW edge of the Island. On closer inspection it appears to be coming from a DDE that is broken in two and burning! No obvious causes noted.

Noticed something similar (explosions and smoke) on leaving for the Carolines on 02/11/1944. I noted a destroyer-type firmly aground and burning on Eastern Island at the same location. Did not take time to investigate as I assumed the emergency services would be able to handle it.

You may wish to investigate further in case there is an unknown hazard at that location.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-23, 09:39 AM   #5346
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default How to put Save folder on C drive not D drive

My game is installed on drive C:\Game folder. My Document folder is on the D drive. If I put another Document folder on C (C:\Document) how can I get the game to put saves there instead of on D:\Document?
Old 03-27-23, 10:29 AM   #5347
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Just left Midway Island in Gato (from outside harbor) bound for Maple Grove at 0730 on 03-17-1944. Almost immediately after getting under way, heard two loud explosions in the distance toward Eastern Island. Observed two smoke columns rising from the NW edge of the Island. On closer inspection it appears to be coming from a DDE that is broken in two and burning! No obvious causes noted.

Noticed something similar (explosions and smoke) on leaving for the Carolines on 02/11/1944. I noted a destroyer-type firmly aground and burning on Eastern Island at the same location. Did not take time to investigate as I assumed the emergency services would be able to handle it.

You may wish to investigate further in case there is an unknown hazard at that location.

Thus far, I have not found anything close to running aground while looking in the ME, so I'm doing test starts to try to find the culprit. My guess is that two ships are on a collision course, and the one avoids collision by running aground. "Collision avoidance" in the game is sadly lacking, and begins to happen when the AI "anticipates" that two assets will pass within a given distance from each other (500m??). Instead of slowing one of the assets down, and doing it smoothly, each asset (in this case two ships) with their "independent" AI, will sometimes both slow down just before impact, or both assets steer to the same course, or both techniques are used, and the ships (or planes) still collide. Sometimes, they do avoid collision by one or both of the ships "backing" out of the way, in an attempt to find a new route. However, any "backing" movements usually involves improper rudder control and they then steer to inappropriate headings (the opposite of what they should do) and back themselves onto shore, into docks, or into other ships. I just saw another at Pearl Harbor the other day, and had to tweak a tug boat's start so-as to avoid having it pull out in front of a departing freighter. Very frustrating to make a harbor look like a harbor, yet not have the ships & planes crash into each other, or the "ground". This is probably why the Stock game had minimal movements in harbors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldjs View Post
My game is installed on drive C:\Game folder. My Document folder is on the D drive. If I put another Document folder on C (C:\Document) how can I get the game to put saves there instead of on D:\Document?
Using MultiSH4 v1.5 allows you to alter the Save folder 3-character "name" designation, but NOT the drive. That follows your Windows Documents folder, usually. You could move the whole "Documents" structure with the instructions as in a TenForums article (Win 11 link on that page), Move Location of Documents Folder in Windows 10, which you may have already done, but that does move the folder for everything on the computer that uses the Windows GUI for files - mostly... There will still be arbitrary times when apps & Windows itself will still use the original C:\Users \UserName \Documents location, and sometimes it will dump files and folders into the Root of the drive where you moved your Documents folder to, which can be very frustrating, and difficult to anticipate. Which drive you installed Windows to might also influence this. But setting a new path only to the Save folder for SH4, no-can-do, impossible without injection somewhere into either the SH4 executable file, or maybe the FileManager dll file of the game... the "path" to the folder is hard-coded somewhere in there. If you haven't tried MultiSH4, give it a whirl, and then look to see where your "unique" 3-character folder ends up being located. My Win10 desktop puts the folder on the same drive as the game. In Windows 7, it followed the My Documents location. Windows 11 is an unknown to me thus far in this regard, since my Win11 laptop only has one drive...

Last edited by propbeanie; 03-27-23 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo fest... grammatical corrections...
Old 03-27-23, 01:46 PM   #5348
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Thus far, I have not found anything close to running aground while looking in the ME, so I'm doing test starts to try to find the culprit. My guess is that two ships are on a collision course, and the one avoids collision by running aground. "Collision avoidance" in the game is sadly lacking, and begins to happen when the AI "anticipates" that two assets will pass within a given distance from each other (500m??). Instead of slowing one of the assets down, and doing it smoothly, each asset (in this case two ships) with their "independent" AI, will sometimes both slow down just before impact, or both assets steer to the same course, or both techniques are used, and the ships (or planes) still collide. Sometimes, they do avoid collision by one or both of the ships "backing" out of the way, in an attempt to find a new route. However, any "backing" movements usually involves improper rudder control and they then steer to inappropriate headings (the opposite of what they should do) and back themselves onto shore, into docks, or into other ships. I just saw another at Pearl Harbor the other day, and had to tweak a tug boat's start so-as to avoid having it pull out in front of a departing freighter. Very frustrating to make a harbor look like a harbor, yet not have the ships & planes crash into each other, or the "ground". This is probably why the Stock game had minimal movements in harbors...
do you remember Sub Battle (SB) from decades ago? i think it was an Epyx game. there is a story that relates to collisions.

i remember running into a problem/question while playing SB and calling the C/S line, after hours.
a guy picks up the call and he turns out to be a systems developer who was working late and happened to walk by the ringing phone.
for you young guys, this was back in the days when a telephone was attached to something, a desk or a wall, and not your thumbs.

anyway, we ended up chatting for hours, on not only Sub Battle, but also systems development.
one of things i remember him telling me was that there are an unbelievable number of collisions in a game such as this. it was one of the top issues that they had to deal with.

one of the features that SB had that SH3-4-5 do not have is the auto-drive feature. auto-drive allowed the player to set a destination and press the auto-drive key and the game would calculate the most direct course, using the best speed, and calculate the proper elapsed time, and deliver you to your destination. saved a lot of time traveling the pacific to/from Pearl. the only problem that would arise would be if you encountered an enemy during your auto-drive such that the game took you out of auto-drive while you were passing through an island on your most-direct-course. don't laugh. () when it happened, it would always screw up a perfectly good mission. the point is: that's a collision.

anyway, PB's description of designing a harbour layer of ships and their movement took me to a memory palace and i thought i would share the story. Collisions are a historical issue for games such as this.

LAA enabled
Old 03-29-23, 01:46 PM   #5349
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3211

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
do you remember Sub Battle (SB) from decades ago? i think it was an Epyx game. there is a story that relates to collisions.

i remember running into a problem/question while playing SB and calling the C/S line, after hours.
a guy picks up the call and he turns out to be a systems developer who was working late and happened to walk by the ringing phone.
for you young guys, this was back in the days when a telephone was attached to something, a desk or a wall, and not your thumbs.

anyway, we ended up chatting for hours, on not only Sub Battle, but also systems development.
one of things i remember him telling me was that there are an unbelievable number of collisions in a game such as this. it was one of the top issues that they had to deal with.

one of the features that SB had that SH3-4-5 do not have is the auto-drive feature. auto-drive allowed the player to set a destination and press the auto-drive key and the game would calculate the most direct course, using the best speed, and calculate the proper elapsed time, and deliver you to your destination. saved a lot of time traveling the pacific to/from Pearl. the only problem that would arise would be if you encountered an enemy during your auto-drive such that the game took you out of auto-drive while you were passing through an island on your most-direct-course. don't laugh. () when it happened, it would always screw up a perfectly good mission. the point is: that's a collision.

anyway, PB's description of designing a harbour layer of ships and their movement took me to a memory palace and i thought i would share the story. Collisions are a historical issue for games such as this.

Well...For an autodrive, will be nice a FMC with SID /STARS for subs

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 04:49 PM   #5350
Tigerzhunters
Frogman

Downloads: 96

Is here any Alternate Download Link For some reason If im download from subsim More than 10 mb Its always corrupted when im extrack

Old 03-29-23, 04:51 PM   #5351
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Well...For an autodrive, will be nice a FMC with SID /STARS for subs

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo
i was reminiscing.

the collisions discussion took me to a memory palace and i shared a memory. i probably should not have shared that.

LAA enabled
Old 04-12-23, 12:03 AM   #5352
Bernardi
Watch

Downloads: 7

Anyone knows if either of the steam versions of SH4 will work with this mod pack with the necessary patches enabled? There is also the Ubisoft Launcher Store that sells the "Gold Edition" but its labeled as a DLC so im really confused which game i should buy.
The store pages for the game are very confusing to what exactly they are selling so excuse me for the confusion.

Im sure there must be an asnwer somewhere in the 350 pages of this thread but honestly while i look if anyone knows please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Bernardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-23, 06:46 AM   #5353
propbeanie

The first post and the download page both have notes that the mod is only for the v1.5 of the SH4 game. That is basically the "Gold Edition", which was a euphemism for a all-in-one version of the game, which was originally released with a v1.x number (of course), and went through several interim updates, up through v1.4 that were US Pacific theatre-only versions of the game. Version 1.5 added several "features", including the German Type IX-D2 and Type XVIII U-Boats for a playable German career in the Monsun Gruppe, based in SE Asia. The basic "artwork" of the game was slightly changed, rendering the v1.5 "update" un-compatible with previous versions of the game, which also made all of the existing (at the time) mods incompatible. So, FotRSU is written to that "standard" and will not run in anything prior to v1.5. However, it does not matter whether you have a version of the game with the U-Boat Mission Add-On added on top of an older version of the game, the Steam, the Ubisoft, or any other download version, or the disk "Gold Edition" version of the game. If it says it is "Version 1.5" or "Gold Edition", that would be the same, and what you want. What you do have to do though, is ensure that the game is NOT installed in a Windows "Program Files" folder, or any other folder that Windows monitors. Otherwise, Windows itself will remove any updates and mods that you might add to the folder, and that is due to Windows "security" and the fact that the game was written for Windows XP, and is ignorant of anything about "Vista" or later versions of Windows. There are pdf files in the mod's Support folder, as well as other "help" peppered through-out the first post and the download page to help with game installation and mod activation. Or, any other questions, just post back and someone will help out.

Old 04-12-23, 09:28 AM   #5354
Bernardi
Watch

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The first post and the download page both have notes that the mod is only for the v1.5 of the SH4 game. That is basically the "Gold Edition", which was a euphemism for a all-in-one version of the game, which was originally released with a v1.x number (of course), and went through several interim updates, up through v1.4 that were US Pacific theatre-only versions of the game. Version 1.5 added several "features", including the German Type IX-D2 and Type XVIII U-Boats for a playable German career in the Monsun Gruppe, based in SE Asia. The basic "artwork" of the game was slightly changed, rendering the v1.5 "update" un-compatible with previous versions of the game, which also made all of the existing (at the time) mods incompatible. So, FotRSU is written to that "standard" and will not run in anything prior to v1.5. However, it does not matter whether you have a version of the game with the U-Boat Mission Add-On added on top of an older version of the game, the Steam, the Ubisoft, or any other download version, or the disk "Gold Edition" version of the game. If it says it is "Version 1.5" or "Gold Edition", that would be the same, and what you want. What you do have to do though, is ensure that the game is NOT installed in a Windows "Program Files" folder, or any other folder that Windows monitors. Otherwise, Windows itself will remove any updates and mods that you might add to the folder, and that is due to Windows "security" and the fact that the game was written for Windows XP, and is ignorant of anything about "Vista" or later versions of Windows. There are pdf files in the mod's Support folder, as well as other "help" peppered through-out the first post and the download page to help with game installation and mod activation. Or, any other questions, just post back and someone will help out.
Thanks that clarifies a lot of things. I did see the requirments in the first page im just confused if the Steam version of the game goes up to v1.5.
Actually i just found a comment on Steam saying they only sell version 1.3 even with the U-Boat addon and the guy says he didnt find a way to update to version 1.5. Now that was in 2014 so is there a way to update now from the 1.3 version? Also i guess the gold edition of the Ubisoft Store should work as it says in the cover art it's the "Gold Edition" again they don't specify what version the game uses.
Bernardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-23, 12:11 PM   #5355
propbeanie

Notice this Steam page is "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific"
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...f_the_Pacific/

That would be version 1.3, while this Steam page is "Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific U-Boat Missions"
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...Boat_Missions/

and that would be version 1.5, as an "upgrade" for the v1.3 package. Note that under the title, the Steam page says "This is an expansion for Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific and requires the Steam version of the original game to play." So you do need both versions from Steam.

When put altogether in a single package though, as in this Ubisoft store page
https://store.ubisoft.com/us/game/?l...&source=detail

While it says "Gold Edition", it is version 1.5 also.

Why Steam does theirs that way is beyond my comprehension... If their v1.3 could be updated to the Ubisoft v1.4 download, then maybe it would be useful, but it cannot. The only way to update the Steam v1.3 is to use the Steam v1.5 U-Boat Missions purchase...