SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-10-15, 12:53 PM   #16
lexloma
Watch

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Thanks, your fix worked!

...First, I noticed that on Silent Hunter 3, there was a check mark on "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting", which wasn't there on Silent Hunter 4...

I checked that box on properties of my shortcut and back in business!

Thanks Ensign!
Old 08-10-15, 03:26 PM   #17
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Win 7 until they pry it from my cold dead fingers here!

It's the last Windows that doesn't dumb down a computer to a cell phone. I have a cell phone. I like my computer better.

I'm with you RR
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-15, 04:46 PM   #18
james_nix
What's happenin' Cap'n'?

Downloads: 719
Uploads: 6

My only change was that I had to run sh4.exe as admin.
Old 08-10-15, 10:29 PM   #19
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPrey View Post

Also, are you allowing the included DirectX to install when you do your reinstalls? The original Ghost Recon will run on Windows 7 64-bit with DirectX 11 but only if you also run the DirectX 9.0c install included on the disc. I use that example because it's my most recent experience trying to get an old game to run from disc, not because it's particularly similar to SH4. I'm a Steam user for SH3 and 4 and I typically just use the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button rather that actually doing a reinstall. I'm lazy and it's worked every time so far. (Knock on wood.)

Best of luck. Sorry I don't have anything more to offer, and thank you for being the trailblazer on the upgrade.
Yes, that is exactly it. I had the same issue as Ensign Dunsel because I thought I can skip the install of old versions of DirectX. I had to get my disc and install DirectX 9.0c to get it to show on screen.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-15, 07:32 AM   #20
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

One more time: This thread is for people having problems getting SH4 to run on Windows 10. There are now two threads in the PC Software forum on the OS itself. Please stay on topic.
Old 08-16-15, 07:41 PM   #21
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

And that's the end of the thread.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-15, 10:16 AM   #22
majidb
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 130
Default Windows 10 and SH4 w/mods

After using the above noted tip about ticking off the graphic box it worked for me. I am just leaving it at plain W10 compatibility as that works. To use UBM mod I did two things. One I used the JG thingy to load the mod but noticed that no files were in the single section etc. So I copied all the games to the single in the data section and they worked. Now I don't know the exact terminological but maybe you get my drift or someone can re-write this more technically.
majidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 04:58 PM   #23
officerharris
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 268
Default Issue Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Dunsel View Post
Good Evening, All! I fixed it, but I am not sure which method works.

First, I regret the delay in responding. I was upgrading my wife's computer to Windows 10, and hers is much slower than mine (she doesn't mind, she hates computers!).

Second, let me make some apologizes. Right after I posted, I found the other thread. Perhaps I missed it (more likely, I am an ensign after all), or things happened pretty quickly when Windows 10 came out. Nevertheless, I sincerely apologize to the moderator and all of you for posting another unnecessary thread.

Now here is what I did, and I did them together so I don't know which worked. First, I noticed that on Silent Hunter 3, there was a check mark on "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting", which wasn't there on Silent Hunter 4. Second, during all the reinstalling that I did, I didn't register the software. I did so. And now it works. Which one did fixed it, I really don't know.

IMHO, I really like Windows 10 for two reasons. First, I was in the Google environment and I did not like the fact that Google wasn't giving me the option of turning off the pooling of my information. Second, every release of DirectX gets better and better. But that's just me.

I would like to thank those of offered me suggestion and encouragement.

Fair Winds,
Ensign Dunsel
I checked into the issue above and (Ensign Dunsel) is correct, the fix for this issue is to place a check in the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting" do this by right clicking on the SH4.exe then select properties then select the compatibilities tab then place a check in the box for "Disable display scaling on high DPI setting" also at this time you should make sure you are running the program as an administrator, if not then check that box located at the bottom as well. then click apply and ok, and your done. Good Hunting!
officerharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 05:36 PM   #24
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

officerharris! after a long silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 05:24 AM   #25
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Welcome Aboard harris

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:07 AM   #26
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Welcome to SUBSIM OH

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 02:01 PM   #27
aotino
Watch

Downloads: 2
Default Windows 10 and SH4 not working

Well I recently upgraded from Windows 8 to 10, and I can't get SH4 to work. However, it was not on my computer to start with. I just bought the SH4 CD - so its all brand new. Clicked on all the recommended prompts as I installed it. When I hit the game application - nothing happens - can't get the game to play. Anyone got any suggestions? Not very computer savvy so go easy.
aotino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-15, 07:44 PM   #28
aotino
Watch

Downloads: 2

Hey guys,

I figured it out. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, but did not load up "Game Shadow" which came with the game, and which I loaded the first time. I didn't know what it was nor had I ever heard of it, but it sounded like something problematic - so I nixed it this second go around. I did make sure that "Disable display scaling on high DPI" and "Run program as game administrator" were both checked. I also, at the end of installing, checked the box that asked if I wanted to "Run the Game," which I also did not do the first time. SH4 started right up!! Hope that helps anyone having difficulties.

Best,
Alan
aotino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-15, 01:09 AM   #29
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Well done!

TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-15, 09:14 PM   #30
sithlordmaligant
Mate

Downloads: 1033

I can not see the compatability in the properties when i click properties i just upgraded to windows 10 and can not run sh4

DO UNTO OTHERS THEN RUN VERY FAST
sithlordmaligant is offline   Reply With Quote