SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-21-13, 08:38 AM   #1
Hardigen
Sparky

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Shipping Lanes

Does any skippers know of the Shipping Lanes in the East China Sea. Have been walzing around the Patrol Marker for days with nothin t show . So moved to a small Island Okinawa Gunto , South of the Japanese Mainland .At present about 12nm from Naha waiting for nightfall before closing .Sound man picking up lots of activity.With 100% R being played got to watch my fuel. I,ll cut loose around 48% t get back to Midway.If I have to return would apprieciate info on the Shipping Lanes . Maybe its cheating but its a long way there and back. Sink em all you guys H
Hardigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 10:45 AM   #2
c13Garrison
Ensign

Downloads: 14

Good morning Hardigen, and everyone! Yes, finding shipping in TMO/RSRD is not as easy as it seems it should be. I was to the west of where "convoy college" is printed and only found solos every couple of days, which I believe are just random spawns. My best suggestion is to be about 60nm ESE of Formosa and just be watchful, but I'm sure others know far more. I know nothing about East China Sea yet.

Good luck! And do watch that fuel...
c13Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 11:23 AM   #3
in_vino_vomitus
XO

Downloads: 137

I don't know what mods you're using, if any - but there's a map of the shipping lanes attached to the shortwave radio, which is accessible either via the toolbar or the radio room - there's also a couple of similar maps in the downloads section - one for TMO and the other for RSRD

[edit] found them.....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2735 --- TMO

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=2739 --- TMO+RSRD
1.5 Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5
1.5 OTC Realistic Scopes for TMO
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4
Improved Stock environment v3_TMO&RFB
TMO_Alt_engine-sounds
TMO_Alternate_JS_Radar_performance
TMO17_19_different_smoke

Last edited by in_vino_vomitus; 08-21-13 at 11:54 AM.
in_vino_vomitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 11:40 AM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardigen View Post
Does any skippers know of the Shipping Lanes in the East China Sea. Have been walzing around the Patrol Marker for days with nothin t show . So moved to a small Island Okinawa Gunto , South of the Japanese Mainland .At present about 12nm from Naha waiting for nightfall before closing .Sound man picking up lots of activity.With 100% R being played got to watch my fuel. I,ll cut loose around 48% t get back to Midway.If I have to return would apprieciate info on the Shipping Lanes . Maybe its cheating but its a long way there and back. Sink em all you guys H

I wouldn't say it's cheating.Skipper's were often given coordinates of known shipping lanes.Sometimes the logical and most likely routes are not those used.Also, the traffic is set to a random radius at a lot of waypoints so they may pass 20 or miles off the actual waypoint they are set, this makes it so its not likely a highway you can always find traffic at.

I would suggest using the mission editor to open up the campaign files to see the traffic in the respective time period you are on patrol in.

Are you running RSRD? I usually assume RSRD when people talk about no traffic since its historical and traffic shifts and convoys are not randomly spawned but are single convoys spawned on certain dates.The creator used historical reference to recreate the convoys in all years.Although some convoys are missing(i added them in my game) its a pretty nice piece of work.

If using RSRD go to mission editor in SH 4 folder, then open RSRD/Data/Campaign/ and if looking for January -March 1944 convoys, open up 44A_Jap_Convoys. This way you can see the lanes used by convoys.Repeat for different years.If using stock or something else, same thing, just look in campaign files
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 02:15 PM   #5
Hardigen
Sparky

THx to you all ,at the moment I,m not using any MODs everytime I finish a patrol I,m still at sea and OPS gives me another location t go to .When I get back to base they give me the options of resupply so I,m anchored where the massage came up which is not in the harbour but out at sea . Not knowing whether I,m gonna foul things up ,I go back to my patrol area .the Mods waiting to be installed are :- OTC for TMO 2.5. TMO 2.5. and one that gives the names of all the Islands ( can,t think of the name).I,ll look into the Campaign files , and also try an get to that position near Formosa. and th other info will be looked into . Thx guys I,d sail with you lot any where . H
Old 08-21-13, 02:44 PM   #6
Hardigen
Sparky

Default Re-Mods

I,m lookin forward to installin these mods ,and also I,ll take note of the ones you,ve got Vomitus, but I,ll carry on for the time being ,even though the conning tower and the control rooms are leaking ( the damage control party have been at it for months tryin to repair the damage ) the sound man is soaked to the skin , Its a great game ! take care all H
Old 08-21-13, 03:02 PM   #7
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Just ignore that leaking pipe for once it is broken nothing can fix it.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-13, 03:14 PM   #8
BrucePartington
XO

Downloads: 33

Quote:
(snip) ,even though the conning tower and the control rooms are leaking ( the damage control party have been at it for months tryin to repair the damage ) the sound man is soaked to the skin , Its a great game ! take care all H
Mine was finally fixed when I upgraded to the U-Boat Missions / SH4 v1.5.
BrucePartington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-13, 03:49 PM   #9
Kapitan Klaffmuschel
Watch

Downloads: 138
Default An alternative

Quote:
THx to you all ,at the moment I,m not using any MODs everytime I finish a patrol I,m still at sea and OPS gives me another location t go to .When I get back to base they give me the options of resupply so I,m anchored where the massage came up which is not in the harbour but out at sea . Not knowing whether I,m gonna foul things up ,I go back to my patrol area .the Mods waiting to be installed are :- OTC for TMO 2.5. TMO 2.5. and one that gives the names of all the Islands ( can,t think of the name).I,ll look into the Campaign files , and also try an get to that position near Formosa. and th other info will be looked into . Thx guys I,d sail with you lot any where . H
I've had some luck with placing myself at the point where major events took place about 24 hours prior to the historical event (EX: the invasion of Java in 1942.)

Also I did a bit of poking around for real IJN convoy routes on the web and patrolled along those axes. There are only a couple of maps that I could find, but I've found a fair number of small to medium groups, mainly in the Bismark Sea, off Truk, and in the passages between the Celebes Sea and the Phillipine Sea. Not so much off Japan or in the ECS.

Another trick is to draw a line from the major bases to the major supply points and put yourself within 30 miles of the line, again patrolling along the line, not back and forth across it. This worked best later in the war in the East China Sea and the Formosa Straits.

All this to avoid peeking.

Running SH1.5 with RFB and RSRD.
Kapitan Klaffmuschel is offline   Reply With Quote