SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-16-13, 04:00 PM   #1
Skipjack
Watch

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 0
Default I'm baaack

Long time no visit to SubSim. Well that is over and here I am. Just want to say a big HELLO to everyone. Is there any one still playing SH3 or has 4&5 the main attraction. I hear 5 is not as good as 4 which is not as good as 3. Anyone care to set me straight on that. Any way I love SubSim. You guys rock!
Skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-13, 09:45 PM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

There are still a huge number of people playing SH3. It still has the most and best mods and widest range of experiences available. SH4 has US fleet boat action, which is good. SH5 is wonderful if you like the Type VII.

What I'm wondering is why this is in a forum for the new Silent Hunter Online browser game.
Old 09-24-13, 11:11 PM   #3
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
SH5 is wonderful if you like the Type VII.
The only one where you can walk through the boat.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-13, 12:32 AM   #4
SnipersHunter
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 201
But with interrior mods you can walk around your boat in sh 3 too.
SnipersHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 07:28 PM   #5
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126

Hey Skipjack you do go way back. Almost as far back as Sailor Steve. Who by the way is not real. Some years ago he was playing in a night club band when he decided to take a break and come down from the stage. Trying his hand at a nearby video machine he entered Ace of the Deep. He was suck into the underwater virtual world and was never been seen in the flesh again.

Now he lives in these forums posting at any hour and at any moment. Its true. Check his post history.

Seriously, why did you post in the SHO forum?

The Silent Hunter series from SH3 through SH5 were all major disappointments upon release. I believe because our expectations were so high. Anyway all of them when modded are outstanding.

Of course SH3 has the longest modding history and enjoys the best sim experience. While SH4 has the most options to choose from in that you can play in varoius American subs or in a German U-boat. Also you can be in the Atlantic or Pacific Oceans. Therefore it is my guess that SH4 has the most players at the moment. There is even a WIP to convert SH4 into WWI environment.

My personnel favorite is SH5. The mods make it unbelievable with real navigation and an editable captains journal. SH5 has its limitations in that the modders have spent the first year fixing broken game elements but are now putting out some incredible stuff. The future for SH5 is favorable. You need a pretty high preforming rig to run SH5. Which means when I'm away on travel with my laptop I'm playing SH4. Lastly as already stated you can only play in one type of boat.

In the end I think most of us are like me in that I play more then one of them.

SH5 Quick Start Guide
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 08:08 PM   #6
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway! View Post
Almost as far back as Sailor Steve. Who by the way is not real. Some years ago he was playing in a night club band when he decided to take a break and come down from the stage. Trying his hand at a nearby video machine he entered Ace of the Deep. He was suck into the underwater virtual world and was never been seen in the flesh again.
Rumors of my slide into the depravity of subsimming are patently false. I also get out once in a great while to play with my toy airplanes, and I have been seen on ocassion actually still playing a guitar. Or at least that what the voices in my head tell me. And they're never wrong.

Quote:
Now he lives in these forums posting at any hour and at any moment. Its true. Check his post history.
Also not true. I do have a life. I really do. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Oh, and just to make my point clear...
Old 09-29-13, 10:34 AM   #7
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I've created a furor?

I don't do that.

At least I try not to.

Most of the time.
Old 10-12-13, 04:25 PM   #8
SilentOtto
Engineer

Downloads: 71

Being an old salt, and also back today since a few months, I can't help but adding my (bad) experience today with SHO... Even though I was not too fond of the idea, well, you know, if you are a subsimmer, you'll eventually be interested in any new subsim. So I thought the thing should be rolling after all these months and why would I not give it a try?

So I looked up my old uplay account, logged in and pressed "PLAY NOW", and ... nothing happens! Tried firefox, then chrome, and nothing. I happen to have a virtual box xp setup and yea, it works there but (as you would expect) slow as a snail and unusable.

Well, seems that to run it in my linux system, I have to go through a quite long list of commands in order to set up manually google's flashplayer library, since for some reason it won't work. Damnit, it's just a flash web game! I've run LOTS of flash games,
and had never found this kind of problem... flash is flash.

I still have SH4 and SH5 running, with a lot of mods, in this linux box. I also play World of Tanks (what I have mostly played these last years). So, the little love I already had for SHO, plus this unexpected hassle, has helped me stay away from the "free to wait" model. I find it odd, and in a way, I find it as a sign that, as I thought, SHO is not for me!

Sorry for the rant, and thanks for the space to express it... I guess age is making me bitterer

Salute to all of you old salts!
SilentOtto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-13, 05:31 PM   #9
SilentOtto
Engineer

Danke schön!!
Old 10-14-13, 10:34 AM   #10
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

me back too, been a while!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-13, 01:04 PM   #11
Red Devil
The Old Man

I don't do 'u boats' - I will not sink my own ships. US subs only I'm afraid.
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-15-13, 04:51 PM   #12
SilentOtto
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
I don't do 'u boats' - I will not sink my own ships. US subs only I'm afraid.
Er... I really hope you noticed the "sim" in subsim... no real ships involved!
Old 10-15-13, 05:53 PM   #13
Red Devil
The Old Man

yeah I know but its the principle of the thing. I do a lot of WW2 research as a hobby and a hell of a lot on U Boats. I admire the bravery of the men who sailed in them. 75% of whom never came home. But, the line is drawn even on sims. In my research on the British Merchant Navy in WW2, I side with them poor souls.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-16-13, 04:29 AM   #14
Red Devil
The Old Man

May the force be with you!

My WW2 hero is Captain Walker RN who commanded a free ranging Hunter/Killer Group, the 2nd Support Group, and every U boat he found, he sank.

http://www.mikekemble.com/walker/windex.html

He died, of overwork induced thrombosis, in July 1944.
>

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Old 10-16-13, 10:06 AM   #15
SilentOtto
Engineer

I respect your answer, and even more your not biting my bait (a bit trolly that was).

But I must say I'm sorry you, as a history buff (I know your awesome website) are missing some of the experience of "being there", aboard the most awesome submarine machines of those sad days. Since I don't have a deep personal involvement with WWII, I can enjoy the same playing a US pacific sub, or a german atlantic one, just thinking about the sim and strategic side in both cases.

Even so, I can understand your emotions perfectly. I have myself similar prejudices... I am from Spain, and in some historic battles themed in the Spanish Civil War, of games I played (like Steel Panthers World ar War, or some MOD of Call of Duty which I don't remember how it was called) I couldn't even _think_ about playing the Fascist Nationalist Franco's side, I loathe them so much. I always played the Republican side, in a probably infantile way of trying to put things "right" in my mind. I guess I can understand you that way.

So, all my respects to you, sir!