SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-13, 03:13 AM   #1
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 62
Uploads: 0
Default NEWS You Hate To Read- One More Thing They Make You Pay For

It's about time.

Literally.. do you have the friggin time to re-live the war in time compression 1x? Actually sail around the Atlantic in normal time? Can you wait for time compression points to refill?

Do you really want to watch your sub trying to take a position on a convoy when you know real life is going to call you away from the game in just a few real-life minutes?

Well, dont Panic! SILENT HUNTER ONLINE is going to offer you a solution. All you need to do is insert your credit card to increase your time compression points.

This comment was made in the latest video- you can watch it here.. scroll to exactly 7 minutes (or 7:01) as shown in the video
http://venturebeat.com/2013/03/04/si...warfare-video/

You may find me on one of these teamspeak servers:
Subsim.com - subsim.teamspeak3.com
WWII Battleground Europe, Allied, - ts.wwiionline.com:9988
Elite Dangerous, Gamers Cove - 82.21.87.49
Cpt-Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 04:16 AM   #2
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Well, time to pay off that credit card then

Oh, by the way:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=202783

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 10:35 AM   #3
Cpt-Maxim
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 62

It's about time again..

I dont see anything in any other thread that addresses a major problem in time compression payments like I am about to bring to your attention, so lets make sure everyone is aware of this little fact..

How do you play with other people using wolfpack tactics once you are approaching a convoy, and the other guys tell you they dont have the time compression or money available to speed up - does everyone have to wait in real time - 1x - to move the wolf pack together...

OR do we ask the "low resource challenged person" to politely get the hell off the mission and stop inviting them to multiplay in the future unless they win the lottery or find some other means?

You may find me on one of these teamspeak servers:
Subsim.com - subsim.teamspeak3.com
WWII Battleground Europe, Allied, - ts.wwiionline.com:9988
Elite Dangerous, Gamers Cove - 82.21.87.49
Cpt-Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 10:59 AM   #4
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

What bothers me most is that we have a playable beta that is been released to a certain segment of the community and here we are still drawing nearer and nearer to a release date and all we have is a bunch of unanswered questions.

She was careful to avoid the term "money" or "currency"

She said you can use "credits" forgive my ignorance but is this something you gain over time, something you buy with a credit card, or a little of both?

I'm sorry but few things are more annoying than being in hot pursuit of a convoy, getting ready for attack etc only to discover that you have to drop $5 to get those time compression points and continue playing.

That strikes me as ridiculous.

All I expect unisoft to do is show me where the money is. And at every turn that is refused.
Old 03-07-13, 11:07 AM   #5
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt-Maxim View Post
How do you play with other people using wolfpack tactics once you are approaching a convoy, and the other guys tell you they dont have the time compression or money available to speed up - does everyone have to wait in real time - 1x - to move the wolf pack together...
In wolfpack missions you can't use time compression, the game runs for all players in the mission at 1x speed. All players in a wolfpack mission starts at the same distance to the convoy, it's basically the same multiplayer as with SH3.
Old 03-07-13, 06:02 PM   #6
Feuer Frei!
Navy Seal

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
What bothers me most is that we have a playable beta that is been released to a certain segment of the community and here we are still drawing nearer and nearer to a release date and all we have is a bunch of unanswered questions.
Are we? Drawing nearer to a release date?
How long has the beta been going for now? I'm just asking a question, not attacking you.
I'm curious, what are the 'signs' that we are drawing nearer to release. As anyone knows, and i don't know how long the beta has been going on for, but betas can last months, many months.

Quote:
She was careful to avoid the term "money" or "currency"
Of course, it's called marketing spin. Being very diplomatic. You don't want to 'scare' people away before the game goes live.
If it hasn't already anyway, due to other factors.

Quote:
She said you can use "credits" forgive my ignorance but is this something you gain over time, something you buy with a credit card, or a little of both?
I'm sure that will become clearer, once we get closer to a release date.
Which begs the first question i asked.

As for the pay to win or pay to play, well, Ubisoft obviously has done some research into the Micro Transaction games marKets, hint hint WoT, and thinks that because they are making money hand over fist, that they can emulate this by introducing us to the SHO game.

LINK TO MY SH 3 MODS
Feuer Frei! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-13, 06:25 PM   #7
GoldenRivet
Subsim Aviator

Downloads: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
Are we? Drawing nearer to a release date?
How long has the beta been going for now?
the first German Betas were released to testers some time in December if i remember correctly. (About 3 months ago) The game was announced at least this time last year (march or april) on subsim

logic would dictate that the natural life cylce of development - immediately following Beta, is Demo and following demo is release.

to clarify my statement in the earlier post... we are nearing a release date in the sense that we are a year closer give or take than we were last march. not necessarily that a release date is looming in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
As for the pay to win or pay to play, well, Ubisoft obviously has done some research into the Micro Transaction games marKets, hint hint WoT, and thinks that because they are making money hand over fist, that they can emulate this by introducing us to the SHO game.
this is true and i agree... I do not claim to have my finger on the pulse of the submarine simulation community, but a large part of me tends to think that Ubisoft is going to be very disappointed by taking the title in this direction and expecting to make it into a WOT / WOW cash cow.

i just think the sim customer and the game customer are two different people, and they look for different things in a product.

see my other thread about microsoft flight.

this pay to win concept does not mesh with simulators IMHO
Old 03-08-13, 07:03 AM   #8
Sonarman
The Old Man

Downloads: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRivet View Post
a large part of me tends to think that Ubisoft is going to be very disappointed by taking the title in this direction and expecting to make it into a WOT / WOW cash cow.
Possibly true, but consider that this is a browser game and requires much less programming & development than a true Silent Hunter game, also it recycles many assets 3D models etc from the previous titles but most importantly this time all revenue goes directly to Ubisoft there is no packaging , no retailer no transportation, no middle men.

In a typical retail game Ubisoft would probably make only about 25% of the price you pay here at a store, now they make 100% on each & every purchase. Therefore it is a much less risky for them, piracy is eliminated completely and even with lower customer numbers it's potentially a more profitable enterprise.

I think pay to play sims could be great "Rise of Flight" being the best current example. To my mind however Ubisoft have taken the wrong approach here in going to the browser rather than a full 3d client experience. Unfortunately for us the profit they could potentially generate on SHO may blind them to an alternative/better solution in the future. On the other hand if they make a loss and it's a disaster they would probably wash their hands of the series altogether, rather than giving it another try with the more risky costly full 3d client solution.

Last edited by Sonarman; 03-08-13 at 07:28 AM.
Sonarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 07:56 AM   #9
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonarman View Post
Possibly true, but consider that this is a browser game and requires much less programming & development than a true Silent Hunter game
If someone want to know, SHO is developed with the Away3D Engine
http://away3d.com/

Quote:
In a typical retail game Ubisoft would probably make only about 25% of the price you pay here at a store, now they make 100% on each & every purchase. Therefore it is a much less risky for them, piracy is eliminated completely and even with lower customer numbers it's potentially a more profitable enterprise.
According to Ubisoft CEO "Yves Guillemot" only 5-7% paying customers out of the range of player of a F2P browser game are enough to gain profit from the game.
Old 03-10-13, 06:57 AM   #10
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

"Silent Hunter Online is a triple A, triple S title", you can't be serious
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote