SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-05-13, 05:27 PM   #76
Lasstmichdurch
Watch

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

Very interesting about WWII <-> Modern era thing...
I´m interested in numbers what the community would like to have...we should make a poll about it...

The situation for modern era is even more frustrating since DW will not run under Win 8...
Lasstmichdurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-13, 11:28 PM   #77
gorilliamos
Sailor man

Downloads: 54
Default Arma 3

Anybody try this one out yet? Arma 3 is still in Alpha but you can buy it off steam. What do they support now? SUBS and underwater environment. This has always been one of the most moddable games.

gorilliamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-13, 06:44 AM   #78
Lasstmichdurch
Watch

Downloads: 56

I´m wondering what´s about Danger from deep...is it dead?
Lasstmichdurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-13, 10:31 AM   #79
drupps
Watch

Downloads: 42
Default Niche genres

It seems like most game publishers and developers are doing the DLC think lately. I think the best idea for a niche genre especially is to release the game after a prolonged beta. And add new ships, campaigns, etc to further the development and patches for the product.

I realize this means more cost to the users, but I think it keeps interest and could in fact create interest to people that might not have played a game in the genre.

Also Ubisoft needs to get the game on Steam, Origins, all the digital distribution services. I use Steam and have bought many games through that that I probably wouldn't have through retail or digitally on their website.
drupps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-13, 08:16 PM   #80
tommo8993
Helmsman

Downloads: 17

I think a 1960's cold war gone hot would be perfect. The best of both worlds.
tommo8993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 10:15 AM   #81
thefinnishguy
Swabbie

Downloads: 5
In my opinion, it would be great with a new subsim about the Cold War, many people are already tired with WW2 subsims. Or maybe an early Cold War sim
with diesel subs like the Whiskey and Barbel? Like a 1960's online-based open-source sim ?
thefinnishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 12:39 PM   #82
JagdPanzer44
Swabbie

Downloads: 42
Default Nope

I'm not optimistic at all about the future of these sims.

If we were still in the days of independent studios putting out quality games - I might have some hope; but in this day of a handful of bloated corporate entities owning everything, I'd say we've seen the last of any presentable submarine simulations.

And I'd rather Ubi stay out of the equation altogether - they've done enough damage. Selling a rough framework of a game at full price and then expecting a small niche of modders to spend the next 2 years making it playable is insulting. Fool me once, shame on Ubi, fool me two or three times...well...

Our only salvation would be some small company out of nowhere surprising us with a great, working sub-sim that would set a new standard.

But realistically, I don't see that happening.

Last edited by JagdPanzer44; 04-04-13 at 01:12 PM.
JagdPanzer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 04:31 AM   #83
ruky00
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 21
Default Developing a new game

I am not native English so excuse me if it is difficult to understand some parts.

I found this thread really interesting, and looks like some people think that developing a new game should be a good option, you know, hire some developers and start building the code. Let me tell you what's my opinion about that. Of course, I may be wrong, probably I am wrong but some may feel it useful.

First a bit of background.

I always wanted to play a game which no one seems to be interested into developing. speaking with my friends/colleagues about it they told me that now days with plenty of game engines available it is an easy task, so I decided to code my dreamed game my self.

My programing experience dated from 15 years ago, using the old Turbo C or Turbo Pascal on MSDOS when I was a student, after that I just coded small bash/perl scripts to help in my day work. No knowledge of OOP, or modern languages/IDEs ...

First I decided which language should I use, finally I decided python due everybody said it is easy. Then I tried some free game engines, after some trials I chose a big and well documented engine which seemed ideal for my proposals.

Then I sit on my chair and started to code, but after a while I realized that game building is not about programing, first and foremost you need to desing the game, define its rules, its parts, its dynamics ...

Led me try to explain with an example. I am a big fan of UFO game, there is a open source project that is coding a new engine for it [openXcom]. A gamer can play the original one, or the new project and he will not appreciate any differences, indeed if you don't tell him he will think that he is playing the same game. Yep, the same game but they don't share a single line of the code.

So the game is above the code/engine used, now days you can implement it with a great number of technologies, some will need more resources other less but if the game is not well designed it doesn't matter the technology used, it will be a fiasco.

In my humble opinion, if the community wants to build their own subsim, they need good game designers, and there is no need of good coding skills or technology knowledge from the start, rather than, a well though game mechanics is far more important.

When you have the game designed and began to code it, no matter which technology was finally chosen, you realize that a good code doesn't means a great game. Yep, it seems obvious but some times the quantity and quality of work outside of coding doesn't seems well pondered. It is not just good quality artwork even the gamer orders flow needs to be work with well designed user interface, which its not easy.

That's the reason why most open source games looks so awful, yep there is plenty of talented developers which can code by free, but its hard to join them with talented 3D designers, music mens, ...

A community developed game would be really nice, but rather than go en hire developers opening a wiki to start a brain storming ideas for the game may be better.

If some one has read all the brick, thank you for you patience with an old guy.
ruky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-13, 02:16 PM   #84
Miki_Mundi
Swabbie

Downloads: 2

I love this type of game.
As to the future of games like it?
Well, tbh, I think that todays generation of young gamers want instant gratification, easy kills, cheats and awesome firepower.

Games like Silent Hunter unfortunately do not fit into this demographic, requiring skill, routine and patience to excel effectively.

To move forward, this genre would need to appeal to both demographics and essentially widen the market.

To appeal to the first SUBset [pardon the pun] it would possibly have to take the form of an arcadey open world format, whereby you have a semi-linear storyline with main missions,a protagonist, ally characters, enemies and an arch nemisis.
Side missions would fill out the game and various "power ups" not related to realism would fulfill the urge of those who feel the necessity to disproportionally wipe everything out of existance.

To appeal to the purist however, the game would need a slightly different tone, still open world play but with the emphasis on realism with attentive graphics and an immersive (should I say SUBmersive for pun no.2!) environment.
It wouldn't change too much from Silent Hunter 3 (not played other versions) in the fact that micro management of several details such as crew, weapons, fatigue, damage etc but with definate improvements related to modern computer hardware to bring it into the 21st century.
The possibility of a choice of theatres from WW2 until present day could appeal with some interesting what if scenarios.
The ability to create your own story is paramount here.

Needless to say, online gaming is also an important part of anygame in this current day and age and would probably appeal to both the gamers and the purist.

Anyway, just my two penneth worth...
Miki_Mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 07:07 PM   #85
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

as much as it pains me to say it the subsim genre is more than likely dead. no corporation will want to pump money in the development of something that only 5-10% of the gaming community will consider buying and of that only 2-5% will accualy buy. it will probably end in us poor chaps making our own games and even then we will slowly die away because every few people get recruited to the subsim genre and of those are the survivors who are not immediately turned off by games like SH5. People just don't seem to have the respect for the games and what they stand for. like today many people don't hear about the battle of the atlantic they hear more about the land battles than the fear of Uboats.
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-13, 08:50 PM   #86
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I hate to say it but you may be right. I am part of what used to be a thriving wargaming community where I live - dozens of players here and hundreds all over the country - playing boardgames and tabletop miniatures games. It was common for us to have at least ten people show up on any game night, which may not sound like a lot but that was for our favorite group of games, and there were many others playing games that we weren't interested in. Today we meet every other Thursday and there are never more than five of us. The hobby shop is filled with people playing fantasy wargames and roll-playing games, but the historical stuff seems to be dying out.

I have high hopes for future subsims, mainly because there hasn't been one yet that I consider truly complete, but while my hopes are high my expectations aren't. Of course it's partly my fault because my interests are very narrow.
Old 04-23-13, 09:21 PM   #87
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

i know what you mean there is a comic book store near me sells axis and allies stuff but they have more things like magic the gathering and other games that get far more attention. it is a shame that very few of my generation can appreciate a historical game. perhaps they don't understand what could have happened. thats why i play and when i play i legitimately think i can win the war.

I just feel bad that one of the genres that i enjoy the most may no longer be around 10 years from now... i just hope i am wrong
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 07:22 AM   #88
TBoone
Second Lieutenant

Downloads: 128
Historical Games are the best!

The first game I played was Medal of Honor PS1, I've been playing almost nothing but historical war games ever since. My only hope is for ever more realistic representations of the wars of old on my PC, mostly WW2, and perhaps if somone would produce a shooter, simulation, etc. that is as acurate to the experience of that war as can possibly ever be made, then people will understand. The modern man has a type of man which no longer exists as a result of the modern world to thank for eveything they have and take for granted! I am a very strong minded person and very rarely shed a tear, but somtimes I cry when I see a video of USS Arizona, and know that it took some of those poor heroes three days to run out of air down there in an inpenitrable steel tomb, or some other clip of the absolute hell they lived in. For three days you could hear men tapping the steel inside the ships, and know there was no way to save them. And I can not understand how a world full of people who has those men to thank for their freedom, to be either ignorant of it, or unapreciative of that sacrifice, I find it disgracful and sickening! And an unrealistic game is almost an insult to the men who lived it, because realistic games are a good way for the young men today to remember the old, and the dead.
TBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-13, 01:00 PM   #89
Hawk66
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I hate to say it but you may be right. I am part of what used to be a thriving wargaming community where I live - dozens of players here and hundreds all over the country - playing boardgames and tabletop miniatures games. It was common for us to have at least ten people show up on any game night, which may not sound like a lot but that was for our favorite group of games, and there were many others playing games that we weren't interested in. Today we meet every other Thursday and there are never more than five of us. The hobby shop is filled with people playing fantasy wargames and roll-playing games, but the historical stuff seems to be dying out.
Yes, that's true...I only know one buddy, who has in general interest about (modern) history and with whom I can discuss related topics.

Luckily, in the board gaming sector, in the last couple of years a couple of solitaire games came out, which make a lot of fun....usually I am not a WWII subsim fan but U-Boat Leader together with the fan-made tactical expansion I can strongly recommend. There are also other WWII solitaire boardgames available, with a more strategic setting.

Concerning subsims in general: crowdfunding or the approach, which the warfaresim.com guys took...
Hawk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-13, 03:45 AM   #90
Cowboy10uk
Watch

Downloads: 13

Guys, all I can say is dont give up. I remember flight sims, going through this about 5 years ago, and while we still don't have loads of sims coming out, the flight sim community is fairly healthy and we now have some stunning sims to choose from, and the future is looking fairly good.

While I agree that it is unlikely we will get any help or intrest from large studios these days, and since Ubisoft own the Silent Hunter name it's a pretty good guess that sadly that sim has sunk without trace.

With the new use of Kickstarter, it is now possible, so long as we have a talented bunch who is willing to make us a good subsim, for it to happen.

I mean, look at the success of Star Citizen, and again that is a genre everyone said was dead, think they are only 50k away from hitting 9 million raised through donations, now that shows the power of the people.

Yes we are a niche genre, BUT simmers have never been known for accepting defeat and where there is a will there is a way. I do strongly believe that there is a place for a accurate 100% submarine simulation. The only question is which time period. I believe there would be intrest in any period, so long as the simulation is accurate enough. A full on living and breathing submarine, all switches, doors, hatches etc fully working. Maybe with Multi player crew positions. All with a historical accurate world, correct paint work, radio transmissions etc etc. A lot of work, but certainly nothing that isn't acheivable. Hell our wonderful modders have done a lot of the work to make the world look and feel realistic already.

I for one, would certainly be happy to back something like this on kickstarter. Where there's a will there is a way. While certainly at the moment, we are sinking fast, there is still a hope we can blow those tanks and limp back to port, before coming back out and blowing everyone away.

Cowboy10uk
Cowboy10uk is offline   Reply With Quote