SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5 > Silent Hunter Online
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-07-12, 07:48 AM   #1
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default Are people's objecting to an online subsim per se, or merely Ubi's "effort" here?

Just woke up, saw the new subforum, said to myself, "Whaaaa?"

Now, I am seeing a lot of vitriol here, but I'm not sure if it is because Subsimmers don't trust Ubi to actually pull it off and make it a total success from a gameplay standpoint, or because people are objecting to the very concept of an "online" (MMO?) subsim. Clarify please.
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 08:22 AM   #2
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

A bit of both.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 09:28 AM   #3
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by difool2 View Post
Just woke up, saw the new subforum, said to myself, "Whaaaa?"

Now, I am seeing a lot of vitriol here, but I'm not sure if it is because Subsimmers don't trust Ubi to actually pull it off and make it a total success from a gameplay standpoint, or because people are objecting to the very concept of an "online" (MMO?) subsim. Clarify please.
With all of the very verbose posts, I figured the answer would be obvious. To make a long story short, The objection to the MMO format is because that MMOs are casual by nature. Subsimmers, excluding those who do admit to preferring a more casual experience, want as real and historically accurate experience as possible. Ideally, a sub sum should be so real that the only thing a player needs to provide is the stink of the engines and crew. The MMO format cannot supply that experience because of one core incompatibility; death is cheap in MMOs. In a true sub sim,when you are dead, you are dead.*

Without going off on a tirade, Ubisoft has consistently proven that its only care is trying to become another EA Games. It has consistently shown that, at the executive level, they do not care about the gamers that purchase their products. Silent Hunter 5, for many was the last straw. SH5 is barely 2 years old, the last official patch came out after two months of release and support officially cancelled in a year. Dan Dimitrescu stated in a recent post that he tried to convince the suits at Ubi to exclude its stupid, intrusive, broken DRM and they would not listen to him. Ubisoft has proven repeatedly and consistently that they do not care about anything except developing a "cash camel" franchise to compete with Call of Duty or World of Warcraft. They want zero-effort profits.

That means screwing the grognards of the subsim community, who demand high quality, historically accurate products.

*I know that one can save scum in even the best subsim, but the grognards do not.

Last edited by Hinrich Schwab; 05-07-12 at 09:05 PM.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 10:06 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Well said! Both parts, but especially the first, very well said.
Old 05-07-12, 11:44 AM   #5
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Both, but moreso Ubi's hankering for a quick buck over an extremely loyal fan-base.

Finish any of the previous SH series to the promise and potential and people might finally have a reason to believe in, and further support, Ubi.
Old 05-07-12, 01:23 PM   #6
BigBANGtheory
Officer

Downloads: 98

I think Ubisoft trying to simply move on without any recognition of their past crimes is what grates me most. The lack of care and communication to their customers can only be described by words which break forum rules IMHO.

I hold no grudge with the new dev team, so long as they don't pull the weak graphics vs. good gameplay card as I don't want to play this on an iPad.

The message is simple give us a simulation superior to SH 3, 4 & 5.
BigBANGtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 01:46 PM   #7
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

...what happens if its an amazing success?
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 02:05 PM   #8
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
Well I hope it is - drag 'em in to subsims and convert 'em to the rest of the series (and all the other games around here) and pray (note to Ubi chiefs that word is not prey) that Ubi will finally realise what they've to do.

I'm not holding my breath.
Old 05-07-12, 07:39 PM   #9
P_Funk
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
Define success. Financially? Game quality?

Where does the measure of success exist? We all know that its subjective. The question of success goes to the very core design principle being applied to the game itself. Sims have a very different messure of success in both the financial and quality categories compared to more mainstream casual ventures. Its a fact that sims are a niche product while online games are almost always targeted towards casual mainstream gamers. There are obvious exceptions, Eve Online being one of them, but thats the exception to the rule.

If you look at the history of Silent Hunter you can see that even a dedicated sim product doesn't easily satisfy its target audience and is only truly realized with heavy modification. Online games however are by their very nature unmoddable. This means that we only get the product we're sold and there's little hope that this online game will be in any way better than any release of Silent Hunter since the last one was far from complete even when it was dropped as a supported product.

So, can it be a success? Sure, I guess. But the odds are so bad that there's basically no chance. The fact is that they shat the bed on SH5 and the suits probably read from that that you can't rely on the simmer base to be a loyal customer (igoring the fact that they sold us a lemon by our standards). So they decided to try and expand their audience to the mainstream gamer. They will of course use the IP to try and tempt the old market but withou a doubt they're going to be aiming to grab a larger one.

Personally even if the game is a perfectly good sim it doesn't interest me to have to pay recurring fees to properly enjoy it. Even if its a one time payment to unlock the full feature list you can be sure that #1 they will be adding more content at a fee and #2 that you will never be allowed to mod the game since it lives in an online format.

So, whatever the final quality of this game it will not be in any way like our vision of Silent Hunter. It will not allow us to mod it which is for me a deal breaker. I have become increasingly disenfranchised with mainstream gaming. What games I do pay for I almost entirely enjoy via mods and play amongst those people. Without mods I can't say I expect to play this game much if at all. Even a single stupid feature cannot be changed without mods, and yet we all know how much we've come to love here the incredible list of innovative changes modders have made over time breaking the puzzle of these games' code.

So, will it be successful? Maybe, by their standards. By my standards it can never be successful because it cannot be modded and it cannot be played offline and as a result it has shut the door on the most satisfying part of gaming for me: the community mod aspect.

No mods, no offline, no community control or direction, no dice. Simple as that.

P_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 07:57 PM   #10
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

No mods, no offline, no community control or direction, no dice. Simple as that.

P_Funk

Now that's a good line.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-12, 09:06 PM   #11
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

P_Funk

Now that's a good line.
You sir, deserve a medal for that line.
Old 05-08-12, 07:15 AM   #12
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

I think that line of reasoning is silly. Most of my favorite games of all time were made without community input and without the possibility of modding:

Fast Attack
Zeewolf
Red Storm Rising
X-COM
Strike Commander
Jet Fighter 2, 3
Aces of the Deep

etc.

It's interesting that all those games and sims were less complex than contemporary sims. Most simmers tend to agree that AOTD is the best U-Boat sim ever, but ironically as a simulator it is in fact less complex than SH3 or SH5.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 08:03 AM   #13
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Funk View Post
Define success. Financially? Game quality?

Where does the measure of success exist? We all know that its subjective. The question of success goes to the very core design principle being applied to the game itself. Sims have a very different messure of success in both the financial and quality categories compared to more mainstream casual ventures. Its a fact that sims are a niche product while online games are almost always targeted towards casual mainstream gamers. There are obvious exceptions, Eve Online being one of them, but thats the exception to the rule.

If you look at the history of Silent Hunter you can see that even a dedicated sim product doesn't easily satisfy its target audience and is only truly realized with heavy modification. Online games however are by their very nature unmoddable. This means that we only get the product we're sold and there's little hope that this online game will be in any way better than any release of Silent Hunter since the last one was far from complete even when it was dropped as a supported product.

So, can it be a success? Sure, I guess. But the odds are so bad that there's basically no chance. The fact is that they shat the bed on SH5 and the suits probably read from that that you can't rely on the simmer base to be a loyal customer (igoring the fact that they sold us a lemon by our standards). So they decided to try and expand their audience to the mainstream gamer. They will of course use the IP to try and tempt the old market but withou a doubt they're going to be aiming to grab a larger one.

Personally even if the game is a perfectly good sim it doesn't interest me to have to pay recurring fees to properly enjoy it. Even if its a one time payment to unlock the full feature list you can be sure that #1 they will be adding more content at a fee and #2 that you will never be allowed to mod the game since it lives in an online format.

So, whatever the final quality of this game it will not be in any way like our vision of Silent Hunter. It will not allow us to mod it which is for me a deal breaker. I have become increasingly disenfranchised with mainstream gaming. What games I do pay for I almost entirely enjoy via mods and play amongst those people. Without mods I can't say I expect to play this game much if at all. Even a single stupid feature cannot be changed without mods, and yet we all know how much we've come to love here the incredible list of innovative changes modders have made over time breaking the puzzle of these games' code.

So, will it be successful? Maybe, by their standards. By my standards it can never be successful because it cannot be modded and it cannot be played offline and as a result it has shut the door on the most satisfying part of gaming for me: the community mod aspect.

thanks P funk for the immotive responce.
'We all know that its subjective' this is an interesting point. 'We' must include UBI. how did they come to the conclusion
that producing yet another sub- game would be succesful?

after the debacle of SH5 what were they/are they thinking?
im intrigued. whish i was a fly on the wall during the meltdown in those sh5 meetings.

i beleive that sh5 was aimed more at the casual player, so that its not so complex as its predecessors.

this would mean, perhaps, a more arcade style point and shoot set up.
i guess for me the 'success' thing would be; purely as successful as it can be at the level or individual it is aimed at - no more. and if you have to pay then the paying individual is the target. and if your not concerned about mods - then this is for you.

i think trying to understand a companies motivation to create something like online submarines can only mean arcade style gaming. i cant believe they are interested in the hard core player and modder. only last weekend my friend asked me 'are you STILL playing that game?'.....like i should grow up?
'i am STILL.' i replied. he can not see my love of it and its REAL history, and so i can not beleive that the company can or wants to take players like me and thousands of others seriously otherwise SH5 would have been finished correctly, time taken and investment added.

and who knows, maybe they would have gone on to produce
online submarines anyway. ( the market just aint big enough for the both of us!)

'But the odds are so bad that there's basically no chance.' i do not agree so readily. can you imagine sh3 or sh5 with its own wolf packs commanable by the player? maybe with this online thing there will be a possibilty if it takes off? (edit; just been to the site - saw the wolpacks stuff; not a bad idea - each has a sub and working together. it has to be one of the things lacking in the Silent Hunter series; Wolfpacks: a big part of the real history.)

'So they decided to try and expand their audience to the mainstream gamer.' why would they follow on from a damaged product with the possibilty of another failure? surely they - as a gaming company, have some idea whats out there in terms of possibility and saleability.

'So, whatever the final quality of this game it will not be in any way like our vision of Silent Hunter.' P funk, they dont need us! they want a different type of gamer. they are sick to death of our bleating and complaining and demanding - maybe they are hoping to throw it open to a whole new generation of online gamer?

who needs those old simmers anyway. let them play in the bath with their wooden u boats - we're after something new!! ( thats me, waxing!)
seems like they are trying their hand at mmo's. its probably where the future is. get everyone together playing online - then we know where they are and we can control the content. dont want those old modders messin' with our stuff, they've had it too easy.
(maybe im being cynical!)

maybe other questions are: what will happen to pc games in the future? what will happen to sims? how popular are sims and other pc games in light of consoles and online?
'It will not allow us to mod it which is for me a deal breaker.' they dont NEED us, The Old Guard.

your words are true, but i beleive the answers are in your questions. when i read between your lines i can almost see how it will 'PROBABLY' go in the future. though i may be wrong too, i hope!

'No mods, no offline, no community control or direction, no dice. Simple as that.' those of us that care dont have a voice loud enough to change it - they know that, and they dont care.

its going like television; turn it on, look at it, use it, switch it off. done.
can you imagine everyone who had a TV could change the content of each programme to suite themselves - add to it, remove stuff from it?
the TV companies would pull their hair out and then collapse. giving people such freedom and control messes with the status quo. online is where its at. our 'little community' is just that 'little.'

but you never know. there may come a group of modders who could write their own script according to the likes and demands of its community. but even then - not everyone will be happy!

cheers
Kurt Vonnegut

Last edited by flag4; 05-08-12 at 09:09 AM.
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 11:32 AM   #14
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
I think that line of reasoning is silly. Most of my favorite games of all time were made without community input and without the possibility of modding:

Fast Attack
Zeewolf
Red Storm Rising
X-COM
Strike Commander
Jet Fighter 2, 3
Aces of the Deep

etc.

It's interesting that all those games and sims were less complex than contemporary sims. Most simmers tend to agree that AOTD is the best U-Boat sim ever, but ironically as a simulator it is in fact less complex than SH3 or SH5.
Why is this concept "silly" to you? The consumers should rightfully dictate the direction of the products it is purchasing. This should be especially true in the gaming industry.

Going back to beating the dead horse, if the executives at Ubisoft actually cared about the gamers paying them the money they so desperately seek,
it would be a non-issue because the resulting product would require minimal modding or patching.

Until that happens, the grognards will live up to their name.
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 12:07 PM   #15
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinrich Schwab View Post
Why is this concept "silly" to you?
I thought he answered that in his post. He gave a list, and AOD, which was made with no community input, is still widely regarded as the best sumsim of all time.